Tool of the day

Subscribe
39  439  489  529  535  536  537  538  539  540  541  542  543  549  589  639  1039 
Page 539 of 1239
Go to
Quote: Its a good job (over all at many places) for sure, and I'm all about counting one's blessings and being greatful in general. I was just shuddering at the "OMG I get paid to fly!" nonsense because of how that often translates into acceptance and apathy towards working to get back to where we need to be. Lots of people love what they do, but they would be pretty ticked off if they suddenly faced 50% pay cuts, loss of pension, longer days, more days, etc and I bet a lot more would quit than do in this sector. The profession is still underpaid IMO, and while only a small part of that could ever be attributed to bright eyed jobaphiles, you still see a lot of that at the entry level. Its part of what fuels scum like NAI because no matter how devious the operation is, there's always someone giddy at just getting paid to fly or the lure of shiny new jet Captain their first year, etc.

Its also part of what fueled the cut throat regional industry for a long time. "Paris-First-Class-International" has up until very recently (due in part to the outrageous government fueled cost inflation of all things "education") provided limitless supply at the entry level.

Maybe Shy didn't even mean it like that, I don't know. But it came across like blanket justification from a perpetual state of awe that ends up being little more than a fulcrum management industry wide uses against us. I have a friend who has been working on his ratings for a million years but never "gets it done" yet he constantly spews that "if I could only bask in the honour of getting paid to fly it would be so awesome!" and that just makes my skin crawl.

Yeah I don't disagree with the points you make in general. We are underpaid. Definitely. I found your comment about first year people interesting. You can say that about ANY profession though. I am sure that first year doctors looooove what they are doing initially, but after 20 years of midnight emergency calls, 20 hour days, Yada yada yada, they probably feel underpaid too. If I could just get my handicap down to scratch it would be sooooo awesome. Let it go..... it's not worth the angst. Really.
Quote: Yeah I don't disagree with the points you make in general. We are underpaid. Definitely. I found your comment about first year people interesting. You can say that about ANY profession though. I am sure that first year doctors looooove what they are doing initially, but after 20 years of midnight emergency calls, 20 hour days, Yada yada yada, they probably feel underpaid too. If I could just get my handicap down to scratch it would be sooooo awesome. Let it go..... it's not worth the angst. Really.
The only part of it that bothers me is when it fuels an over supply at the bottom end that allows managements industry wide to anchor us with our own enthusiasm.

Then again, people still haven't figured out that paying 6 figures for a reading list of free material that, even if you ace it, has a guaranteed zero to substantially negative ROI; millions fall for it every year with no end in sight and instead of learning from it, they demand more subsidies and bailouts which will only exacerbate it.

So at least its not just us I guess.

I actually do think its cool (over all) that we tend to like our jobs though.
Quote: Solid point. What was the old joke...in the air we talk about women, on the ground we talk about jets. Cheers H
Unless your flying with a woman. In that case I just talk about my emotions and how most men are jerks.
That doesn't sound like fun
Quote: That same passenger used the back of your chair to help get his lard ass out of his seat and launched your head every time.
ERMAGERD!!! The single MOST annoying thing to me about airline passengers! Don't you people freaking realize that the seat in front of you that you use to grab and lurch your way into the aisle has another human being in it!? I mean, I am taller than most and have a larger head than most so surely you must see that I am there when you stick your finger in my ear in your ill-advised and flailing attempt to grab my seat for support. I do my best not to recline my seat because of the impact it has on the poor sardine behind me. You could at least extend a similar courtesy to those in front of you. Do you just not care? Are you just that oblivious to the impact your actions have on those around you? I mean...COME on...
Quote: ERMAGERD!!! The single MOST annoying thing to me about airline passengers! Don't you people freaking realize that the seat in front of you that you use to grab and lurch your way into the aisle has another human being in it!? I mean, I am taller than most and have a larger head than most so surely you must see that I am there when you stick your finger in my ear in your ill-advised and flailing attempt to grab my seat for support. I do my best not to recline my seat because of the impact it has on the poor sardine behind me. You could at least extend a similar courtesy to those in front of you. Do you just not care? Are you just that oblivious to the impact your actions have on those around you? I mean...COME on...
Next time they are about to do that, keep your seat forward but hold the recline button.
Mercedes convertible with FLYN8KD license plate and an air force sticker
Quote: The woman that sat next to me on my nonrev back from fayetteville. She said if we were both big like me we would be in trouble no offense. I said dont worry about it you are ugly. She said whats wrong with you in my generation people respected their elders. And i replied.....no offense....
What saddens me is some garbage regional will actually hire you...
Quote: What saddens me is some garbage regional will actually hire you...
You are probably right. Republic will do just fine, thank you.
Urban legend IMO. Trolling for attention.
39  439  489  529  535  536  537  538  539  540  541  542  543  549  589  639  1039 
Page 539 of 1239
Go to