Multi-Engine Time Building

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5  6 
Page 2 of 7
Go to
Quote: If either one of the pilots on board has a MEI it would make logging a lot easier.
Just like others have said about other practices, I would say be careful with this one. An interviewer may see that you have 70 hours of Dual Given in multi engine airplanes, but 0 sign offs. They will get suspicious of that. Most people only need 10-15 hours to get their multi-engine add on.
Everybody is way over thinking this.
Sadly, illegal/questionable or not, this type of thing is going to be happening more often as the price of fuel/aircraft rental keeps rising and as hiring minimums go up.
Quote: Quality of flight time is to be considered as well. I know if I saw a candidate that had a lot of multi safety pilot time I would probably not take too much if any into consideration. A safety pilot essentially does nothing but look for traffic and employers know this. Just my .02 cents...
I do agree however you would have to consider that time if you you didn't have a large pool of applicants to pick from.
Quote: Sadly, illegal/questionable or not, this type of thing is going to be happening more often as the price of fuel/aircraft rental keeps rising and as hiring minimums go up.
Your right it will and that's just the way things are going to roll.
Quote: Sadly, illegal/questionable or not, this type of thing is going to be happening more often as the price of fuel/aircraft rental keeps rising and as hiring minimums go up.
Right now we are seeing a drop in minimums actually. This might spur more people to do time building things, especially as multi-engine requirements drop. 500 hours ME I doubt anyone could afford, even if split. However, 100 multi engine split (especially if one already has 30-40) is a bit more manageable. The ATP rule is coming up which will drive minimums back up, but there is still some hiring that will occur between now and then.

We are still struggling with one of the worst recessions in quite a few years, yet already airlines are hiring and lowering their minimums. Eagle originally wanted 1000TT/200ME and they are already down to 800/100. And these are the hours people are getting hired at too (in this case, preferred = competitive)!

My multi is a little higher than most fresh out of training, but still short of the 100 hour mark. Considering once I got the 100 I would be at Eagle's min, it's mighty tempting. Unfortunately at this point in the game, I have a REAL hard time PAYING for hours when eventually I will be PAID to fly. So my morals are keeping me from doing it. Are they keeping me from getting a job? Yes (well I should say meeting the mins). Is this a good or bad thing? I'll let you know in a few years. Stay tuned!
Wow, guys c'mon. It’s not a debate on the legitimacy of safety pilot time. I was trying to time build with guys who might have been out of currency for multi's, recency, time in type, etc etc. Not necessarily safety pilot time.

However, time building is very common practice and safety pilot time isn't the most preferred time(it is legal), but then again I'm not in the position of getting any PIC turbine time anytime soon...

I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of night/IFR/xc time whatever the scenario, preferably all three... still looking for some guys.
Quote: Wow, guys c'mon. It’s not a debate on the legitimacy of safety pilot time. I was trying to time build with guys who might have been out of currency for multi's, recency, time in type, etc etc. Not necessarily safety pilot time.

However, time building is very common practice and safety pilot time isn't the most preferred time(it is legal), but then again I'm not in the position of getting any PIC turbine time anytime soon...

I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of night/IFR/xc time whatever the scenario, preferably all three... still looking for some guys.
And the reason we were talking about safety pilot time, is because what you are doing, unless it's as an MEI, it could only be safety pilot time, unless it was not legal. And if you're an MEI, offering "half off" prices, I'd be surprised...
Quote: And the reason we were talking about safety pilot time, is because what you are doing, unless it's as an MEI, it could only be safety pilot time, unless it was not legal. And if you're an MEI, offering "half off" prices, I'd be surprised...
I guess you've got me on a technicality there: it would still be safety pilot time, but in the hopes of spurning the interest of anyone who might be interested I'd figure I'd ask around (especially as "inexpensive" as it is); but that's not to say it couldn't still be made into, wait for it, quality time... compared to flying around in the pattern all day or taking the foreigner route and snoozing as soon as the hobbs starts ticking.
Sent you PM
1  2  3  4  5  6 
Page 2 of 7
Go to