Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Mokulele Pay to Fly

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 07:09 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2014

Looks like the cost of this training has been cut in half. The ad now shows $3500. No takers at $7k(?)
Old 10-02-2018, 08:36 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2017

Originally Posted by Sanguy View Post
Looks like the cost of this training has been cut in half. The ad now shows $3500. No takers at $7k(?)
$3500 too much
Old 10-04-2018, 09:20 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2014

Originally Posted by SoFloFlyer View Post
Idk where you got the idea where they’d make money with this Caravan gig, but they don’t... unless you consider 18k money. CFIs can easily break 25k a year. Probably 30k at a decent school that have plenty of students. Sorry, but this a “pay 7k to fly a big cessna 172.” Just a bad deal. A commercial license means you get compensated for flying and if the company is serious, they should pay for training. Sorry, but this undermines the industry as a whole.
So you keep going back to the flight instructing option for the 250 hour pilot. Great idea, but not everyone wants to flight instruct! What are the jobs available for a 250 hour pilot besides flight instructing? Towing gliders? I've done that, you are lucky to get lunch after hanging around all day for maybe 3 hours of flight time. Traffic watch? How many of those jobs are out there? Towing banners? Same thing, couple jobs. Okay fine, if you are a gorgeous model, maybe someone will hire you as a co-pilot on a Gulfstream. http://nadiamarcinkomodel.com//#_=_

Apparently, they cut the PFT fee to $3500. I agree that PFT sucks and in a nice world, all us pilots would be "unified" but the fact is, we are not! $19,110 minus $3500 = $15610 first year pay for a 250 hour pilot.

Another option is to buy a small aircraft and fly the guts out of it, perhaps you can have an aerial photography business with revenues that will buy you um.... a Happy meal??
You are going to pay one way or another! It's still peanuts and when my son turns 18, I'll sign him up so you can blame me for undermining the industry.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:29 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2015

Originally Posted by 155mm View Post
So you keep going back to the flight instructing option for the 250 hour pilot. Great idea, but not everyone wants to flight instruct! What are the jobs available for a 250 hour pilot besides flight instructing? Towing gliders? I've done that, you are lucky to get lunch after hanging around all day for maybe 3 hours of flight time. Traffic watch? How many of those jobs are out there? Towing banners? Same thing, couple jobs. Okay fine, if you are a gorgeous model, maybe someone will hire you as a co-pilot on a Gulfstream. Nadia Marcinko

Apparently, they cut the PFT fee to $3500. I agree that PFT sucks and in a nice world, all us pilots would be "unified" but the fact is, we are not! $19,110 minus $3500 = $15610 first year pay for a 250 hour pilot.

Another option is to buy a small aircraft and fly the guts out of it, perhaps you can have an aerial photography business with revenues that will buy you um.... a Happy meal??
You are going to pay one way or another! It's still peanuts and when my son turns 18, I'll sign him up so you can blame me for undermining the industry.
You're part of the problem...this is embarrassing
Old 10-04-2018, 09:39 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by mike sierra View Post
You're part of the problem...this is embarrassing

-“Every problem is a gift. Without them we wouldn’t grow” – Tony Robbins
Old 10-04-2018, 09:42 AM
Gets Weekends Off

So you keep going back to the flight instructing option for the 250 hour pilot. Great idea, but not everyone wants to flight instruct! What are the jobs available for a 250 hour pilot besides flight instructing? Towing gliders? I've done that, you are lucky to get lunch after hanging around all day for maybe 3 hours of flight time. Traffic watch? How many of those jobs are out there? Towing banners? Same thing, couple jobs. Okay fine, if you are a gorgeous model, maybe someone will hire you as a co-pilot on a Gulfstream. Nadia Marcinko

Another option is to buy a small aircraft and fly the guts out of it, perhaps you can have an aerial photography business with revenues that will buy you a Happy meal??
I’d consider how paying to fly right seat in a 208 is going to look down the road. It’s fine to not want to flight instruct (I do think it’s the best pay and the best experience from 250-1200hrs), but, and I’m saying this as advice and not a dig, I’d be embarrassed to show up for a job interview and have to explain that on my resume.

If you want to make money, get to 135 mins fast and increase your employability, flight instruct at a school and independently for a year.

If you don’t want to instruct, I don’t think your chance of having all three is nearly as good.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:57 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by TeamSasquatch View Post
I’d consider how paying to fly right seat in a 208 is going to look down the road. It’s fine to not want to flight instruct (I do think it’s the best pay and the best experience from 250-1200hrs), but, and I’m saying this as advice and not a dig, I’d be embarrassed to show up for a job interview and have to explain that on my resume.

If you want to make money, get to 135 mins fast and increase your employability, flight instruct at a school and independently for a year.

If you don’t want to instruct, I don’t think your chance of having all three is nearly as good.
Keep the posts coming! This type of rhetoric gets noticed. ie: PFT already cut in half. In a couple of months, they'll drop PFT and have a one year contract or you owe xx$. In a year they'll drop that and offer a pay raise. Keep it coming!
Old 10-04-2018, 10:02 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Keep the posts coming! This type of rhetoric gets noticed. ie: PFT already cut in half. In a couple of months, they'll drop PFT and have a one year contract or you owe xx$. In a year they'll drop that and offer a pay raise. This is all good! Keep it coming!
You are 100% correct here. If they can’t find anyone to fly, the pay, benefits and QOL all go up!
Old 10-04-2018, 10:57 AM
Gets Weekends Off

I get that not everyone wants to be a CFI or should be a CFI, BUT this isn’t the 90s. No one should pay for a flying gig especially if it’s not a type rating. Air Choice One has a right seat gig. Pays as much a low-ish end CFI and it’s in a 208 flying hard IMC. Tropic Ocean flies to the Bahamas, flying skydiving ops is another option. Survey gigs are more common than you think and there’s a good amount of companies that do it in a multi.

Point is, paying for training in a 208 is just bad all around. It gets you nothing speacial.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:09 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2008

I live 5 minutes away from their California base and wouldn’t mind flying there. But no way I’m paying for any of that. I’ve had my resume in at 1000tt with an internal rec for months and silence. But someone writes them a check and gets the job. Yeah that’s great!