Tool of the day

Subscribe
485  885  935  975  981  982  983  984  985  986  987  988  989  995  1035  1085 
Page 985 of 1239
Go to
Quote: Go Jet Captain playing Star Wars music and giving Star Wars themed announcements. Thinks he’s also a comedian with lots of jokes that were duds. Made a PA in IMC pointing out that those on the left and right could look out their windows see what the inside of a cloud looked like.

The PA’s were long and painful. Guy sitting behind me said out loud “who told that guy he was funny?”

Truly embarrassing to the profession.
Wasn't Captain Rollerskates was it?
Quote: Go Jet Captain playing Star Wars music and giving Star Wars themed announcements. Thinks he’s also a comedian with lots of jokes that were duds. Made a PA in IMC pointing out that those on the left and right could look out their windows see what the inside of a cloud looked like.

The PA’s were long and painful. Guy sitting behind me said out loud “who told that guy he was funny?”

Truly embarrassing to the profession.
Was riding on GoJet once and the CA did his announcements as Glenn Quagmire. Indeed very embarrassing to the profession.
Since this seems like a good opportunity, can I just throw this out........

I've done the pax thing and made my share of announcements. Now, I spend a lot of time as a paying passenger, out of uniform, unrecognized as a crew member to my seat mates. Their feedback is always the same.

Short and sweet is the key. No one and I mean NO ONE cares about the route, the cruise altitude, your pilot background or most of what gets said. On time or late and maybe the destination weather if it's noteworthy, but even that's pushing it. Comedy routines or any other attempts to entertain rarely, if ever, are appreciated. Many times the PA system is AFU or the person talking isn't using it properly and no one can understand much of what gets said anyway.

All people want to do is get back to their music, book or in-flight movie. No offense, it's just reality.
^^^^^ This.
A mike-happy CA or FO is just as bad as a mike-happy NFL ref. Just tell me what I need to know and nothing more. The fasten seat belt light is either on or off, I don't care about the light chop or the dissertation on why I can't get my pretzels and half a can of Coke.
Quote: Since this seems like a good opportunity, can I just throw this out........

I've done the pax thing and made my share of announcements. Now, I spend a lot of time as a paying passenger, out of uniform, unrecognized as a crew member to my seat mates. Their feedback is always the same.

Short and sweet is the key. No one and I mean NO ONE cares about the route, the cruise altitude, your pilot background or most of what gets said. On time or late and maybe the destination weather if it's noteworthy, but even that's pushing it. Comedy routines or any other attempts to entertain rarely, if ever, are appreciated. Many times the PA system is AFU or the person talking isn't using it properly and no one can understand much of what gets said anyway.

All people want to do is get back to their music, book or in-flight movie. No offense, it's just reality.
True for many pax, most especially super-frequent flyers and crew. But new, infrequent or nervous flyers do appreciate some re-assurance, even if it's nothing more substantial than someone who sounds like they know what they're doing. They may not care much about what you said, but some folks do care that you said it. Marketing surveys bear this out.

And I'd bet that some of the folks who tune it out would notice if it didn't happen and wonder why. They don't care about engine noise either, but they'd notice if it stopped.
Quote: And I'd bet that some of the folks who tune it out would notice if it didn't happen and wonder why.
No we wouldn’t.
Quote: No we wouldn’t.
You better..... Or we will drag you off the airplane.
Quote: True for many pax, most especially super-frequent flyers and crew. But new, infrequent or nervous flyers do appreciate some re-assurance, even if it's nothing more substantial than someone who sounds like they know what they're doing. They may not care much about what you said, but some folks do care that you said it. Marketing surveys bear this out.

And I'd bet that some of the folks who tune it out would notice if it didn't happen and wonder why. They don't care about engine noise either, but they'd notice if it stopped.
On aircraft with entertainment systems, it interrupts the movie/tvshow/game. No one wants to hear it.
A brief initial greeting and brief landing announcement is all that is needed or desired based on my experience and observations over the years. Adlerdriver sums it up real nice. Definitely no place for the PA “CB” blabber routine.
Quote: True for many pax, most especially super-frequent flyers and crew. But new, infrequent or nervous flyers do appreciate some re-assurance, even if it's nothing more substantial than someone who sounds like they know what they're doing. They may not care much about what you said, but some folks do care that you said it. Marketing surveys bear this out.

So we inconvenience everyone on the plane except the 1 or 2 nervous fliers? Doesn’t seem right to me.

I make PAs extremely short unless we’re late or there is something out of the ordinary going on. If it’s early morning or late night they’re not getting any announcements.

I’d like to see these “marketing surveys” that show people actually care about announcements.
485  885  935  975  981  982  983  984  985  986  987  988  989  995  1035  1085 
Page 985 of 1239
Go to