Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

JetSuite Inc/JSX

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 05:31 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2014
Position: Captain - Retired

Originally Posted by Minepza View Post
Every other post above is literally about how we are a separate company than JetSuite. And no they’re not hiring right now.
I'm not really interested in reading your old posts. And yes, JSX is hiring right now because they are sending out PRIA requests for pilots they've interviewed previously. This is what I'm telling you. The question is why?

The furloughs are coming when the CARES money runs out. This is true of all the airlines. No one is going to fly a reduced schedule with a full staff. So again that brings up the question, why are they hiring?
Old 05-26-2020, 05:29 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2011
Position: Corporate Jet Captain

Originally Posted by NineGturn View Post
I'm not really interested in reading your old posts. And yes, JSX is hiring right now because they are sending out PRIA requests for pilots they've interviewed previously. This is what I'm telling you. The question is why?

The furloughs are coming when the CARES money runs out. This is true of all the airlines. No one is going to fly a reduced schedule with a full staff. So again that brings up the question, why are they hiring?
I agree with you that is very odd. Before the CORVID they were operating with almost 200 pilots and now around 26-32. I have 10 friends that work there and none of them have flown since mid March. They get 7 day pay plus benefits. So they are not technically furloughed just not flying. They have been told the earliest they will fly is October so unless everyone has quit during the last few months I have no idea why they would be interviewing to hire pilots.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:16 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Dec 2019

It could be them catching up on outstanding items as they were hiring pretty quickly for a while.

They are still conducting initial phone interviews, but all hiring after initial phone interviews are suspended.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:52 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2019

Originally Posted by OnTheRun View Post
I agree with you that is very odd. Before the CORVID they were operating with almost 200 pilots and now around 26-32. I have 10 friends that work there and none of them have flown since mid March. They get 7 day pay plus benefits. So they are not technically furloughed just not flying. They have been told the earliest they will fly is October so unless everyone has quit during the last few months I have no idea why they would be interviewing to hire pilots.
Just wanted to correct some of the points you mentioned:

- Pilot Count was around 170 pre-COV, around 150 were flying (others coming through training or waiting for IOE)
- June bid forecasts up to around 80 pilots flying, possibly into the 90's but some pilots took UTO
- Non-flying pay is 8 days with benefits
- Never heard of the "October" thing, last update was to be ready to fly as flights return (still trying to keep pilots current)

My two cents:
I've been very happy with the transparency throughout all of this and there's a healthy amount of optimism about our place in the industry when the dust settles. HQ has shared candidly about the current health of JSX (not Jetsuite) while welcoming discussion about money, furloughs, growth etc. I think "most" of us feel good about a future w/o furloughs and optimistically being near the front of the airline recovery. The situation could, of course, change in the future based on numerous external factors. Hope everyone is doing well and healthy!
Old 05-26-2020, 12:28 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2018

From my anecdotal observations the loads have been improving throughout May. A few more frequencies will be added back in June and hopefully they will continue to see good loads across the board. I will be going back out on the line in June and am looking forward to it. So far the leadership group has been great in keeping us informed. There have been some very specific questions in past discussions about our financials and they were willing to answer all of them. The promise was that there will be no furloughs and although I never take anything as spoken word, I hope they will keep this promise. Based on what I've been seeing I don't see why not. In my opinion the business model has some definite advantages come recovery time and they plan to take advantage of all of them. My personal feeling is that once Vegas reopens on the 4th we will see a substantial increase in business.

From what I hear still no hiring, although they are conducting phone interviews and placing people into a pool.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:49 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2014
Position: Captain - Retired

A little off topic and I appreciate the optimism but I always wondered how JSX was able to operate. It seems they are burning through investor dollars. The business model has been tried before and has never ever succeeded in the long term. If you do the math on the ticket prices and sales it simply doesn't work. If they pull through this current downturn in business and eventually become profitable it will be the first time this business model has ever actually worked.

Last I heard they are 50 to 100 million in the hole.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:19 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2018
Position: Line holder

Originally Posted by lifetakesflight View Post
Just wanted to correct some of the points you mentioned:

- Pilot Count was around 170 pre-COV, around 150 were flying (others coming through training or waiting for IOE)
- June bid forecasts up to around 80 pilots flying, possibly into the 90's but some pilots took UTO
- Non-flying pay is 8 days with benefits
- Never heard of the "October" thing, last update was to be ready to fly as flights return (still trying to keep pilots current)

My two cents:
I've been very happy with the transparency throughout all of this and there's a healthy amount of optimism about our place in the industry when the dust settles. HQ has shared candidly about the current health of JSX (not Jetsuite) while welcoming discussion about money, furloughs, growth etc. I think "most" of us feel good about a future w/o furloughs and optimistically being near the front of the airline recovery. The situation could, of course, change in the future based on numerous external factors. Hope everyone is doing well and healthy!

Oh, this is WAY too happy for APC. Where is the conspiracy, the malevolence, the hidden agenda? Surely it can’t be as simple as they cut flights commensurate with bookings, are bringing them back as bookings rise, and have kept their pilot group informed as to what they’re doing along the way?
No way THAT is happening, there HAS to be something nefarious going on...we don’t believe it and it must be proven otherwise!

Oh, even if l wasn’t too busy filling out job applications (never seem to get past the screen, can’t figure out why), I’m really not interested in reading your response. I’m going to get back to planning our annual Wing Derringer Owners Group meeting and watching Naked and Afraid reruns.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:28 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2018
Position: Line holder

A little off topic and I appreciate the optimism but I always wondered how JSX was able to operate. It seems they are burning through investor dollars. The business model has been tried before and has never ever succeeded in the long term. If you do the math on the ticket prices and sales it simply doesn't work. If they pull through this current downturn in business and eventually become profitable it will be the first time this business model has ever actually worked.

Please share the math, educate us. And share the basis for your statements...if any exist.

Every startup, by definition, burns investor cash to acquire market share it doesn’t have—because it’s a startup. Usually, not always, it’s equity, not debt. Most startups don’t qualify for, nor is it prudent to take on, debt. So how can a company funded by investors to spend money to acquire market share without debt be “in the hole”?

And what company has tried the Part 380 model before?

Again, any insight (and you’re covering a a lot) is appreciated ... but should be explained and validated. At least that is what my pedicurist’s husband’s cousin heard from his Lyft driver.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:22 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2020

Again I think you’re mixing up JetSuite with JSX. I believe I read that JetSuite was in the hole for some crazy amount and was not making money that’s why they filed BK right away. JSX has been profitable in all the routes, except the ones launched recently for obvious reasons. Hence the rapid growth, investments, and additional planes that were coming.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:05 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2011
Position: Corporate Jet Captain

Originally Posted by Minepza View Post
Again I think you’re mixing up JetSuite with JSX. I believe I read that JetSuite was in the hole for some crazy amount and was not making money that’s why they filed BK right away. JSX has been profitable in all the routes, except the ones launched recently for obvious reasons. Hence the rapid growth, investments, and additional planes that were coming.
In the early days of JetSuiteX they depended on JetSuite for capital as the company grew from one plane that was a lease. Also, the companies were not really corporately separate except having different Part 135 certificates and Part 119 staff. As they grew they separated from JetSuite and became self supportive. This CORVID pandemic is the real test of health of a company of any kind. No way to hide behind it. If after all the stimulus monies rather they be grants or loans run out and JSX is still operational then they are going to be stronger and smarter coming out of the pandemic then they were going in.