Notices

Alaska Air Hiring

Old 07-09-2023, 01:50 AM
  #7521  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: May 2023
Posts: 558
Default

Originally Posted by C340 View Post
Exactly this. I wasn't going to use Alaska as a stepping stone - I want Alaska over the others due to PNW bases, but I am interviewing with United this week and if they offer the job, I imagine I will take it and that will be that.
This brings up an interesting point. It's doubtful that the almighty bean counters accounted for the cost of being on the hiring sidelines during the biggest pilot hiring rush in 30+ years.

Moving to single fleet at this particular juncture has been incredibly costly to our growth plans. Will it have long term consequences? Yet to be determined. But I would bet that "savings" from going to single fleet will be far less than promised, much like everything here.
ReluctantEskimo is offline  
Old 07-09-2023, 06:45 AM
  #7522  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 39,511
Default

Originally Posted by ReluctantEskimo View Post
This brings up an interesting point. It's doubtful that the almighty bean counters accounted for the cost of being on the hiring sidelines during the biggest pilot hiring rush in 30+ years.

Moving to single fleet at this particular juncture has been incredibly costly to our growth plans. Will it have long term consequences? Yet to be determined. But I would bet that "savings" from going to single fleet will be far less than promised, much like everything here.
Single fleet is one of those bite-size concepts which become wall street buzzwords; investors love it when managers throw those out. CEO will get a gold star from the street.
rickair7777 is offline  
Old 07-09-2023, 09:27 AM
  #7523  
Living The Dream
 
Joined APC: Jan 2023
Posts: 88
Default

The CJO thread is quiet, are new hire classes on pause again?
907ANC is offline  
Old 07-09-2023, 09:33 AM
  #7524  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Snuffaluffagus's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2015
Position: 737 FO
Posts: 355
Default

Originally Posted by 907ANC View Post
The CJO thread is quiet, are new hire classes on pause again?
According to a union made seniority list (so not an official one from AS), there were three new-hire classes in June with a total of 36 pilots spread across them. I wouldn't be surprised if NH classes stop to get airbus guys moved over to the 737 in the next several months.
Snuffaluffagus is offline  
Old 07-09-2023, 09:40 AM
  #7525  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2022
Posts: 559
Default

Originally Posted by C340 View Post
Exactly this. I wasn't going to use Alaska as a stepping stone - I want Alaska over the others due to PNW bases, but I am interviewing with United this week and if they offer the job, I imagine I will take it and that will be that.
There is one loyalty you need to stick with in this business: To your self, your family and the ones you love.

There is only doing what is right for you and your family. Congrats on the interview at United. I couldn’t get one from 2013 to 2018.

All airlines are the same. All corporations are the same. Whenever a manager at any corporation or business tells you that “we’re family” the alarm bells should be going off in your mind.
GoodJet is online now  
Old 07-09-2023, 02:43 PM
  #7526  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2020
Posts: 270
Default

Originally Posted by Snuffaluffagus View Post
According to a union made seniority list (so not an official one from AS), there were three new-hire classes in June with a total of 36 pilots spread across them. I wouldn't be surprised if NH classes stop to get airbus guys moved over to the 737 in the next several months.
Just curious, assuming hiring at Alaska stopped for as you say up to several months and you guys lose say 15-20 newish hires per month to other airlines plus then sprinkle in some retirements, medical issues, losing the remaining airbus fleet and other pilots who become inactive for various reasons...then isn't Alaska going into shrinkage during a time of unprecedented growth potential?

Seems a bit worrying from an outsiders perspective (who turned down a job there and has nothing more than Alaska stock) that management truly has some enormous problems about to hit them, unless there is a merger of some kind which I keep hearing you guys mention.
PorkyMcFuzz is offline  
Old 07-09-2023, 03:15 PM
  #7527  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: May 2023
Posts: 558
Default

Originally Posted by PorkyMcFuzz View Post
Just curious, assuming hiring at Alaska stopped for as you say up to several months and you guys lose say 15-20 newish hires per month to other airlines plus then sprinkle in some retirements, medical issues, losing the remaining airbus fleet and other pilots who become inactive for various reasons...then isn't Alaska going into shrinkage during a time of unprecedented growth potential?

Seems a bit worrying from an outsiders perspective (who turned down a job there and has nothing more than Alaska stock) that management truly has some enormous problems about to hit them, unless there is a merger of some kind which I keep hearing you guys mention.




"We grow or we die." -Brad Tilden, 2017

Seems a bit worrying to us, too.
ReluctantEskimo is offline  
Old 07-09-2023, 03:17 PM
  #7528  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2020
Posts: 1,806
Default

Originally Posted by PorkyMcFuzz View Post
Just curious, assuming hiring at Alaska stopped for as you say up to several months and you guys lose say 15-20 newish hires per month to other airlines plus then sprinkle in some retirements, medical issues, losing the remaining airbus fleet and other pilots who become inactive for various reasons...then isn't Alaska going into shrinkage during a time of unprecedented growth potential?

Seems a bit worrying from an outsiders perspective (who turned down a job there and has nothing more than Alaska stock) that management truly has some enormous problems about to hit them, unless there is a merger of some kind which I keep hearing you guys mention.
As the MAX comes online, doesn't the seat count "rsm" actually go up. Yes less overall employees but in corporate world, more RSM's equals growth.
nene is offline  
Old 07-09-2023, 03:20 PM
  #7529  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: May 2023
Posts: 558
Default

Originally Posted by nene View Post
As the MAX comes online, doesn't the seat count "rsm" actually go up. Yes less overall employees but in corporate world, more RSM's equals growth.
RSMs don't fix frequency issues. You can't build a network with longer airplanes alone.
ReluctantEskimo is offline  
Old 07-09-2023, 08:53 PM
  #7530  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2019
Posts: 791
Default

Originally Posted by nene View Post
As the MAX comes online, doesn't the seat count "rsm" actually go up. Yes less overall employees but in corporate world, more RSM's equals growth.
The Max 9 is smaller than the 321NEO. The rest of the airbus fleet has been parked for quite awhile now. They were a couple seats smaller than the old 737-800’s that we fly
9mikemike is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
vagabond
Hangar Talk
1
05-03-2011 05:44 PM
joel payne
Foreign
4
04-23-2009 01:38 PM
vagabond
Major
31
04-15-2009 08:51 AM
vagabond
Aviation Law
10
09-20-2008 12:50 PM
vagabond
Major
19
06-15-2007 06:29 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Your Privacy Choices