Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-18-2019, 01:30 PM   #21  
Gets Weekends Off
 
kettlechips's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2019
Posts: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacampbe View Post
Right now I have 0 flight time.
Due to the significant movement at the legacies in the next 20 or so years, I believe that getting into a legacy ASAP is extremely important. Of course I cannot guarantee that you'll get picked up by a legacy or another 9/11-level of event will happen- but going through the CFI/regional route will have legacies start looking at your application in about half the time (my estimates are 8ish years for jetblue gateway, and about 4 years for CFI/regional route to get 1000 TPIC). You'll make more money going the Jetblue route, but personally I think that 4 years of seniority is worth significantly more, as in the projected hiring environment that could move you up 15-20% in seniority at some airlines.

I still suggest that you find a local flight school, put 110% into it, and aim to get your 1500 in like 2 years. It's definitely possible.
kettlechips is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 02:30 PM   #22  
In a land of unicorns
 
dera's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: 175 FO
Posts: 3,870
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Guaranteed job at a regional? Whatever that's worth, a job at a good LCC would be worth twice as much.
Then again - delaying your 1000TPIC by at least 5-6 years costs much, much more...
dera is offline  
Old 09-17-2019, 06:33 PM   #23  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Sep 2019
Posts: 2
Default Update?

Did you go with Gateway Select? How did things turn out?
FlyIowa is offline  
Old 08-03-2020, 08:07 PM   #24  
Line Holder
 
Air Guitar's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2019
Posts: 93
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlechips View Post
Due to the significant movement at the legacies in the next 20 or so years, I believe that getting into a legacy ASAP is extremely important. Of course I cannot guarantee that you'll get picked up by a legacy or another 9/11-level of event will happen- but going through the CFI/regional route will have legacies start looking at your application in about half the time (my estimates are 8ish years for jetblue gateway, and about 4 years for CFI/regional route to get 1000 TPIC). You'll make more money going the Jetblue route, but personally I think that 4 years of seniority is worth significantly more, as in the projected hiring environment that could move you up 15-20% in seniority at some airlines.

I still suggest that you find a local flight school, put 110% into it, and aim to get your 1500 in like 2 years. It's definitely possible.
With the new AA partnership, does this mean that JetBlue's gateway select students would end up paying $120k and end up at a regional instead of staight to JB's +100 seater jets?
Air Guitar is offline  
Old 08-04-2020, 12:54 AM   #25  
Super Moderator
 
usmc-sgt's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,560
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Guitar View Post
With the new AA partnership, does this mean that JetBlue's gateway select students would end up paying $120k and end up at a regional instead of staight to JB's +100 seater jets?
We all wish, but no.
usmc-sgt is offline  
Old 08-04-2020, 09:08 AM   #26  
Gets Weekends Off
 
LoneStar32's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2019
Posts: 684
Default

Hopefully these programs that bypass hard working pilots who have been working in the industry for years end for good. No point in having them, it's too long of a process to endure through the regularly scheduled downturns. Hopefully Jetblue lost a lot of money in this folly.
LoneStar32 is offline  
Old 08-04-2020, 06:31 PM   #27  
Line Holder
 
Air Guitar's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2019
Posts: 93
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStar32 View Post
Hopefully these programs that bypass hard working pilots who have been working in the industry for years end for good. No point in having them, it's too long of a process to endure through the regularly scheduled downturns. Hopefully Jetblue lost a lot of money in this folly.
I don't believe any students from the first wave that are now CFI's from the CAE training center have gone on to FO quite yet. Is that correct? Seems like they would be staying CFI's a while longer if that is the case.

Plus, unless they put JetBlue on a pedestal, it doesn't seem to really jumpstart their career outside of B6. One big factor is they miss out on essential TPIC time and experience from regional flying.
​​​​​

Last edited by Air Guitar; 08-04-2020 at 06:41 PM.
Air Guitar is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply

Tags
atp, gateway-select, jetblue, jetblue university
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Selected into JetBlue's ab initio program ZipZap JetBlue 190 09-17-2019 07:44 PM
Training issues at SKW Aviator2019 SkyWest 266 05-14-2019 12:27 AM
Managing Training Risk/Thriving in ZW NH trng BFMthisA10 Air Wisconsin 22 01-31-2019 06:15 AM
Logging sim time - in general peengleeson Flight Schools and Training 31 10-22-2018 07:39 AM
What Training/Checking Standard Should Exist BTDTB4 Major 29 02-14-2012 12:27 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:01 PM.