Notices

Alaska Air Hiring

Old 02-15-2018, 10:03 AM
  #3011  
Most Days Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2017
Position: Gear Puller
Posts: 19
Default

Originally Posted by Outfield View Post
Sorry for my ignorance, whats a CJO.?
Conditional Job Offer
RVator6 is offline  
Old 02-16-2018, 02:27 PM
  #3012  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Feb 2016
Posts: 8
Default

If one were to attend the NW Aviation career forum, what should they expect? What would be the best way to prepare? What type of suit, etc.? Given the changes in hiring processes, Im just wondering what I can anticipate for this event, and how to make the best impression.
fssks17 is offline  
Old 02-16-2018, 03:23 PM
  #3013  
Works Every Weekend
 
Joined APC: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,210
Default

Originally Posted by fssks17 View Post
If one were to attend the NW Aviation career forum, what should they expect? What would be the best way to prepare? What type of suit, etc.? Given the changes in hiring processes, Im just wondering what I can anticipate for this event, and how to make the best impression.
Dark suit, that's about it. There's no specific formula for attire, if you look professional that's all you need.

Based on the questions I was asked previously, have a good answer for "Why do you want to work at Alaska?" They're trying to hire people who actually want to work here. If you give off the vibe that this is just another stop on the job fair circuit for you, you'll have sunk your own battleship. Know a little bit about the company.
pete2800 is offline  
Old 02-17-2018, 09:06 PM
  #3014  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Feb 2018
Posts: 32
Default

Originally Posted by pete2800 View Post
Dark suit, that's about it. There's no specific formula for attire, if you look professional that's all you need.

Based on the questions I was asked previously, have a good answer for "Why do you want to work at Alaska?" They're trying to hire people who actually want to work here. If you give off the vibe that this is just another stop on the job fair circuit for you, you'll have sunk your own battleship. Know a little bit about the company.
So I can used this Super Regional Airline as a building block to get my Delta Legacy Airline interview, they have a Seattle base too and fly wide-bodies out of here for green slip double time pay!
SoCalAirlifter is offline  
Old 02-22-2018, 04:04 PM
  #3015  
Gets Weekends Off
 
VanDriver208's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2009
Position: Full Nelson
Posts: 366
Default

Has anyone who spoke with the recruiters at the NGPA fair heard anything? Any feedback?
VanDriver208 is offline  
Old 02-24-2018, 07:22 PM
  #3016  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jun 2017
Posts: 101
Default

Originally Posted by VanDriver208 View Post
Has anyone who spoke with the recruiters at the NGPA fair heard anything? Any feedback?
Nothing here.
lukeh99 is offline  
Old 02-24-2018, 07:33 PM
  #3017  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,926
Default

Originally Posted by lukeh99 View Post
Nothing here.
Took 2 months last year to hear back.
Riverside is offline  
Old 02-25-2018, 10:35 AM
  #3018  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2009
Position: A320
Posts: 236
Default

For those interested in coming to Alaska. Do your homework and understand what you are getting yourselves into. I'm not going to bash the employee/labor relationship. As a current Alaska Bus Capt. I'm becoming concerned with the business path this company has taken. It over paid for the VX operation. It's immigration plan is not going well. Costs for the merger are way over budget and revenue is declining. There is a good chance we will post a loss in the first quarter. And although merger costs are at a peak in this quarter, challenges remain on the horizon. We are losing California passengers to competitors because of Alaska's downgrading the product. Revenue is down for ticket sales due rapidly expanding UAL capacity and fare wars with SW. Southwest is entering the hawaiian market soon which will again affect revenues and margins. Fuel costs are up 21% YOY. The list goes on.

At this time I would caution anyone looking at AAG. The viability of the plan in my mind is in serious question right now. And there are way less risky options out there right now.

Plus the schedules suck. ��

Good luck to those interested.
4andCounting is offline  
Old 02-25-2018, 11:50 AM
  #3019  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Apr 2017
Posts: 55
Default

Originally Posted by 4andCounting View Post
For those interested in coming to Alaska. Do your homework and understand what you are getting yourselves into. I'm not going to bash the employee/labor relationship. As a current Alaska Bus Capt. I'm becoming concerned with the business path this company has taken. It over paid for the VX operation. It's immigration plan is not going well. Costs for the merger are way over budget and revenue is declining. There is a good chance we will post a loss in the first quarter. And although merger costs are at a peak in this quarter, challenges remain on the horizon. We are losing California passengers to competitors because of Alaska's downgrading the product. Revenue is down for ticket sales due rapidly expanding UAL capacity and fare wars with SW. Southwest is entering the hawaiian market soon which will again affect revenues and margins. Fuel costs are up 21% YOY. The list goes on.

At this time I would caution anyone looking at AAG. The viability of the plan in my mind is in serious question right now. And there are way less risky options out there right now.

Plus the schedules suck. ��

Good luck to those interested.
Not writing this to directly discredit your post, instead to give a different perspective.

Over the last decade the airline industry in general has faced the worst of times followed by the best of times and we are now starting to even out. Fuel is returning to a sustainable price per barrel and casual/business travel is also returning to its normal, per-economic crash, levels (in general, not quoting any direct studies here).

Did the Air Group overpay for VX? Honestly, we will never know because we cannot see what the long term affect would have been if Jetblue had gained a West Coast foothold. On paper, yes it looks like AAG overpaid, in reality, only time (more than a few years) will tell.

If we are losing passengers to competitors then we are gaining new ones to replace them as our load capacity numbers are in line with previous years, quarters and months.

Look at any of the major airline mergers in the past decade, they are EXPENSIVE, tough on labor moral and often take longer than anticipated to complete. Before we judge the success or failure of the AS/VX merger we have to give it time to complete. How can you judge a cake if all you have done is mix the ingredients but have not let it bake?

The main point of the original post is 100% correct, do your research before going anywhere (do not let that research come 100% from APC). It is great to see a healthy pilot job market again, go to the flight operation that will make you the happiest.

For my own personal reasons that operation for me was Alaska Airlines and I am very happy to hang my hat here (though I hope that hat becomes optional in the near future). My reasons are not your reasons so again, do your due diligence, pick your companies, take the first class date you get and enjoy your time off.
TripleCrank is offline  
Old 02-25-2018, 12:41 PM
  #3020  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jan 2010
Position: A320 CA
Posts: 222
Default

Originally Posted by TripleCrank View Post
Not writing this to directly discredit your post, instead to give a different perspective.

Over the last decade the airline industry in general has faced the worst of times followed by the best of times and we are now starting to even out. Fuel is returning to a sustainable price per barrel and casual/business travel is also returning to its normal, per-economic crash, levels (in general, not quoting any direct studies here).

Did the Air Group overpay for VX? Honestly, we will never know because we cannot see what the long term affect would have been if Jetblue had gained a West Coast foothold. On paper, yes it looks like AAG overpaid, in reality, only time (more than a few years) will tell.

If we are losing passengers to competitors then we are gaining new ones to replace them as our load capacity numbers are in line with previous years, quarters and months.

Look at any of the major airline mergers in the past decade, they are EXPENSIVE, tough on labor moral and often take longer than anticipated to complete. Before we judge the success or failure of the AS/VX merger we have to give it time to complete. How can you judge a cake if all you have done is mix the ingredients but have not let it bake?

The main point of the original post is 100% correct, do your research before going anywhere (do not let that research come 100% from APC). It is great to see a healthy pilot job market again, go to the flight operation that will make you the happiest.

For my own personal reasons that operation for me was Alaska Airlines and I am very happy to hang my hat here (though I hope that hat becomes optional in the near future). My reasons are not your reasons so again, do your due diligence, pick your companies, take the first class date you get and enjoy your time off.
Very well put...👍
airb320 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
vagabond
Hangar Talk
1
05-03-2011 06:44 PM
joel payne
Foreign
4
04-23-2009 02:38 PM
vagabond
Major
31
04-15-2009 09:51 AM
vagabond
Aviation Law
10
09-20-2008 01:50 PM
vagabond
Major
19
06-15-2007 07:29 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Your Privacy Choices