Skywest v2.0

Subscribe
88  588  988  1038  1078  1084  1085  1086  1087  1088  1089 
Page 1088 of 1089
Go to
Quote: I got displaced once, bid only for the other jet in that base. They kept telling me to bid for another base (if you bid for it, it's voluntary). I never did, so at the end they just flowed a few more jets in and let me (and a couple others) stay on a different airframe. They can certainly be manipulative when it comes time to shuffle pilots at the lowest cost.
That's amazing. How can policies like that continue when the industry is getting so skosh for new hire applicants? Granted, I haven't been overly impressed by regional unions (although it would appear better to have one than a pseudo-Union like Skywest has) but you'd think the market alone would correct these practices. Is Skywest management in denial, or am I naive?
Quote: That's amazing. How can policies like that continue when the industry is getting so skosh for new hire applicants? Granted, I haven't been overly impressed by regional unions (although it would appear better to have one than a pseudo-Union like Skywest has) but you'd think the market alone would correct these practices. Is Skywest management in denial, or am I naive?
The main issue is an asymmetry in information / experience. Regional's need new hires who generally have no idea about 121 and only see $ in terms of hourly rate or bonus. There is zero appreciation for work rules.

So management focuses on new hire $ as evident by the last TA. The question is whether folks on property can drive the other issues.
RDY RSV assignments
I got a franctic call from CS to sit RDY(2hr call-out) for 2.25hrs. Being the good employee and not wanting to make waves I did it, and of course I was not utilized. Is there a better way to handle these calls? Seemed like a major waste of time and the Sbarro i had was just as gross as I remember it to be.
Quote: I got a franctic call from CS to sit RDY(2hr call-out) for 2.25hrs. Being the good employee and not wanting to make waves I did it, and of course I was not utilized. Is there a better way to handle these calls? Seemed like a major waste of time and the Sbarro i had was just as gross as I remember it to be.
RR,

For the love of all that is holy, STOP ANSWERING YOUR PHONE!!!

STOP ANSWERING YOUR PHONE!!!

Helping the company out like that is why nobody can get a day off. Ya, we are short on reserves but it is not the fault of the pilot group, it's management's problem. They are counting on people to pick up the phone and help out, it helps their bottom line. They just plan on needing less reserves and it's a death spiral for the pilot group for anyone wanting some pop up vaca days off.

And if you think for a moment that CS will remember you down the road for one of your requests, you're dead wrong.

And if people would stop picking up open time maybe the over ride would get bumped up. Many airlines it's 100% over ride and I think I heard at Mesa it's up to 300%!

We pay 15% at ten days out, that's truly retarded!

Again this just helps out management while they make record profits and the pilots get record industry low.

Please don't answer your phone.
Noted.
I guess I should have been more clear. I was already on RSV. I was more trying to get any negotiating techniques on preventing me from going into the airport unless I absolutely have too.
Quote: RR,

For the love of all that is holy, STOP ANSWERING YOUR PHONE!!!

STOP ANSWERING YOUR PHONE!!!

Helping the company out like that is why nobody can get a day off. Ya, we are short on reserves but it is not the fault of the pilot group, it's management's problem. They are counting on people to pick up the phone and help out, it helps their bottom line. They just plan on needing less reserves and it's a death spiral for the pilot group for anyone wanting some pop up vaca days off.

And if you think for a moment that CS will remember you down the road for one of your requests, you're dead wrong.

And if people would stop picking up open time maybe the over ride would get bumped up. Many airlines it's 100% over ride and I think I heard at Mesa it's up to 300%!

We pay 15% at ten days out, that's truly retarded!

Again this just helps out management while they make record profits and the pilots get record industry low.

Please don't answer your phone.
RR,

My sincere apologies!

I didn't know you were already on reserve, you obviously had to answer your phone.

Chalk it up to a rant from a senior Captain.

Again, sorry.
It’s all good. You made some very good points about helping out the company. Hopefully others take note.
Thanks.
Quote: RR,

My sincere apologies!

I didn't know you were already on reserve, you obviously had to answer your phone.

Chalk it up to a rant from a senior Captain.

Again, sorry.
What’s the story on upgrade times recently? I heard earlier this year it was instant if you had the time. Is that still the case?
Quote: What’s the story on upgrade times recently? I heard earlier this year it was instant if you had the time. Is that still the case?
Not still the case at the moment. The most junior captain is a Feb 2018 hire. Upgrades tend to go more junior towards the winter holiday season and then trend back senior for the summer, but 5-6 months is way more junior than last summer.
Sitting at home on DIOE bored and feel like starting a rumor. 175s in PHX by next year for American, and transitioning the current AA CRJs to the DFW system. Anybody else hear anything?

(yes I have an ulterior motive)
88  588  988  1038  1078  1084  1085  1086  1087  1088  1089 
Page 1088 of 1089
Go to