Go Back   Airline Pilot Central Forums - Find your next job as a Pilot > >
Military Military Aviation
 

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2018, 08:06 PM   #21  
Gets Weekends Off
 
F15andMD11's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2005
Position: B756 FO
Posts: 416
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy flyer View Post
...Be careful of Title 32 man-days in the ANG- don’t count toward 20...
Yes they do, otherwise half the ANG would never get there. I’m one of them on Title 32 orders. Realize it will take you at least twice as long to get to 20AD in ANG as a part timer. That’s 5 more years. Unless you’re thinking you’ll just come back to full time orders. Here’s the scenario, “Oh you want orders and you’re an O-5? (Very few of those per unit, called control grade). Sorry we’re saving those for our future commanders so we can give them the bonus to keep them.”
Dude you’re only 39🙄. 60 is too far away. Get your retirement! It’s worth it for Tricare alone.
Being the DO will help time fly! Heck maybe even CC in a year.
Good luck!
F15andMD11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:18 PM   #22  
Gets Weekends Off
 
hindsight2020's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2006
Posts: 363
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy flyer View Post
Thanks Salty Dog for the update. Yes, I was working off aged information, but the “6 in 8” rule used be a major factor for some.

FYI to the OP. I left the Reserves as an ART exactly 2½ years prior to a full civil service retirement. The way FERS is structured it didn’t cost me anything like losing an AD pension, but still was a factor. When you can’t hack it anymore, leave IMHO. I was in a great spot, on the O-6 list, 2-star sponsor and a Wing CC headed for the AFRC/DO job. Still, leaving worked out better, new career, new adventures, happier wife.

Life’s short, there are options, just be smart about it. Be ready for a job campaign, have a unit lined up, perhaps one with an ART opening you can fill.

GF
ART jobs don't hold a candle to airline compensation though. And the retirement is atrocious compared to AD/AGR. Let's be honest here. People ART up because of 'townie', not because of money. Sure, at the Wing and above, that mobility agreement starts becoming relevant. But for those who don't have the motivation to get saluted, it's really the homesteading the reason they take the paycut. And a paycut you take, especially as a new hire these days with that ghastly 4.4% vesting fee (from 0.8% for the old FERS timers, or a cool goose egg for the CSRS ladder pullers).

But do admit, it takes all kinds. Fat chicks need pushin' too. A 1% pension is better than no pension, or worse... an airline pension
hindsight2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 03:11 AM   #23  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2017
Posts: 106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F15andMD11 View Post
Yes they do, otherwise half the ANG would never get there. I’m one of them on Title 32 orders. Realize it will take you at least twice as long to get to 20AD in ANG as a part timer. That’s 5 more years. Unless you’re thinking you’ll just come back to full time orders. Here’s the scenario, “Oh you want orders and you’re an O-5? (Very few of those per unit, called control grade). Sorry we’re saving those for our future commanders so we can give them the bonus to keep them.”
Dude you’re only 39��. 60 is too far away. Get your retirement! It’s worth it for Tricare alone.
Being the DO will help time fly! Heck maybe even CC in a year.
Good luck!
I think he meant a 20 year AFS retirement. IDT points (MUTAS, M days) aren't counted as days towards 20 years active federal service. I truly wish that they were. 7300 points equates to 20 active years. Greedy congressman don't want Reservists drawing retirements prior to turning age 60.

Last edited by Gundriver64; 03-13-2018 at 03:27 AM.
Gundriver64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:12 AM   #24  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: May 2010
Position: Baja Vermont
Posts: 3,337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
ART jobs don't hold a candle to airline compensation though. And the retirement is atrocious compared to AD/AGR. Let's be honest here. People ART up because of 'townie', not because of money. Sure, at the Wing and above, that mobility agreement starts becoming relevant. But for those who don't have the motivation to get saluted, it's really the homesteading the reason they take the paycut. And a paycut you take, especially as a new hire these days with that ghastly 4.4% vesting fee (from 0.8% for the old FERS timers, or a cool goose egg for the CSRS ladder pullers).

But do admit, it takes all kinds. Fat chicks need pushin' too. A 1% pension is better than no pension, or worse... an airline pension
All true, but in 2005, there was no airline hiring like today. The ART career “path” has been a mess for years, but the morons in Robins still are in love with it. But, it did get into a fun gig that now pays a better pension than FERS and a fatter 401k than my TSP, both max’d out.

GF
galaxy flyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:26 AM   #25  
Gets Weekends Off
 
F15andMD11's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2005
Position: B756 FO
Posts: 416
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundriver64 View Post
7300 points equates to 20 active years.
Isn't 7200 points?
F15andMD11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:00 AM   #26  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: May 2010
Position: Baja Vermont
Posts: 3,337
Default

Then, how come I couldn’t “buy back” Title 32 time for FERS? Yes, I forgot AGR troops are Title 32, but I wasn’t sure about other Title 32 time.

Never mind, it must be a FERS thing.

GF
galaxy flyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:39 AM   #27  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 744 CA
Posts: 4,528
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle Bravo View Post
Consider staying until 20, here's why:
If you were at 10 or even 15 yrs, I'd say punch, do AGR and apply to the Big 6. But at 17.5, you can stick it out for 2 more years, and then you'll have $50K+ per year for the rest of your life, for just fogging a mirror. My Tricare, for my whole family, is freakin' $47 a MONTH. You can't beat that anywhere. Airlines charge 4, 5, 600 a month for medical. Every month. My annual Tricare bill ain't $600...
13 months prior to retirement, drop your papers, set the earliest retirement date possible, and when you hit terminal leave, you can be in your airline class. I had a buddy that was flying for SWA while on Terminal leave! Once you have a retirement date set 12 mos out, the 365 boogey man can't get you.

It's a high performance problem to have; best of luck however it breaks for you.
^^^^^ This....

plus..... at just 2500 hours you really are in the very bottom of where most the legacy carriers are going to hire from ... not saying there arent exceptions... if you could bang out 500-700 more hours over the next two years.. then if you still cant get hired directly to a legacy spend a year or so at a regional or at an ACMI cargo outfit... then you will be in the sweet spot for your dream job.. AND have 40-50K coming in every year as a bonus.....
HercDriver130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:48 AM   #28  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2017
Posts: 106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy flyer View Post
Then, how come I couldn’t “buy back” Title 32 time for FERS? Yes, I forgot AGR troops are Title 32, but I wasn’t sure about other Title 32 time.

Never mind, it must be a FERS thing.

GF
Reserve AGRs = Title 10
Guard AGRs = Title 32
Gundriver64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:08 AM   #29  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jan 2011
Position: A320 nearest the gear handle
Posts: 263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpster View Post
I'll get roasted for this but here goes. You are CRAZY to get out with less than 3 years to go. There I said it.
If he sleeps 12 hrs a day, it's only a year and a half.
hvydvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:16 AM   #30  
Gets Weekends Off
 
ExAF's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,458
Default

I'd finish the 20 and join the check-a-month club. As others have stated that, combined with Tricare is well worth it. There are plenty of younger hires already hired or to be hired that will always prevent you from being in the very high ranges of seniority no matter when you transition. Consider that in your decision. Good luck either way.
ExAF is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 

 
Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PILOT PAY: 30 years ago? 30 years from now? KNOT on CALL Major 42 12-11-2014 01:02 AM
Military Leave Policy Reminder Dave Behnke Cargo 109 08-27-2014 01:45 PM
The Career Path of an Airline Pilot unclepetey Regional 9 04-09-2008 03:03 PM
UPS & FedEx Upgrades will be atleast 7 more years! 757Slug Cargo 79 12-20-2007 07:44 AM
Career path of an airline pilot -or, Newhire Blues captain_drew Hangar Talk 2 04-14-2006 04:46 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:33 AM.


vBulletin® v3.9.3.5, Copyright ©2000-2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands