Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-10-2007, 10:33 AM   #1  
Organizational Learning 
Thread Starter
 
TonyC's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner
Posts: 4,579
Default FDX MAY Disputed Pairings

You should have received by now an e-mail from the Scheduling Improvement Group - May 2007 is a 4-week month


The Bid is Open for May. There is no possibility that someone can, at this point, pick up a Disputed Pairing out of Open Time, or request one specifically on a Secondary Line. What else can we do at this point to prevent a pilot from "accidentally" picking up one of these pairings out of Open Time? We've debated what to do after a Pairing has been picked up -- but what can we do to prevent it before it even happens?


Is it even important? Well, the SIG seems to think so.
"Ladies and Gentlemen the ALPA SIG believes the disputed pairing process is our best means of fixing rigorous pairing designs, it requires the crew force to keep themselves informed and up to date!"
FlybyKnite made this observation:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlybyKnite View Post

Yes, the SIG and the pairing reviewers (real unsung heroes) do a great job of identifying the onerous segments and publishing the results. I erred in making my publishing comment-- the actual pairings aren't in the notes email but are in the bid pack. I meant that I just don't think a lot of guys are industrious enough to go through the bid pack to eyeball and digest the pairings before open time comes out (especially guys using Fastbid- I'm guilty most months).

The A300 PSIT added this to the May SIG Letter:
APR 2007 SIG DPs.JPG

Does this help? Do you think it would be helpful if every PSIT did the same thing? I imagine the PSIT would appreciate feedback, either way.




And, as an aside, who is this Jim Skinner guy making up his own version of Scooby Snacks?!?!
"For the crews receiving mini snacks in SFS. Jim Skinner has found some local products that will meet the crew forces needs as they transit SFS. We had a few committee members taste test the SFS Scooby Snacks and they give 'a thumbs up'."
Where did he find these "products"? Do we want to know?



.
TonyC is offline  
Old 04-10-2007, 11:10 AM   #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
niteFly84's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: B777 Captain
Posts: 123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyC View Post
You should have received by now an e-mail from the Scheduling Improvement Group - May 2007 is a 4-week month


The Bid is Open for May. There is no possibility that someone can, at this point, pick up a Disputed Pairing out of Open Time, or request one specifically on a Secondary Line. What else can we do at this point to prevent a pilot from "accidentally" picking up one of these pairings out of Open Time? We've debated what to do after a Pairing has been picked up -- but what can we do to prevent it before it even happens?


Is it even important? Well, the SIG seems to think so.
"Ladies and Gentlemen the ALPA SIG believes the disputed pairing process is our best means of fixing rigorous pairing designs, it requires the crew force to keep themselves informed and up to date!"
FlybyKnite made this observation:

The A300 PSIT added this to the May SIG Letter:
Attachment 601

Does this help? Do you think it would be helpful if every PSIT did the same thing? I imagine the PSIT would appreciate feedback, either way.




And, as an aside, who is this Jim Skinner guy making up his own version of Scooby Snacks?!?!
"For the crews receiving mini snacks in SFS. Jim Skinner has found some local products that will meet the crew forces needs as they transit SFS. We had a few committee members taste test the SFS Scooby Snacks and they give 'a thumbs up'."
Where did he find these "products"? Do we want to know?



.
Not sure if i am misunderstanding you here, but disputed pairings are NEVER built into the published lines so Fastbid can not get you into trouble when your are bidding. You must request these trips specifically on a VTO line or pick them up out of open time..
niteFly84 is offline  
Old 04-10-2007, 11:29 AM   #3  
Organizational Learning 
Thread Starter
 
TonyC's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner
Posts: 4,579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteFly84 View Post

Not sure if i am misunderstanding you here, but disputed pairings are NEVER built into the published lines so Fastbid can not get you into trouble when your are bidding. You must request these trips specifically on a VTO line or pick them up out of open time..

I believe the point that FlybyKnite was making is that guys that use FastBid never have to look at the bidpack. Telling you that A300 MEM Pairing #430 is disputed is less helpful than you actually looking at A300 MEM Pairing #430 and seeing that it consists of 2 legs MEM-LBB-SAN (6:42 Duty) followed by a 10:23 layover and one leg SAN-MEM back, for a total of 7:57 scheduled block in 22:05 TAFB. (Of course, just seeing a 7:57 CH trip with 22:05 TAFB should be a big clue, but . . . ) In fact, even the written description above is less useful than this picture:

What's the saying, a picture is worth a thousand words?

It could be argued that even with FastBid, a guy can look up an individual pairing. While true, it would involve reviewing the Disputed Pairings while he has FastBid running to do his monthly bid, or opening FastBid at some other time when he decides to review the Disputed Pairings. In the latter scenario, it's a tossup as to whether it would be easier to open FastBid, or open the Bidpack PDF from the pilot.fedex.com website, or (for the next few months) pick up the paper bidpack. Either way, it takes the commitment of the pilot to go an extra step.


So it comes down to the question of how do we get pilots to go to that extra effort, and/or how do we reduce the extra effort required?



.
TonyC is offline  
Old 04-10-2007, 12:40 PM   #4  
...Whatever It Is!
 
MD11Fr8Dog's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,677
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyC View Post

And, as an aside, who is this Jim Skinner guy making up his own version of Scooby Snacks?!?!
"For the crews receiving mini snacks in SFS. Jim Skinner has found some local products that will meet the crew forces needs as they transit SFS. We had a few committee members taste test the SFS Scooby Snacks and they give 'a thumbs up'."
Where did he find these "products"? Do we want to know? .

Baluts, lumpia and San Miguels Lights!
MD11Fr8Dog is offline  
Old 04-10-2007, 02:31 PM   #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
FlybyKnite's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: B777
Posts: 564
Default

The ever-insightful Tony C is right. . .again. . .as always. That's exactly what I meant to say.

I was floored to open the email and saw pictures of the pairings. I said to myself- Self, there are absolutely no excuses now that you've seen what the actual pairing looks like and you should hopefully be able to recognize it in the open time lineup when you see it again and go 'deja vu' that's a DP.

Publishing all the DPs like this will certainly make the email longer, but it removes one more excuse and makes the lazy pilot's job easier. I find it much easier to view them consolidated in an email than have to search through the bidpack (paper or electronic). Because you are right, with Fastbid I don't have to look at the bidpack, except for training months.

I believe the problem is two-fold.
1) Inadequate exposure to the info/pairings: because not everyone gave the MEC a valid email address; they don't check the ALPA website; they don't get the private newsletters. And posting them on a bulletin board in the back room won’t help much either. There could be a link from pilot.fedex.com to a special ALPA page or let's just paste them to the AOC doors, but as before I don't think the company will want to help.

2) Real time identification of DPs once open time is released and guys start making VTO and CIC requests and trading. There are only two solutions here: 1) software, be that a tag on the company website (right, see above), or use a PC program like I have; or 2) the old reliable paper with DP numbers on it.

Well, maybe there is a third-- some folks just don't care.

We cared and stayed informed for negotiations, why can't we care and stay informed now? Perhaps we need an Email crusade to make sure everyone has a Good address on file with the MEC.

Last edited by FlybyKnite; 04-10-2007 at 02:38 PM.
FlybyKnite is offline  
Old 04-10-2007, 02:54 PM   #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
RedeyeAV8r's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyC View Post
Where did he find these "products"? Do we want to know?
.

Tony
Rumor has it that a couple our MGT Pilots were on a long SFS layover and took the1-day tour of Corregidor.(SP?) They found an old Cache of McCarther's personal C-Rats. Scooby snacks? How many ways do you like your Spam?.....
RedeyeAV8r is offline  
Old 04-10-2007, 03:57 PM   #7  
Organizational Learning 
Thread Starter
 
TonyC's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner
Posts: 4,579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeyeAV8r View Post

Rumor has it that a couple our MGT Pilots were on a long SFS layover and took the1-day tour of Corregidor.(SP?) They found an old Cache of McCarther's personal C-Rats. Scooby snacks? How many ways do you like your Spam?.....

You got Corregidor, and butchered the General's name. Douglas MacArthur.

How do I get my hands on one of those, short of diverting a DC-10 to SFS? I lost my P-38 can opener a few years back, and I need a replacement!


Fried Spam, please.



Maybe I can talk the ACP into bringing a few back to Mecca when he returns.





.
TonyC is offline  
Old 04-10-2007, 04:09 PM   #8  
Gets Weekends Off
 
RedeyeAV8r's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyC View Post
You got Corregidor, and butchered the General's name. Douglas MacArthur.

How do I get my hands on one of those, short of diverting a DC-10 to SFS? I lost my P-38 can opener a few years back, and I need a replacement!
Fried Spam, please.
Maybe I can talk the ACP into bringing a few back to Mecca when he returns.
.

I never claimed I could spell and besides Mac the Corn Cobb was an Army Doggie not a Marine like Ol' Chesty Puller.

BTW us Marines call those things "John Waynes" . Use to wear one with my Dog Tags. I might have an extra one somewhere.
RedeyeAV8r is offline  
Old 04-10-2007, 04:13 PM   #9  
Gets Weekends Off
 
SC-7's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: MD
Posts: 230
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeyeAV8r View Post
Use to wear one with my Dog Tags. I might have an extra one somewhere.
I still do and I have a spare or two somewhere. Used to be a surplus store here that had a bowl of them by the cash register.

I think I can spare the 35 cents to mail a few, if you need one PM me with your address.
SC-7 is offline  
Old 04-10-2007, 04:22 PM   #10  
Organizational Learning 
Thread Starter
 
TonyC's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner
Posts: 4,579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC-7 View Post

I still do and I have a spare or two somewhere. Used to be a surplus store here that had a bowl of them by the cash register.

I think I can spare the 35 cents to mail a few, if you need one PM me with your address.

Thanks. No need to go to that much trouble. I might stop by the local Army/Navy surplus since you've sparked my curiosity, but I don't really "need" one.

MacArthur-era C-rats should also have cigarettes, right? I'll give mine to somebody higher on the seniority list.




.
TonyC is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What a 58 YO UPS pilot thinks about the TA Zoro Cargo 32 07-26-2012 06:32 AM
Apr disputed pairings boxhauler Cargo 100 04-16-2007 06:58 AM
FDX Disputed Pairings, Part 2 Dog Breath Cargo 23 03-18-2007 08:32 AM
Didn't take long for all the disputed pairings to disappear MD11Fr8Dog Cargo 272 03-06-2007 12:51 PM
Fdx disputed Pairings trashhauler Cargo 10 02-15-2007 07:09 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:56 PM.