Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Major > United > => United Contract 2022
Scott Kirby at Training Center yesterday >

Scott Kirby at Training Center yesterday

Search
Notices

Scott Kirby at Training Center yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2022, 07:02 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Oct 2020

I remember a story about a company needing the pilots to fly 747-400s but a pay rate had yet to be negotiated. The MEC Chairman at the time told the company to send the brand new shiny jets to the desert. Guess what, the union got their pay rates.

Stop playing the short game people. The company certainly isn’t.

Last edited by TodKindrsChikun; 07-13-2022 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:06 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2009

Clearly Kirby is in a madd rush. Under normal circumstances it could take 8 months to get a new deal.

When you look at Kirby’s plan 8 months is an eternity.

I think we can all agree that he is serious and extremely driven on his plan for United to dominate.

You have all the leverage.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:12 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2009

Originally Posted by TodKindrsChikun View Post
I remember a story about a company needing the pilots to 747-400s yet a pay rate had yet to be negotiated. The MEC Chairman at the time told the company to send the brand shiny new jets to the desert. Guess what, the union got their pay rates.

Stop playing the short game people. The company certainly isn’t.
I love this post.

Everyone needs to pause and think about this.

The gains Delta and United achieved with this contract language.

How did this language get in our contracts??

Some leaders had the foresight to negotiate it. In ALPA across the board we have zero leadership. Zero pattern bargaining.

This is our moment to rebalance the scales.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:13 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2018

If this deal happened in only four weeks, it’s astounding how easily your CEO had his way with your MEC and NC. Talk about amateur hour

Those people are an utter joke.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:34 AM
Banned

Joined APC: May 2022

Originally Posted by AlettaOcean View Post
I’m at TK for CA Charm School. Scott was here in person to address the new hire class and our class in person.

Observations:

I’d never met him, but I think he legitimately wants UAL to be THE Powerhouse airline. He has the guts and the vision to really bring us where we all want to be. So, thumbs up there. His enthusiasm appears to me to be real and he was, I thought, very honest. He says the LIMFAC on us becoming the behemoth he wants us to be is training capacity. He desperately wants to expand it rapidly. (He didn’t say it, but that obviously gives ALPA HUGE Leverage.)

A few paraphrases of things he said WRT the TA:

1) The deal was done in 4 weeks. He called Mike Hamilton and said, “Let’s get this done.” (My take: amazing how quickly the company will strike a deal when they need something.)

2) He saw it as an opportunity to get more $$ into pilots’ pockets sooner.

3) He acknowledged there were a lot of things in it that were “burrs under the saddle.”

4) He said if he’d realized there’d be such negative response on items such as 10 AM Report and TK Instructors, he’d have done those (and other clauses) differently.

5) He said he hoped it passed because the constraint right now is TK Capacity

6) I then asked him if it didn’t pass, would there be a quick return to the bargaining table to fix it. He said that it was pretty much up to ALPA. If ALPA insists on an entire re-do, it probably wouldn’t happen quickly. But if ALPA is willing to address the major items that pilots find objectionable and not start from scratch, it could happen quickly.

My Two Cents:

United has a historic opportunity, but the company “needs” us to make it happen.
The competition for pilots in the industry is fierce (Scott said this more or less.)
That means We Pilots have a historic opportunity to get much closer back to wages, benefits and working conditions we had before bankruptcy.
We should NOT Fear voting this down. (The sense I got is the Company and MEC are already talking and contingency planning for a NO vote.)
Either way, things will be ok - but I think the company’s ready to really open its wallet to make sure UAL is the first choice of new hires.
Kudos to him for not trying to give us a BS sell job.
If anyone else was there today, please chime in with anything I may have missed, thanks!

*Copied from another forum*
He just confirmed the total ineptitude of the NC, ALPA , MEC , and ALPA national. Getting back to pre Bankruptcy days was the goal of this TA and the promise from both ALPA and APA back in 2018. Sounds like SK is more our friend than our own so called union. Just despicable not to mention embarrassing in my opinion.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:46 AM
Aspiring PSA Captain

Joined APC: Sep 2020

There's a classic story told around USAFA about the salt and pepper being removed from the dining hall tables. The cadets get up in arms about it and it becomes a whole entire thing. Long story short, the cadets take a hard line, eventually get their salt and pepper back and their leaders declare victory.

Scott went to school there. He's talking about giving you your salt and pepper back. That is not a gain.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:50 AM
Banned

Joined APC: May 2022

Originally Posted by Hedley View Post
Kirby hasn’t failed us with this TA. He’s doing exactly what he’s expected to do. He represents United Airlines and the shareholders, therefore his job is to manage cost and maximize profits. It is the MEC who has failed us by accepting this agreement and sending it out to vote. Kirby is doing his job, our union isn’t.

Having said that, I believe Kirby when he says that training is the constraint. He needs to attract and retain instructors and LCA’s to make his big expansion possible. He also knows that this can be quickly fixed and that 50.1% will vote yes if there are some fixes. If they bump the pay rates to cover inflation, no 0600 show for reserves, possibly make field standby or early shows optional with add pay if bid, maintain current widebody rules and landings class, pay LCA’s by the trip rather than the leg, and keep our current reassignment rules, this thing will pass. Basically if he increases the rates on our current book and makes changes to reserve rules he’ll get enough to pass, attract and retain instructors, and possibly fill captain vacancies. We want all of that plus retirement, sick leave accrual, vacation pay……….., but he knows that the majority will vote for less, and when polled the majority will provide ALPA with marching orders saying the same.
Every single ALPA rep that endorsed this piece of trash needs to resign. Hamilton and every other United MEC officer that supported this garbage. Next ALPA national needs a house cleaning as well. Joe DePete needs to resign as he has failed the pilots miserably. No other organization does a better job at taking $$$ out of its members pockets and brags about it than ALPA.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:57 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2013

Originally Posted by UofM View Post
Jesus. This can’t be real. You’re joking right?
We could change out the NC Chair and the MEC Chair, and get up and running again in 2 weeks. If many people get cut, then it could take longer.

My prediction, even if the MEC stays put, and the NC stays put, no deal til Thanksgiving.

ALPA has been negligent in conducting polling data. That will take 2 months to accomplish regardless of how many deck chairs get rearranged.

Shame on ALPA for failing to conduct on-going and active polling.
Old 07-13-2022, 08:02 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Merle Haggard View Post
There's a classic story told around USAFA about the salt and pepper being removed from the dining hall tables. The cadets get up in arms about it and it becomes a whole entire thing. Long story short, the cadets take a hard line, eventually get their salt and pepper back and their leaders declare victory.

Scott went to school there. He's talking about giving you your salt and pepper back. That is not a gain.
It's like when the CAL MEC went to war over "water." CAL stopped giving pilots water bottles to drink. Said just "one cup." FA brought us one cup. Cups of water being spilled all over the place. CAL MEC decided to put up tables of water in all the hub terminals for their pilots in between legs or on the way to the jet. The company relented and gave the water bottles back.

Same thing with pillows and blankets. CAL decided to issue "sleep sacks" instead. We got our pillows and blankets back for the augmented fleets.

Hard to declare victory on something you should have, or always had.

It's a great exercise for management however. They get to practice at "conditioning you." They love to see our Pavlovian like response.
Old 07-13-2022, 08:04 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by jaxsurf View Post
If this deal happened in only four weeks, it’s astounding how easily your CEO had his way with your MEC and NC. Talk about amateur hour

Those people are an utter joke.
it took us over 1500 days to get absolutely no where on this contract.

Then in just 30 days....eureka, we got a magical-whimsical deal? Imagine that. We go from zero to hero in just 30 days. Let's get back to basics and reaffirm our pilot group's negotiating priorities.