Notices
Hangar Talk For non-aviation-related discussion and aviation threads that don't belong elsewhere

Tool of the day

Old 07-18-2017, 05:52 PM
  #9471  
Gets Weekends Off
 
GogglesPisano's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2013
Position: On the hotel shuttle
Posts: 5,806
Default

BTW, he never said it. It's an AM radio myth.

Al Gore: 'I Invented the Internet'
GogglesPisano is offline  
Old 07-18-2017, 09:26 PM
  #9472  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Apr 2017
Posts: 150
Default

Originally Posted by GogglesPisano View Post
BTW, he never said it. It's an AM radio myth.

Al Gore: 'I Invented the Internet'
He said he created it.
Lemons is offline  
Old 07-18-2017, 10:38 PM
  #9473  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Big E 757's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: A320 Left seat
Posts: 2,574
Default

Originally Posted by Poser765 View Post
I obviously don't speak for everyone, but as a 6'4" dude who rides the 175 jumpseat frequently... Don't leave your seat forward. Slide it back and over... Much more comfortable for me that way.
I agree. I'm frequently in the jumpseat on the E170/175. It's not too bad...I'm 5' 10", but the other day, for the first time, both pilots moved their seats back and out, and for the first time ever, I was in heaven in the jumpseat. I could extend my legs a little, at least while at cruise. It was one of the more comfortable jumpseat rides I've had.

Don't get me wrong, I'm always appreciative for the ride to or from work. And I'd never ask the pilots to do this....it's their flight. But don't feel like you have to keep the seat forward, unless that's where you want to sit.
Big E 757 is offline  
Old 07-19-2017, 03:03 AM
  #9474  
Gets Weekends Off
 
RhinoPherret's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,026
Default

Originally Posted by GogglesPisano View Post
BTW, he never said it. It's an AM radio myth.

Al Gore: 'I Invented the Internet'
It was also determined that Al Gore was an AM radio myth.
RhinoPherret is offline  
Old 07-19-2017, 06:18 AM
  #9475  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Aug 2014
Posts: 43
Default

Originally Posted by TiredSoul View Post
Tool of the day to the dude that just sprayed me with Diet Coke as I'm sitting in the middle of the middle on my delayed commute home.
Chaos at checkin
Chaos at TSA
Chaos at the Starbucks wannabes
Chaos at the gate

...then I get sprayed by a milennial who would probably croak and die if I take his smartphone away.

I'm not having a people day today.
Oh god. You ruined an already mediocre story with backwards logic and terrible cultural misunderstanding.

Everyone is capable of spilling cokes. That isn't generational.

I know baby boomers more attached to their phones and incapable of conversation than many millenials I know.

The fact that you blame a generation on coke spilling and phones just proves to me you view everyone else as the problem and if that's the case... you are probably the problem.

But don't listen to me. I'm of different age and not you... so I must be wrong.

The logic of some people is unbelievable.

Just wipe the coke off your shirt and and suck it up instead of complaining to the internet about it.

That's something a millennial would do.
Adanac is offline  
Old 07-19-2017, 06:21 AM
  #9476  
Gets Weekends Off
 
GogglesPisano's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2013
Position: On the hotel shuttle
Posts: 5,806
Default

Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
He said he created it.
Prove it. With references.
GogglesPisano is offline  
Old 07-19-2017, 06:47 AM
  #9477  
Gets Weekends Off
 
trip's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,224
Default

Prove it. With references.
CNN 1999


BLITZER: I want to get to some of the substance of domestic and international issues in a minute, but let's just wrap up a little bit of the politics right now.

Why should Democrats, looking at the Democratic nomination process, support you instead of Bill Bradley, a friend of yours, a former colleague in the Senate? What do you have to bring to this that he doesn't necessarily bring to this process?

GORE: Well, I will be offering -- I'll be offering my vision when my campaign begins. And it will be comprehensive and sweeping. And I hope that it will be compelling enough to draw people toward it. I feel that it will be.

But it will emerge from my dialogue with the American people. I've traveled to every part of this country during the last six years. During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet. I took the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our country's economic growth and environmental protection, improvements in our educational system.
It's just too funny to let go!!
trip is offline  
Old 07-19-2017, 06:54 AM
  #9478  
Gets Weekends Off
 
GogglesPisano's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2013
Position: On the hotel shuttle
Posts: 5,806
Default

Originally Posted by trip View Post
CNN 1999




It's just too funny to let go!!
Read the Snopes article. It's a fairly easy read. "Taking the initiative in creating the internet" is a lot different than "inventing." He didn't claim to "create" it, either.

Highlights: In context, Gore’s response (which employed the word “created,” not “invented”) was clear in meaning:
the vice president was not claiming that he “invented” the Internet in the sense of having designed or implemented it, but rather that he was one of the visionaries responsible for helping to bring it into being by fostering its development in an economic and legislative sense,

To claim that Gore was seriously trying to take credit for the “invention” of the Internet is, frankly, just silly political posturing that arose out of a close presidential campaign. If, for example, President Eisenhower had said in the mid-1960s that he, while president, “took the initiative in creating the Interstate Highway System,” he would not have been the subject of dozens and dozens of editorials lampooning him for claiming he “invented” the concept of highways or implying that he personally went out and dug ditches across the country to help build the roadway. Everyone would have understood that Eisenhower meant he was a driving force behind the legislation that created the highway system, and this was the very same concept Al Gore was expressing about himself with interview remarks about the Internet."

Even some of the guys who actually invented the internet give him credit -- and rightly so.

"But a spirited defense of Gore’s statement penned by Internet pioneers Robert Kahn and Vinton Cerf (the latter often referred to as the “father of the Internet”) in 2000 noted that “Al Gore was the first political leader to recognize the importance of the Internet and to promote and support its development” and that “No other elected official, to our knowledge, has made a greater contribution [to the Internet] over a longer period of time”:

"Al Gore was the first political leader to recognize the importance of the Internet and to promote and support its development.

No one person or even small group of persons exclusively “invented” the Internet. It is the result of many years of ongoing collaboration among people in government and the university community. But as the two people who designed the basic architecture and the core protocols that make the Internet work, we would like to acknowledge VP Gore’s contributions as a Congressman, Senator and as Vice President. No other elected official, to our knowledge, has made a greater contribution over a longer period of time.

Last year the Vice President made a straightforward statement on his role. He said: “During my service in the United States Congress I took the initiative in creating the Internet.” We don’t think, as some people have argued, that Gore intended to claim he “invented” the Internet. Moreover, there is no question in our minds that while serving as Senator, Gore’s initiatives had a significant and beneficial effect on the still-evolving Internet. The fact of the matter is that Gore was talking about and promoting the Internet long before most people were listening. We feel it is timely to offer our perspective."
GogglesPisano is offline  
Old 07-19-2017, 07:00 AM
  #9479  
Bye Bye Maddog!
 
Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: Movin' On UP........
Posts: 560
Default

Spoil sport!

It's just fun to rag on the Gorester!

Perfect target imho!
Piklepausepull is offline  
Old 07-19-2017, 07:03 AM
  #9480  
Gets Weekends Off
 
trip's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,224
Default

Originally Posted by GogglesPisano View Post
Read the Snopes article. It's a fairly easy read. "Taking the initiative in creating the internet" is a lot different than "inventing." He didn't claim to "create" it, either.

Highlights: In context, Gore’s response (which employed the word “created,” not “invented”) was clear in meaning:
the vice president was not claiming that he “invented” the Internet in the sense of having designed or implemented it, but rather that he was one of the visionaries responsible for helping to bring it into being by fostering its development in an economic and legislative sense,

To claim that Gore was seriously trying to take credit for the “invention” of the Internet is, frankly, just silly political posturing that arose out of a close presidential campaign. If, for example, President Eisenhower had said in the mid-1960s that he, while president, “took the initiative in creating the Interstate Highway System,” he would not have been the subject of dozens and dozens of editorials lampooning him for claiming he “invented” the concept of highways or implying that he personally went out and dug ditches across the country to help build the roadway. Everyone would have understood that Eisenhower meant he was a driving force behind the legislation that created the highway system, and this was the very same concept Al Gore was expressing about himself with interview remarks about the Internet."

Even some of the guys who actually invented the internet give him credit -- and rightly so.

"But a spirited defense of Gore’s statement penned by Internet pioneers Robert Kahn and Vinton Cerf (the latter often referred to as the “father of the Internet”) in 2000 noted that “Al Gore was the first political leader to recognize the importance of the Internet and to promote and support its development” and that “No other elected official, to our knowledge, has made a greater contribution [to the Internet] over a longer period of time”:

"Al Gore was the first political leader to recognize the importance of the Internet and to promote and support its development.

No one person or even small group of persons exclusively “invented” the Internet. It is the result of many years of ongoing collaboration among people in government and the university community. But as the two people who designed the basic architecture and the core protocols that make the Internet work, we would like to acknowledge VP Gore’s contributions as a Congressman, Senator and as Vice President. No other elected official, to our knowledge, has made a greater contribution over a longer period of time.

Last year the Vice President made a straightforward statement on his role. He said: “During my service in the United States Congress I took the initiative in creating the Internet.” We don’t think, as some people have argued, that Gore intended to claim he “invented” the Internet. Moreover, there is no question in our minds that while serving as Senator, Gore’s initiatives had a significant and beneficial effect on the still-evolving Internet. The fact of the matter is that Gore was talking about and promoting the Internet long before most people were listening. We feel it is timely to offer our perspective."
You wanted the proof he said it, there it is.
Of course you can explain his words anyway that suits you.

It's still funny!!!
trip is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Elvis90
Military
2
11-11-2010 09:25 AM
meloveboeing
Regional
5
10-02-2010 07:47 AM
kc135driver
United
119
08-24-2010 08:30 AM
exerauflyboy5
Flight Schools and Training
15
02-18-2009 08:29 PM
Busdriver
JetBlue
70
01-16-2006 10:32 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Your Privacy Choices