Jet blue application window

Subscribe
4  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  24 
Page 14 of 51
Go to
Quote: What I gathered was before internal recs didn't matter until you interviewed. Now recs are considered in the interview selection process. From what I gather.
Thanks, that is what I have heard too. I am I just wondering if the computer system can detect the difference between internal rec letters and just other letters from people you have flown with in the past.
Airlines are doing it all wrong with this whole college degree thing. A college degree does not make you a better pilot. I've flown with a lot of pilots with and without degrees. Some were great pilots and others were terrible pilots, but it had nothing to do with the degree. Some of the best ones had no degree. If airlines want to filter out the bad and hire the good, give a technical test as a part of the application process and I bet you a lot of the pilots with and without 4 year degrees will fail. It will filter out the pilots that lack the require knowledge to perform the job effectively. Looks at Emirates and a lot of the other foreign carries. They don't care about that stuff. I know so many pilots flying heavies overseas around the world with no college degree. If you can make it through the tough interviews that consist of a sim evaluation, compass testing, and so on, that should determine if you're trainable.

A college degree is nothing but life long debt making it hard for regional airline first officers to provide for their families. It's a money making scam.
The college degree in our proffesion is an outdated concept. This comes from years ago when most pilots were military trained officers who held degrees so it was just implied most pilots had one. The commercial or ATP pilot certificate does not require any formal college level education unlike doctor, lawyers, teaching, etc. cetificates. BTW, i do not have a college degree, i went into the military for 4 years right out of high school instead of leaching off my parents, which i probably would have done if i went to college. Took my GI bill and paid for a good part of my flight training with no debt to my name. Lack of degree hasn't hurt me so far and i make close to six fiugures a year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTyJ3QruoaM

Here is a flashback to 1986. Who can name the quote before you click on the link... "There is the way it ought to be, and there is the way it is..."

At the Vets in Blue event, they made it very apparent that a college degree is highly desired.... Not technically required, but it will be an uphill battle without it. They said that if you had multiple type ratings + a lot of glass time, then you could over come not having a degree. They didn't say this, but I got the impression, if you have multiple type ratings and glass time, or something else that demonstrates that you have the ability to learn, then you will need to communicate that to them. Probably through your cover letter or through a career fair, or both!

For a current market snap shot, that is reality.

It's not about being a better pilot. It's not about being the best there is at flying an ILS into JFK. They are looking for a well balanced person that is a front line customer service representative....who happens to have the skills to fly the plane.

If you are seeking employment at JetBlue without a degree, my suggestion is to simply understand that it is a weakness in your package that you need to overcome. Come up with a plan to communicate to the company how your strengths outweigh not having the degree.
Not to thread hijack - but does anyone have any insight for how long until a new hire could hold MCO?
Quote: Not to thread hijack - but does anyone have any insight for how long until a new hire could hold MCO?
Depends. I'm over a year and can't hold it. I'm HOPING I can hold it by year two. It's a high demand base with little to no (or backwards) movement.
Quote: Not to thread hijack - but does anyone have any insight for how long until a new hire could hold MCO?

Repeat after me, "ashes to ashes, dust to dust."
I'll preface this with the fact that I have my degree so I'm sure it skews my opinion, just as those without one may also have a bias.

My question is how far do we go with this argument? Arguing that being 23 for an unrestricted ATP is an antiquated concept, or that a DUI doesn't transfer to decision making in the cockpit? Barriers to entry are one of the things that help improve the quality of a profession. If anyone could get hired then pay would decrease significantly. It's simple supply and demand. How does Wal-Mart become the largest company in the world while paying their employees minimum wage? Because anyone can do that job. (And please don't twist my words and say that I'm saying those without a degree are the same as walmart employees, I'm not, it's just an example I'm using to help my argument about barriers to entry being a good thing)

Now I'm not arguing that those with a degree are any better pilots than those without one. But companies want to see one. Unless you know someone to get your app pulled, airlines judge you on the amount of boxes you checked on the app. This isn't something that is new either. Major airlines have preferred pilots with degrees for a long time. Some people on here make it sound like you pay some money and you get a piece of paper. It takes a little bit more of a commitment of time and energy than that.

Now if you have served time in the military then I think that should trump having a degree. That takes a hell of a lot more time and commitment.
Quote: I'll preface this with the fact that I have my degree so I'm sure it skews my opinion, just as those without one may also have a bias.

My question is how far do we go with this argument? Arguing that being 23 for an unrestricted ATP is an antiquated concept, or that a DUI doesn't transfer to decision making in the cockpit? Barriers to entry are one of the things that help improve the quality of a profession. If anyone could get hired then pay would decrease significantly. It's simple supply and demand. How does Wal-Mart become the largest company in the world while paying their employees minimum wage? Because anyone can do that job. (And please don't twist my words and say that I'm saying those without a degree are the same as walmart employees, I'm not, it's just an example I'm using to help my argument about barriers to entry being a good thing)

Now I'm not arguing that those with a degree are any better pilots than those without one. But companies want to see one. Unless you know someone to get your app pulled, airlines judge you on the amount of boxes you checked on the app. This isn't something that is new either. Major airlines have preferred pilots with degrees for a long time. Some people on here make it sound like you pay some money and you get a piece of paper. It takes a little bit more of a commitment of time and energy than that.

Now if you have served time in the military then I think that should trump having a degree. That takes a hell of a lot more time and commitment.

I don't see how that's relevant
guys you are hamstringing yourself in this industry if you don't get a 4 year degree, if you want to argue about it have at it,but the primo jobs require it so the best course of action would be to get it done. Military service shows a level of honor, courage,and commitment that does matter , and in this industry it will always be respected, if you really,honestly don't understand by driving age why this is relevant, any history of this country pitched at a grade school level should bring you quickly up to speed. Enough said.
4  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  24 
Page 14 of 51
Go to