Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-28-2017, 07:56 PM   #1  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
trackpilot's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: CRJ FO no more
Posts: 458
Default Night flying

So during my interview they drilled and drilled and drilled into me about the night flying and how I'm going to deal with it etc etc etc...
But really... How bad is it? Honestly?
Every UPS jumpseater that I've had has been super friendly and has never said a negative thing towards me about UPS. I've obviously never done that type of flying, coming from the regionals, but I figure if so many other people can do it then I can do it too. I did work nights when I was on the ship in the Navy. But that was different.
Also if you have any more advice for a potential new hire it's much appreciated!
trackpilot is online now  
Old 02-28-2017, 08:28 PM   #2  
Banned
 
Joined APC: Nov 2016
Posts: 84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackpilot View Post
So during my interview they drilled and drilled and drilled into me about the night flying and how I'm going to deal with it etc etc etc...
But really... How bad is it? Honestly?
Every UPS jumpseater that I've had has been super friendly and has never said a negative thing towards me about UPS. I've obviously never done that type of flying, coming from the regionals, but I figure if so many other people can do it then I can do it too. I did work nights when I was on the ship in the Navy. But that was different.
Also if you have any more advice for a potential new hire it's much appreciated!
Bid day trips if you don't like flying at night. I'll take flying at night vs. flying during the day. Too lazy to navigate or fly SIDS or STARS. Like going direct to the airport and being number one on the visual.
Aryan is offline  
Old 03-01-2017, 03:45 AM   #3  
Gets Weekends Off
 
UPSFO4LIFE's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2006
Position: DC-8 756/767
Posts: 1,000
Default

Everyone handles night differently, but I can say most don't like it. Oh sure, you might be get some day trips eventually, but hope you live in base as they work typically 3 out 4 weeks in a pay period.
UPSFO4LIFE is offline  
Old 03-01-2017, 05:32 AM   #4  
Tri-tanic operator
 
CactusCrew's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Doggie
Posts: 2,381
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryan View Post
Bid day trips if you don't like flying at night. I'll take flying at night vs. flying during the day. Too lazy to navigate or fly SIDS or STARS. Like going direct to the airport and being number one on the visual.
Says someone that must not fly international.

A potential new hire will have little if any schedule choice initially.

BUT ... with seniority, there is great flexibility and much variety in the type of flying available at UPS.

Flying at night is just one of the challenges this job can present, do not let their questions deter you.
CactusCrew is offline  
Old 03-01-2017, 08:27 AM   #5  
Banned
 
Joined APC: Nov 2016
Posts: 84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusCrew View Post
Says someone that must not fly international.

A potential new hire will have little if any schedule choice initially.

BUT ... with seniority, there is great flexibility and much variety in the type of flying available at UPS.

Flying at night is just one of the challenges this job can present, do not let their questions deter you.
So tough flying CAE-SDF for under an hour and getting 4 hrs sleep in a private sleep room and then going back to CAE. Getting direct the airport upon initial contact with center, a discretionary descent and straight in visual to RWY11 with rollout to the end and turnoff into parking. In bed at the hotel while it's still dark. Yeah, it's a tough job.
Aryan is offline  
Old 03-01-2017, 09:52 AM   #6  
Challenge Accepted Five
 
BoilerUP's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,478
Default

I was never a "night person", but rather an "early bird" - I adapted just fine.

But it can definitely be hard at first.

I personally found it difficult to day sleep in many cases around the domestic system, only getting maybe 4 hours of sleep the first day, 4-6hr the two days after that, then generally the fourth day crashing out and getting 7-8hr from sheer fatigue. I also found falling asleep in the sleep rooms while sitting the sort hard to do (they are warmer than I prefer, and outside rooms have too damn much horn honking).

After a couple months online, I could sleep easier during they day and a bit better in sleep rooms.

I found making myself run every day kept me healthy, allowed me to sleep better at the end of a duty period, and the endorphins helped me "feel better" while working.

1. Sleep whenever you are tired
2. Eat as healthy as possible
3. Exercise!
4. Drink lots of water
5. Melatonin if needed

Just one guy's opinion...
BoilerUP is offline  
Old 03-01-2017, 05:02 PM   #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
767pilot's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2005
Position: 767 captain
Posts: 2,547
Default

For one thing, at night you don't have people yelling "guard" on 121.5 every 6 minutes. You can get used to anything. Personal advice would be to bid international.

Sleep until you're hungry, eat until you're tired.
767pilot is offline  
Old 03-02-2017, 08:14 AM   #8  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Airbum's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Posts: 595
Default

I for one find it hard after doing it for over two decades. I wonder what trips some folks talk about when saying they bid days only.

I've said it before. Jumpseat around with UPS for a week if you can. It will tell you what you want to know.
Airbum is online now  
Old 03-02-2017, 08:56 PM   #9  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
trackpilot's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: CRJ FO no more
Posts: 458
Default

Thanks for the advice everyone. The sleep rooms sound like they would be perfect to get you through the night, if you have enough time for a nap i guess.

So if you had to do it all over again would you still go with UPS or would you rather fly for someone like American?

Last edited by trackpilot; 03-02-2017 at 09:12 PM.
trackpilot is online now  
Old 03-03-2017, 03:26 AM   #10  
Gets Weekends Off
 
FTFF's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2014
Position: Retired from APC.
Posts: 507
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackpilot View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone. The sleep rooms sound like they would be perfect to get you through the night, if you have enough time for a nap i guess.

So if you had to do it all over again would you still go with UPS or would you rather fly for someone like American?
Bro, it's all about pros and cons and what's best for you. Brown, Purple, AA, Dal, and so on are all good places to find yourself. Way better than most other jobs in this industry, worldwide. Though they all are a little different, the overall pay, QOL, etc., isn't going to be a massive change going from one to the next. The notable exception is night flying with Brown and Purple. See next post.
FTFF is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any "Latest & Greatest" about Delta? Guard Dude Delta 199230 Today 07:41 AM
Marginal VFR at night BeardedFlyer Flight Schools and Training 8 04-17-2012 01:08 PM
Pilot Survives Crash, Frigid Mont. Night NE_Pilot Flight Schools and Training 2 03-28-2008 05:10 AM
80% of pilots admit flying while tired Gordon C Major 12 08-07-2006 08:30 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:49 AM.