Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2019, 03:27 PM   #11  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 23,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacampbe View Post
My end goal is to actually work for one of the US majors. But my question after that would be where to go with 0 hours to be able to get to a major airline, hopefully avoiding the underpaying regional airlines.
All majors are not created equal. You have an opportunity to take advantage of vast numbers of retirements at three of the best six airlines in the world.

Normally JB would be a fine choice. Right now it's a consolation prize. Not sure that I'd pay $100K to miss the opportunities at the legacies right now. Regionals pay much better than they used to. But your choice either way.
rickair7777 is offline  
Old 02-13-2019, 06:34 PM   #12  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Feb 2019
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc-sgt View Post
Good to see their selection criteria is still top notch. You applied for and were selected to move forward in a program you know virtually nothing about, in an industry you know even less about?
Read my mind...
eryka is offline  
Old 02-13-2019, 10:33 PM   #13  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Feb 2019
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacampbe View Post
My end goal is to actually work for one of the US majors. But my question after that would be where to go with 0 hours to be able to get to a major airline, hopefully avoiding the underpaying regional airlines.
I'm not sure I follow- what do you mean where to go with 0 hours? Once you have 1000 hours in the left seat at a 121, then airlines might look at your resume. Before that, you'll need to be exceptional.
kettlechips is offline  
Old 02-15-2019, 07:15 AM   #14  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Aug 2018
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacampbe View Post
Hello everyone I was recently selected to move forward with the JetBlue gateway select program. Does anyone know any pros & cons of this program? Also, does anyone know anything about the assessment you have to take 3 weeks within receiving the offer to move forward? Thanks for any replies. I know the program is 110K, which from my position with 0 hours isn't far from any other flight schools (like ATP) where I can go from 0 hours to flying commercial airliners.
I applied a few years ago and took the assessment but did not move forward. But as someone else has said, this program takes way too long and way too expensive. If you have the means to get 110K for this, why not go to a "mom and pop" operation or some other professional pilot program (ATP is not the only one out there) and with a little hustle you can get through your CFI in about 12 months and get your minimums in another 15 months??? That Jetblue program is about 4 years, with all the movement going on that is just not the best route.
WaveFinder is offline  
Old 02-16-2019, 12:35 PM   #15  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Jan 2019
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveFinder View Post
I applied a few years ago and took the assessment but did not move forward. But as someone else has said, this program takes way too long and way too expensive. If you have the means to get 110K for this, why not go to a "mom and pop" operation or some other professional pilot program (ATP is not the only one out there) and with a little hustle you can get through your CFI in about 12 months and get your minimums in another 15 months??? That Jetblue program is about 4 years, with all the movement going on that is just not the best route.
1500 hours in just over 2 years??? Is this common? It seems to me that working to support life while fitting in as many CFI hours as possible would put you to almost 24 months after I calculated it for my living situation. Rent, car, phone, utilities... and paying back the loan for the PPL/ME/Com/CFI/CFII all while working a job that pays 30ishK a year.
MyPropeller is offline  
Old 02-16-2019, 08:13 PM   #16  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Aug 2013
Posts: 361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc-sgt View Post
Good to see their selection criteria is still top notch. You applied for and were selected to move forward in a program you know virtually nothing about, in an industry you know even less about?
Well those who are uneducated on aviation/121 life are the only ones who would pay $100k+ for such a program, so I guess JB have it all figured out!

To the OP, if you want something similar check out Republic Airlines Lift Academy, same deal but for less than half the price.
deftone is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 12:21 AM   #17  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 23,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deftone View Post
Well those who are uneducated on aviation/121 life are the only ones who would pay $100k+ for such a program, so I guess JB have it all figured out!

To the OP, if you want something similar check out Republic Airlines Lift Academy, same deal but for less than half the price.
Guaranteed job at a regional? Whatever that's worth, a job at a good LCC would be worth twice as much.
rickair7777 is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 10:27 AM   #18  
On Reserve
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Feb 2019
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlechips View Post
I'm not sure I follow- what do you mean where to go with 0 hours? Once you have 1000 hours in the left seat at a 121, then airlines might look at your resume. Before that, you'll need to be exceptional.
Right now I have 0 flight time.
wacampbe is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 10:35 AM   #19  
On Reserve
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Feb 2019
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc-sgt View Post
Good to see their selection criteria is still top notch. You applied for and were selected to move forward in a program you know virtually nothing about, in an industry you know even less about?
Would you like to come to NC and teach me how to fly then? Since you seem to be the guru of the airline industry and I just know oh so nothing about the big scary airplane industry because I applied there...sure lol. It's not my only option, the point of the thread is for me to figure out which route is the best...FYI
wacampbe is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 10:36 AM   #20  
On Reserve
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Feb 2019
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveFinder View Post
I applied a few years ago and took the assessment but did not move forward. But as someone else has said, this program takes way too long and way too expensive. If you have the means to get 110K for this, why not go to a "mom and pop" operation or some other professional pilot program (ATP is not the only one out there) and with a little hustle you can get through your CFI in about 12 months and get your minimums in another 15 months??? That Jetblue program is about 4 years, with all the movement going on that is just not the best route.
Thank you!! I've been checking out some other local flights schools as another choice, why be in debt if I don't need to be?
wacampbe is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply

Tags
atp, gateway-select, jetblue, jetblue university
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Selected into JetBlue's ab initio program ZipZap JetBlue 190 09-17-2019 08:44 PM
Training issues at SKW Aviator2019 SkyWest 266 05-14-2019 01:27 AM
Managing Training Risk/Thriving in ZW NH trng BFMthisA10 Air Wisconsin 22 01-31-2019 07:15 AM
Logging sim time - in general peengleeson Flight Schools and Training 31 10-22-2018 08:39 AM
What Training/Checking Standard Should Exist BTDTB4 Major 29 02-14-2012 01:27 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:53 AM.