Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Hageland Aviation-Ravn Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 07:26 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2012

Any classes planned for January/February ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 10-27-2017, 11:41 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2015

Originally Posted by jrav8r View Post
What airframe and position does someone with 135 PIC mins start out?
I had 1000 hours Alaska/Bethel time when they offered me a job and said I would start in the 207 and would have to "earn a job in the Caravan" they would "base it off how I was growing flying in Alaska because its not for everyone." That was a year ago so not sure how it is now but I would expect the 207. The quotes are exact words from the "interview". One of the guys that was offered the Caravan directly in my group had an ATP and 5000 hours on the 207 in Bethel so I guess those are the mins lol. Granted to earn your stripes in Western Alaska everyone should have to fly an overloaded 207 in to the Kwig or Newtok at least once with a 40kt crosswind and a drunk native with a shotgun on the runway aiming at you.

Last edited by PrettyFlyGuy; 10-27-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:24 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: 7th green

Word is the Hageland DO is encouraging his pilots to write up perceived FAR violations when they jumpseat on other carriers. Better plan on living in the bush if you fly for them.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:35 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Packrat View Post
Word is the Hageland DO is encouraging his pilots to write up perceived FAR violations when they jumpseat on other carriers. Better plan on living in the bush if you fly for them.
No clue if that is true but, the DO is the exact reason I declined the job with them. That dude has some serious issues. After Ravn having 3 accidents he still had the audacity to tell me he is the whole reason for the new safety culture in Alaska and that if I didn't follow his way I better not work there. I have never been speechless and confused in an interview to the point of just walking away until speaking with him. I literally couldn't help but laugh. Erin seems really nice so not sure how she handles working with that.
Grants new DO is the best guy around so since they pay basically the same I would choose them in a heartbeat if I went back.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:15 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007

Originally Posted by PrettyFlyGuy View Post
No clue if that is true but, the DO is the exact reason I declined the job with them. That dude has some serious issues. After Ravn having 3 accidents he still had the audacity to tell me he is the whole reason for the new safety culture in Alaska and that if I didn't follow his way I better not work there. I have never been speechless and confused in an interview to the point of just walking away until speaking with him. I literally couldn't help but laugh. Erin seems really nice so not sure how she handles working with that.
Grants new DO is the best guy around so since they pay basically the same I would choose them in a heartbeat if I went back.
Grant has a new payscale?
Old 10-27-2017, 07:28 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2012
Position: Left seat

I've heard rumors of them encouraging their pilots to do this for perceived violations by the neighborhood friendly competition as well. It seems like that could backfire in unexpected ways.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:57 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2015
Position: Yes

As someone who is not even a pilot for Hageland any more I find this RUMOR very repulsive and since it is completely unsubstantiated it is just that. The DO knows how awful this would be for the company and all of the pilots under the RAVN umbrella. Who the hell is flying a sled in western Alaska that would have the slightest idea what is going on in a 121 cockpit? Not only that, but what would Hageland stand to gain from it?

‘Squatch
Who is taking his jug and going home
Old 10-27-2017, 09:23 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by alaskadrifter View Post
Grant has a new payscale?
No but Grant pays first year 208 drivers 240/day plus 94/day per diem so that's 334/day plus 10 bucks per flight hour so could be higher and Hageland pays 330/day. Literally the same and Ravns big bonus ends in beginning of 2018 so that's no good for a new hire now. Grant also pays round trip plane tickets so no jump seating also a plus.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by CrabSquatch View Post
As someone who is not even a pilot for Hageland any more I find this RUMOR very repulsive and since it is completely unsubstantiated it is just that. The DO knows how awful this would be for the company and all of the pilots under the RAVN umbrella. Who the hell is flying a sled in western Alaska that would have the slightest idea what is going on in a 121 cockpit? Not only that, but what would Hageland stand to gain from it?

‘Squatch
Who is taking his jug and going home
I really doubt it's 121 but jump seating on local ops to the villages. If so I hope they do it to the Alaska airlines guys. Those tools were always calling the Feds on things we did. One of my best buds up there had to get a lawyer to fight the FAA after an Alaska pilot told the Feds he flew to low of an approach. D@&$ move in my opinion.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:18 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2015
Position: Yes

I’ve never had issues with ASA - which company were you working for?