Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Wheels Up Operators (Gama, DPJ, TMC)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2022, 03:48 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2020

which certificate are you going to?
Originally Posted by Greyhawk79 View Post
Any new hires have info on training at Wheels Up recently?
Old 01-22-2022, 04:19 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2022
Position: retired

Originally Posted by goingplaces View Post
Sorry. Just got verbal offer for wheels up jets
Old 01-22-2022, 04:22 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2022
Position: retired

Verbal offer for Be400
Old 01-22-2022, 04:32 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2020

One week of indoc then off to sims for two weeks to get a full type on the BE400
PM if you need any information or gouge info.

QUOTE=Greyhawk79;3358132]Verbal offer for Be400[/QUOTE]
Old 01-23-2022, 10:03 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2014

I see GIV and G450 on the WU website. Are those something you can bid for? If you have time/type in those fleets, are you sent there with no recourse?

Thanks in advance.

TC
Old 01-25-2022, 09:37 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2017
Position: King Air 350 Captain

Why is Mountain advertising on the big orange site for a G-4 PIC and it is not going out to bid to the rest of the group. Every time I see one of the job adds it does not fit in with the new Wheelsup 360 pilot promise.

This is a late reply but its my understanding the G4 at mountain is on some DOD mission and either the insurance or the DOD requires the PIC to have 500 time in type and 250 PIC in type. (Usually they allow you to sub PF time in type for PIC in time in type internally) We got an email addressing it. They offered it internally but the times required were not something anyone working here that isn’t already in the G4 would have and I guess their current SICs either don’t want or are somehow otherwise unqualified for the PIC positions on it. We’ve had a bid out for the SIC position in the G4 at mountain across all three companies for the past 4 or 5 months. Not sure why nobody has taken it but the company has said that they are in urgent need of a PIC with the time in type that the DOD requires and they can’t get anyone internally so they have had no choice but to shop the position externally.

To clarify, im not sure if its the DOD that needs the times, or the insurance, or both. Im guessing its the DOD.

I have also heard that it requires a security clearance.

We keep our highest earned pay step now so, I would have figured anyone would Jump on the GIV SIC bid and that person would probably be upgraded as soon as they hit 500 hours unless the vacancy gets totally filled but street hires. The GIV is a weird deal on a weird contract and is certainly not indicative of the company upholding their bid system promises as a whole. I understand at present they are honoring seniority bassed placements in everything else including the SIC position on that airframe. I would jump on the GIV SIC bid myself but I’m seatlocked and not really that hype about the mandatory 15/13 schedule that comes with it either. It’ll probably be filled before I can bid and the PIC slot will definitely be filled before I could get 500 hours on type so I did not bid it.

Its also 1 airframe. Movement on it will be reallllllllly slow so there are definitely some disadvantages to the job. The one major advantage being its a GIV type. That is worth alot just to get on your airman certificate.
Old 01-25-2022, 06:11 PM
Pathological Flyer

Joined APC: Jul 2007

A question for the guys flying the 350s, For pastime, I'll follow one of the planes for a few days on flightware and there are a couple days where you're doing 3,4,5 trips in a day then maybe one and the plane appears to sit. Are they pulling you off that plane and shuffling you onto another always? I know the simple answer is depends. But is it pretty common that you won't stop for 8 days straight or do you get to sit with the plane on those 1 trip days? Also, the 5-6 hours between flights, you just hanging at the FBO or? Like to hear about when you're not flying. Day in the life for those of us getting into the 135 world . One more, when you are airline to your plane is there any consideration which plane is the closest or is it pretty much anywhere in the country there is a hitch requiring a pilot? Thanks much.

Last edited by Flightsoffusion; 01-25-2022 at 06:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-25-2022, 09:11 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Originally Posted by Flightsoffusion View Post
A question for the guys flying the 350s, For pastime, I'll follow one of the planes for a few days on flightware and there are a couple days where you're doing 3,4,5 trips in a day then maybe one and the plane appears to sit. Are they pulling you off that plane and shuffling you onto another always? I know the simple answer is depends. But is it pretty common that you won't stop for 8 days straight or do you get to sit with the plane on those 1 trip days? Also, the 5-6 hours between flights, you just hanging at the FBO or? Like to hear about when you're not flying. Day in the life for those of us getting into the 135 world . One more, when you are airline to your plane is there any consideration which plane is the closest or is it pretty much anywhere in the country there is a hitch requiring a pilot? Thanks much.
Either the crew is sitting on standby with the aircraft, either at the FBO or the hotel, or the aircraft is broke. If you break you may be shifted to another aircraft, there are a lot of factors that go into that decision. Typically, unless you have an out and back with the same passengers you aren’t sitting for 5-6 hours before flying again. As far as aircraft assignments, it’s more about “do we have a crew in the city”, next is “who’s the easiest/cheapest crew to get there”. Then when you throw in training/evaluation requirements, it becomes a little complex.
That’s at least what happens on the WheelsUp Aviation (Gama) side.
Old 01-26-2022, 12:43 AM
Pathological Flyer

Originally Posted by EMAW View Post
Either the crew is sitting on standby with the aircraft, either at the FBO or the hotel, or the aircraft is broke. If you break you may be shifted to another aircraft, there are a lot of factors that go into that decision. Typically, unless you have an out and back with the same passengers you aren’t sitting for 5-6 hours before flying again. As far as aircraft assignments, it’s more about “do we have a crew in the city”, next is “who’s the easiest/cheapest crew to get there”. Then when you throw in training/evaluation requirements, it becomes a little complex.
That’s at least what happens on the WheelsUp Aviation (Gama) side.
Thank you for the insight EMAW.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:57 PM
Pathological Flyer

The start date is about a week before indoc. What's happening during that time? Online CBTs? Thank you