Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Wheels Up Operators (Gama, DPJ, TMC)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 03:19 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: PIC Challenger 605

Originally Posted by Starbucks View Post
I'm not sure I would trust that. Several pilots on leave until August and the remainder are on reduced schedules until then. I can't believe they would run any class while asking a portion of their pilot group to take unpaid leave at the same time. Hopefully this all clears up sooner rather than later.
June seems a little optimistic to me as well. That said, how long is the training footprint from day of hire to signed off on the line? I would think a mid June start would line up well if they really are planning to be back at full capacity in August. New hires would hit the line right about the time (or slightly after) the established crews are back to the normal schedule.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:18 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2015
Position: Begging for a crew meal

Originally Posted by SrfNFly227 View Post
June seems a little optimistic to me as well. That said, how long is the training footprint from day of hire to signed off on the line? I would think a mid June start would line up well if they really are planning to be back at full capacity in August. New hires would hit the line right about the time (or slightly after) the established crews are back to the normal schedule.
I don't know. It's my feeling that they're doing pretty well by the pilot group as in how they are handling the fallout from this thus far. I just can't see them bringing in new hires on the payroll while we still have many on a LOA and reduced schedule / pay. Again this is just my opinion and hopefully everything spools up for WUP quickly.
Old 04-30-2020, 05:51 PM
Speed Verified

Joined APC: Sep 2017

Where did you hear no May or June classes? I am in the pool (interviewed in mid March) and we get a weekly call giving us updates. I was told yesterday that they are still hoping for June.
D.H., head of HR hiring said it during her presentation at the FAPA virtual job fair on the 29th.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:04 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2017

Originally Posted by Das Auto View Post
9 in the air right now as of 12.30pm West coast. A trickle compared to this time a month ago but still revenue nonetheless. I flew out to the East coast on a A321 last tour. Myself and 5 others in 1st class with a grand total of around 20 in the back. The ticket was $200. They must he hemorrhaging money at that rate. I read Delta is burning through $100 million day.
This time, one year ago: what would be the average number of flights in the air (swag guestimate)?
Old 05-01-2020, 04:02 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2019
Position: BE300 Left Seat

From the TSA site:

Total Traveler Throughput yesterday was: 154,695, one year ago same day was: 2,499,461
Not flight numbers, but a decent measure of how busy the industry is and was...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2020, 05:53 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2019

Where did you hear no May or June classes? I am in the pool (interviewed in mid March) and we get a weekly call giving us updates. I was told yesterday that they are still hoping for June.
Which hiring pool? I am in the DPJ pool and don't get a weekly call. Was told June or July is the new target time frame. Granted, I fully understand it is totally unknown until demand necessitates. I will be pleasantly surprised if I am in a class by end of July, or at all.
Old 05-03-2020, 11:38 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by stang View Post
Which hiring pool? I am in the DPJ pool and don't get a weekly call. Was told June or July is the new target time frame. Granted, I fully understand it is totally unknown until demand necessitates. I will be pleasantly surprised if I am in a class by end of July, or at all.
Wheels Up pool.
Old 05-03-2020, 04:38 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Wheels Up pool.
So GAMA? Cause Wheels Up doesn’t hire pilots yet as far as I know? But maybe I’m behind.

I guess I should elaborate. Right now the certificates are still separate, Gama, TMC, and DPJ. So which one did you apply to?
Old 05-03-2020, 05:24 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by EMAW View Post
So GAMA? Cause Wheels Up doesn稚 hire pilots yet as far as I know? But maybe I知 behind.

I guess I should elaborate. Right now the certificates are still separate, Gama, TMC, and DPJ. So which one did you apply to?
Semantics much? I am in the pool to fly the white and blue King Airs with Up written in big letters on the tail.

But yes, I guess I should have said Gama.
Old 05-03-2020, 06:06 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Semantics much? I am in the pool to fly the white and blue King Airs with Up written in big letters on the tail.

But yes, I guess I should have said Gama.
Yes because semantics matter. Up until a few months ago Wheels Up didn稚 even come close to employing pilots, it was made very clear that we did not work for Wheels Up.
BTW welcome to GAMA. Make sure you know your stuff when you hit OE.