Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Hageland Aviation-Ravn Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 10:07 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Aug 2017

Thanks for the input Radio. The common sense part of me says to get IFR before I submit anything. Just wanted to confirm with someone who has First Hand knowledge. I’m just very anxious and won’t be starting IFR training until early spring. In a club flying VFR and building hours right now but want to have all the money saved up so I can knock out the IFR rating in the shortest time possible and have the money to pay for it up front.

Thanks again.
Bill
Old 11-29-2017, 11:38 AM
In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

Originally Posted by Tater023 View Post
Thanks for the input Radio. The common sense part of me says to get IFR before I submit anything. Just wanted to confirm with someone who has First Hand knowledge. I’m just very anxious and won’t be starting IFR training until early spring. In a club flying VFR and building hours right now but want to have all the money saved up so I can knock out the IFR rating in the shortest time possible and have the money to pay for it up front.

Thanks again.
Bill
Before you apply anywhere you need to read what privileges you have with a VFR-only Commercial ticket. Hint: It has nothing to do with flying IFR.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:27 PM
On Reserve

Ah yes, I recall reading about that even early on in traing for PPL. I recall it being very restrictive on CPL privileges without IFR rating. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:39 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2016

I am intrigued as to how you got to commercial without doing instrument training. I know it’s possible but to fly from 50ish to 250ish without getting instrument sounds like you are now gonna have to double pay for time before you can get any job.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:12 PM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by tonsterboy5 View Post
I am intrigued as to how you got to commercial without doing instrument training. I know it’s possible but to fly from 50ish to 250ish without getting instrument sounds like you are now gonna have to double pay for time before you can get any job.
Sorry if I may have confussed anyone. I just received my PPL early in 2017. I am in a flying club with a pa28 and currently fly for pleasure. It’s rather cheap, relatively speaking, for me to be in the club ($62/hr), rather than renting from the local FBO. The plane is also IFR certified. Starting IFR early Spring and will hopefully obtain CPL shortly thereafter.

I’m older and looking to make a career change to aviation in the next couple years and at this point just trying to learn some of the ins and outs.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:28 PM
On Reserve

That’s what I really enjoy about this forum. Learning from others and their knowledge so I can hopefully avoid future mistakes. Like not paying double before getting a job! lol
Old 11-29-2017, 03:36 PM
In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

Originally Posted by tonsterboy5 View Post
It's not hard. I got my instrument at 550 hours and CP at 600.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:54 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2016

I understand the getting time on the cheap, I would just recommend that if you have access to a cheap plane and you are just flying for fun find a cfii to give some lessons enroute to your $100 burger. Nothing says you have to do all training every flight but toss on the Foggles a little bit and shoot an approach each time. It wil save tons of money in the long run. I am also a mid life career change so I get how you can have a bunch of time and no cpl, i own my own plane and just flew it randomly without much of a purpose, gave me all the time I needed for cpl but none of the maneuvers. Thankfully i picked them up relatively fast so the extra time wasn’t expensive.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:35 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2017

I’m surprised anyone even touches this company, especially considering it has recent history with aircraft going down.

I guess if you like wild Wild West flying and captains who violate FAR’s on the regular and safety is always compromised, this is your place. Way too many horror stories.

I get it Alaska is a rough environment to fly in and it takes a special person but there is no reason to do things that are illegal, and have people in management not support you.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:13 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Squawkbox2012 View Post
I’m surprised anyone even touches this company, especially considering it has recent history with aircraft going down.

I guess if you like wild Wild West flying and captains who violate FAR’s on the regular and safety is always compromised, this is your place. Way too many horror stories.

I get it Alaska is a rough environment to fly in and it takes a special person but there is no reason to do things that are illegal, and have people in management not support you.
Really? You have some special inside knowledge of flying in Alaska?

I spent several years in Alaska. Like anywhere else 95% of the time it was boring flights, but with a view. And it is cold in winter and spectacular in summer, but I wasn't going to risk my tickets to fly as you describe. I never met anyone as you describe.

Different yes. Wild west cowboys flagrantly violating FARs and compromising safety..?? You watch too much reality Tv shows.