Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Wheels Up Operators (Gama, DPJ, TMC)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2021, 07:44 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Standing in front of the tank with a shopping bag
Question How do the pay differences work?

Hey All,

Quick question.. Wheels Up recently acquired Mountain Aviation, who had significantly higher pay scales than the current WUP ones listed, i.e., a Mountain Aviation Citation X First Officer was making $80,0000/Yr +$10,000 for a 15/13 voluntary schedule. Their Captains were making 6 figures vs. the listed pay at WUP.. So I am sure that they didn’t cut the pay at Mountain to match the pay scale.. Did they just freeze it until they catch up with the WUP Payscale? Just wondering…
Old 12-14-2021, 09:12 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Originally Posted by B727DRVR View Post
Hey All,

Quick question.. Wheels Up recently acquired Mountain Aviation, who had significantly higher pay scales than the current WUP ones listed, i.e., a Mountain Aviation Citation X First Officer was making $80,0000/Yr +$10,000 for a 15/13 voluntary schedule. Their Captains were making 6 figures vs. the listed pay at WUP.. So I am sure that they didn’t cut the pay at Mountain to match the pay scale.. Did they just freeze it until they catch up with the WUP Payscale? Just wondering…
No one got a cut, because they transitioned to a scale based on “STEPS” not years. Everyone transitioned to the “step” corresponding to the next higher salary for their equipment and seat. Meaning at six year Super-mid Captain transitioned to Step 3 for nice raise.
At least that’s how I understand it. If anyone on the Mountain side has a different explanation, I welcome it.
Old 12-14-2021, 01:44 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Dec 2021

Originally Posted by Tankerds View Post
I’m on the King air, you couldn’t pay me enough to go fly the beech jet lol. Advantage is much newer avionics and planes, disadvantage is you’re going .50ish vs .72ish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
.50 someone redlining those ITT huh lol. Well get you there slow and steady.
Old 12-15-2021, 04:00 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Standing in front of the tank with a shopping bag
Question Sweet!

Originally Posted by EMAW View Post
No one got a cut, because they transitioned to a scale based on “STEPS” not years. Everyone transitioned to the “step” corresponding to the next higher salary for their equipment and seat. Meaning at six year Super-mid Captain transitioned to Step 3 for nice raise.
At least that’s how I understand it. If anyone on the Mountain side has a different explanation, I welcome it.
That's awesome! Props to Wheels Up for keeping it classy.

Also, are there fences for people who want to stay on the aircraft that they are currently flying, like King Air pilots who want to stay on that platform? And how hard is it to bid between fleets?
Old 12-15-2021, 05:52 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Originally Posted by B727DRVR View Post
That's awesome! Props to Wheels Up for keeping it classy.

Also, are there fences for people who want to stay on the aircraft that they are currently flying, like King Air pilots who want to stay on that platform? And how hard is it to bid between fleets?
No fences that I know of. If you want to stay on the aircraft you are assigned, you can’t be bumped. Transitioning to other aircraft isn’t hard either. They announce the need, and you bid. If you have the seniority, and no problems in your past within the company, you’ll get it.
Old 12-17-2021, 01:27 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Nov 2021

Hello everyone I’m an RJ guy. But my new brother in law is just over 1800 TT and he’s torn right now between going the regional route and the 135 route with wheels up.

I’ve told him about the pros and cons of the airline life. He’s not a big fan of reserve nor the mighty pay cut from his current gig. But doesn’t mind the benefits.

His eventual goal is a legacy or cargo. But if he likes the lifestyle he’s also considering the fractionals.

I honestly don’t know much about the 135 world as I went cfi to RJ and haven’t looked back so would definitely appreciate some info I can give him about the pros and cons of both and what might be the fastest route to his end goal since he is 37. He does like the schedule a little better and the pay at wheels but likes the fast upgrades right now in the 121 world.

Thank you everyone we appreciate the help.

Old 12-18-2021, 06:56 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2018

Originally Posted by BravoSierra175 View Post
Hello everyone I’m an RJ guy. But my new brother in law is just over 1800 TT and he’s torn right now between going the regional route and the 135 route with wheels up.

I’ve told him about the pros and cons of the airline life. He’s not a big fan of reserve nor the mighty pay cut from his current gig. But doesn’t mind the benefits.

His eventual goal is a legacy or cargo. But if he likes the lifestyle he’s also considering the fractionals.

I honestly don’t know much about the 135 world as I went cfi to RJ and haven’t looked back so would definitely appreciate some info I can give him about the pros and cons of both and what might be the fastest route to his end goal since he is 37. He does like the schedule a little better and the pay at wheels but likes the fast upgrades right now in the 121 world.

Thank you everyone we appreciate the help.

As someone who has done both, to me it would be a no brainer to go to WUP vs slugging it out at the regionals for an unknown number of years. We have plenty of guys who leave WUP for the majors as wel

Old 12-19-2021, 06:02 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Nov 2021

Originally Posted by Tankerds View Post
As someone who has done both, to me it would be a no brainer to go to WUP vs slugging it out at the regionals for an unknown number of years. We have plenty of guys who leave WUP for the majors as wel

Hey appreciate the reply. What kind of movement are you seeing at WUP? At least at my regional, captains are moving on in 4 years right now sometimes less if they have the right connections. If it’s similar times I would definitely agree WUP would be a good choice!
Old 12-29-2021, 08:56 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2018

Originally Posted by BravoSierra175 View Post
Hey appreciate the reply. What kind of movement are you seeing at WUP? At least at my regional, captains are moving on in 4 years right now sometimes less if they have the right connections. If it’s similar times I would definitely agree WUP would be a good choice!

Guys can move on at any point, they generally have a lot more experience then you’d find with your typical regional captain (i.e multiple types, previous turbine time etc), a lot of guys stay and stay on the king air or move to one of the jets. The guys who are leaving are all moving up to bigger carriers, no lateral moves. It’s hard work tho, but great QOL. Not for everyone.

Old 12-29-2021, 09:52 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2021

Does whoever is operating the former(?) TMC beechjets provide their pilots with data from the AFD?