Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-08-2014, 09:30 PM   #11  
Gets Weekends Off
 
whalesurfer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Blender View Post
Is this your only airline? Just curious because if anyone disparages someone from coming to UPS instead of a legacy, that's the only reply some people say.
A very valid point SB. I respect your and others dissenters' opinion, I truly do, but isn't it true that some people will disparage our company no matter what others believe? It goes both ways and you know it.

I'm not a kool-aid drinker. You and I and many, many others here gave up tons of money, sick time, vloa's, rdg's, and other b.s. to prevent the furlough. ..and yet they furloughed anyways and to top it off hired scabs to replace the furloughees. ...and yes, any mgmt pilot hired during the furlough fits the definition. Think about it, line pilots getting laid off while manglers getting hired. We were not on strike BUT our brothers and sisters were being laid off. In other words they were bringing in replacement pilots and therefore the scab label for those hired during that time frame applies!

..and yet, I think it's a good place to be at. Yes, it sounds very contradictory. I'm not saying that because I believe it's a paradise on earth but because most other places are "as good as it gets." Will things be as great at the major pax carriers in 5-10 years as they're now? Maybe or maybe not. I bet on not, and it's just a bet. As an additional bonus I truly enjoy the camaraderie here and the really cool people I get to fly with. We're a unique group and the HR dept has done a great job when it comes to hiring, that's my honest opinion.

So in conclusion yes, I do think it's a good place to be at but it could be absolutely great. The only way to change it is from within. We might succeed in improving this place or we might not.

When I was looking for an interview gouge and help with getting hired here there were numerous pilots on this board who offered me their insight. They gave me all the info they had while keeping things real. They let me decide without fear mongering and scare tactics. Simply put they trusted my judgment.

I'm grateful to them and today am trying to pay it forward. I trust the potential new-hires' judgment, they've all been around the block and can decide for themselves. I won't sugarcoat it nor will I pretend this is a pilot's heaven. I firmly believe they're smart enough to decide for themselves.

Last edited by whalesurfer; 12-08-2014 at 09:43 PM.
whalesurfer is offline  
Old 12-08-2014, 10:03 PM   #12  
Where's my Mai Tai?
 
Swedish Blender's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: fins to the left, fins to the right
Posts: 1,549
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalesurfer View Post
So in conclusion yes, I do think it's a good place to be at but it could be absolutely great. The only way to change it is from within. We might succeed in improving this place or we might not.
It's amazing how everything at UPS is a fight. Look at the hotel in Warsaw. The contract was renewed and got worse. Before, we got free breakfast and had to pay for internet. I'm sure everyone thought with the addition of iPads, the internet would be included in the next contract. Not only did we not get free internet, they took away the free breakfast. Is it a big deal? No. It just shows how what the company thinks of us. This is just one example of many we could all give.

Hopefully whenever these contract talks end (hopefully in the next 5 years) our schedules, pay and retirement will improve. Right now, with the meteoric rise in seniority at the legacies, it would be hard for me to say come to UPS vs DAL/AA/UAL. The job security is not necessarily there at UPS like before now that the furlough has happened.

It comes down to money vs QOL which is subject to change based on contracts.

Right now here are the percentages of FOs that are bypassing captain upgrade which is the wall you will hit for QOL schedules as a FO.

SDFZ -37%
SDF MD - 33%
SDF 75 - 28%
A300 - 41%
MIA - 37%
ONT - 37%
ANC 74 - 8%
ANC MD <1%

All this being said, I do like my job. My seniority, however, is right on the edge of holding decent lines and totally sucking.
Swedish Blender is offline  
Old 12-09-2014, 02:38 AM   #13  
Gets Weekends Off
 
freightretriever's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2005
Position: looking for a bridge to sleep under in ANC
Posts: 179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalesurfer View Post
- Paycheck is always on time or early.
Well I'm gonna call BS on this one. Several people around here can attest to the fact that our paychecks didn't come at all for quite a while. So if you are coming here cause "cargo is stable" and UPS will "never furlough" you may want to rethink that.
freightretriever is offline  
Old 12-09-2014, 02:00 PM   #14  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Busflyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2006
Posts: 103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightretriever View Post
Well I'm gonna call BS on this one. Several people around here can attest to the fact that our paychecks didn't come at all for quite a while. So if you are coming here cause "cargo is stable" and UPS will "never furlough" you may want to rethink that.
I for one have never had my check show up late in my 23 years here, never heard of anyone else with that problem either. Compared to the passenger carriers, cargo is stable. We furloughed what, 3% of our pilots, what were the percentages at the legacy carriers? I feel sure it was higher.

Is UPS perfect? No. But what place is? The job is what you make of it. We have a good pilot group and I enjoy flying with them.
Busflyer is offline  
Old 12-09-2014, 05:08 PM   #15  
Gets Weekends Off
 
whalesurfer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightretriever View Post
Well I'm gonna call BS on this one. Several people around here can attest to the fact that our paychecks didn't come at all for quite a while. So if you are coming here cause "cargo is stable" and UPS will "never furlough" you may want to rethink that.
You picked just one quote here below to prove your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalesurfer
- Paycheck is always on time or early.
..but I also said this where I actually agree with your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalesurfer View Post
...

I'm not a kool-aid drinker. You and I and many, many others here gave up tons of money, sick time, vloa's, rdg's, and other b.s. to prevent the furlough. ..and yet they furloughed anyways and to top it off hired scabs to replace the furloughees. ...and yes, any mgmt pilot hired during the furlough fits the definition. Think about it, line pilots getting laid off while manglers getting hired. We were not on strike BUT our brothers and sisters were being laid off. In other words they were bringing in replacement pilots and therefore the scab label for those hired during that time frame applies!...
whalesurfer is offline  
Old 12-11-2014, 03:14 PM   #16  
Gets Weekends Off
 
UPSpilott's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2014
Posts: 188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetrat View Post
I'm assuming the junior base would be ANC?
Dream on. You'll be on the airbus flying night sort until the end of time or turning 65, whichever happens first. And cut your life short by 10 years.

Last edited by UPSpilott; 12-11-2014 at 03:47 PM.
UPSpilott is offline  
Old 12-11-2014, 03:16 PM   #17  
Gets Weekends Off
 
UPSpilott's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2014
Posts: 188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon33 View Post
due to retirements and attrition.
Never to growth. They simply frown on that nonsense.

Welcome to the most stagnant job of your career.
UPSpilott is offline  
Old 12-11-2014, 03:20 PM   #18  
Gets Weekends Off
 
UPSpilott's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2014
Posts: 188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalesurfer View Post

- Paycheck is always on time or early.
Also the case at every other airline I've worked for..Not sure why UPS guys love to point this out?

Try to ask the 109 if their paychecks came every 2nd monday since their hire date.....all while the company raking in a cool billion every 90 days.

Last edited by UPSpilott; 12-11-2014 at 03:49 PM.
UPSpilott is offline  
Old 12-11-2014, 03:47 PM   #19  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2014
Posts: 293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSpilott View Post
Also the case at every other airline I've worked for..Not sure why UPS guys love to point this out?
Because their check is delivered by FedEx.
Viper446 is offline  
Old 12-11-2014, 06:59 PM   #20  
Gets Weekends Off
 
UPSpilott's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2014
Posts: 188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Blender View Post
It's amazing how everything at UPS is a fight. Look at the hotel in Warsaw. The contract was renewed and got worse. Before, we got free breakfast and had to pay for internet. I'm sure everyone thought with the addition of iPads, the internet would be included in the next contract. Not only did we not get free internet, they took away the free breakfast. Is it a big deal? No. It just shows how what the company thinks of us. This is just one example of many we could all give.
The alarming thing? While they continue to F us....our IPA guys continue to block early!! What year of negotiation are we in?????? H E L L O !!!!!! Lots of talks about unity and fight against the evil bastards but I see very little of it on the line.

And I haven't even opened up the flying fatigued can of worms.
UPSpilott is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why a Pilot Should Want to Work at UPS flyphisher Cargo 176 06-17-2018 08:04 AM
Letter from IPA President to all UPS FQS Blue Collar Man Cargo 221 03-29-2011 09:31 AM
Updated Jumpseat Info FedEx, UPS, DHL Gman Cargo 27 01-10-2011 06:55 PM
Political group does a 180 on FDX for UPS 767pilot Cargo 113 10-15-2009 06:19 PM
UPS - Hearts are breaking all over the Philippines TipsyMcStagger Cargo 31 05-25-2008 04:37 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:02 PM.