Notices
Hangar Talk For non-aviation-related discussion and aviation threads that don't belong elsewhere

Tool of the day

Old 09-10-2018, 06:47 PM
  #10611  
Gets Weekends Off
 
iHateAMR's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2018
Position: FO
Posts: 180
Default

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
There's some truth here. In the other services, almost everybody routinely goes over the horizon as a team for expeditionary operations as a matter of course. AF launches the warfighters, but most of the rest stay behind in their offices in CONUS and go home at 5:00 pm.
You stay past 3:45?
iHateAMR is offline  
Old 09-10-2018, 07:20 PM
  #10612  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 32,754
Default

Originally Posted by iHateAMR View Post
You stay past 3:45?
I'm in the Navy...
rickair7777 is offline  
Old 09-12-2018, 07:45 AM
  #10613  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jan 2011
Position: Wind checker
Posts: 560
Default

Originally Posted by iHateAMR View Post
You stay past 3:45?
I was thinking a 2:30 BX shelf check
hvydvr is offline  
Old 09-13-2018, 01:53 PM
  #10614  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Hrkdrivr's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: Fairly local
Posts: 1,240
Default

Originally Posted by CBreezy View Post
If only pilots accounted for the vast majority of General Officers even though, unlike their peers in maintenance, security, and others they rarely lead large groups until later in their career, they could change the system... Oh wait. Pilots run the Air Force.
Not for much longer...cyber and space are taking over slowly but surely.
Hrkdrivr is offline  
Old 09-15-2018, 12:19 PM
  #10615  
Gets Weekends Off
 
HuskerAv8tor's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2013
Position: 737
Posts: 141
Default

The idiot flying on the outskirts of a hurricane jamming up the radio constantly asking for altitudes with good rides.
HuskerAv8tor is offline  
Old 09-15-2018, 04:00 PM
  #10616  
Gets Weekends Off
 
captjns's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B-737NG preferably in first class with a glass of champagne and caviar
Posts: 5,528
Default

Originally Posted by HuskerAv8tor View Post
The idiot flying on the outskirts of a hurricane jamming up the radio constantly asking for altitudes with good rides.
But did he ask for a wind check?
captjns is offline  
Old 09-15-2018, 04:09 PM
  #10617  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2016
Posts: 446
Default

Originally Posted by Hrkdrivr View Post
Not for much longer...cyber and space are taking over slowly but surely.
No..cyber and space are growing domains yes - but the primary mission of the Air Force remains putting airplanes in the air. So yes, Pilots run the Air Force, as they should. While they donít lead large groups of enlisted people early in their careers, the combat leadership of leading a formation in hostile territory, managing a diverse crew in podunk locations, and planning / executing operational missions more than makes up for the lack of leading a handful of airmen in garrison.
C130driver is offline  
Old 09-16-2018, 05:51 AM
  #10618  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2013
Posts: 6,947
Default

Originally Posted by C130driver View Post
No..cyber and space are growing domains yes - but the primary mission of the Air Force remains putting airplanes in the air. So yes, Pilots run the Air Force, as they should. While they donít lead large groups of enlisted people early in their careers, the combat leadership of leading a formation in hostile territory, managing a diverse crew in podunk locations, and planning / executing operational missions more than makes up for the lack of leading a handful of airmen in garrison.
You do realize that there are many Captains and majors in the USAF that will lead squadrons of nearly 1000 before most pilots ever lead more than a formation, right?
CBreezy is offline  
Old 09-16-2018, 07:37 AM
  #10619  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Aug 2009
Posts: 562
Default

The smug little man, marching chest forward and head held high in Seattle last week. Your light up wheels on your rollaboard made us all look. I salute you Captain RJ Astronaut.
4runner is offline  
Old 09-16-2018, 08:08 AM
  #10620  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2016
Posts: 446
Default

Originally Posted by CBreezy View Post
You do realize that there are many Captains and majors in the USAF that will lead squadrons of nearly 1000 before most pilots ever lead more than a formation, right?
There arenít any Captains leading Squadrons in the Air Force, and very very few squadrons have a 1000 people. Thatís a tad exaggeration donít you think? Letís also be honest, the SNCO is actually usually running the show at the flight level. By the time a non rated officer is leading a 1000 people their rated peers have more than enough leadership experience needed to command.

Not saying it isnít eye opening as a young LT to have many airmen that you are in charge of. Just saying that a rated officerís leadership journey doesnít shortchange their experiences needed to command.
C130driver is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Elvis90
Military
2
11-11-2010 09:25 AM
meloveboeing
Regional
5
10-02-2010 07:47 AM
kc135driver
United
119
08-24-2010 08:30 AM
exerauflyboy5
Flight Schools and Training
15
02-18-2009 08:29 PM
Busdriver
JetBlue
70
01-16-2006 10:32 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread