Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Wheels Up Operators (Gama, DPJ, TMC)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 06:34 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2016

Originally Posted by hdgbug View Post
We are up to 3 or 4 emails on the topic and they still haven't explicitly stated in writing the effect this will have on our salary. I'm hoping this is a result of an oversight, not an attempt to cut salaries and still apply for the bailout which prohibits cutting pay rates. I have pressed for it to be laid out clearly how this effects our pay, and I would encourage everyone to ask the question.

Maybe it's my history with sketchy companies, but this omission over multiple emails from different people makes me nervous. I sure hope they wouldn't be trying to reduce salaries beyond the reduction in scheduled days, but again we are paid a yearly salary, nothing tied to days or hours worked.
It was specifically stated in the email from Charlie Wogast. 8/13 is a 33% cut and the 8/20 is a 50 % cut in salary. The pay drop is proportional to the amount worked.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:27 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2018

Originally Posted by Busdriver91 View Post
It was specifically stated in the email from Charlie Wogast. 8/13 is a 33% cut and the 8/20 is a 50 % cut in salary. The pay drop is proportional to the amount worked.
I'm not trying to be difficult, however the letter from Wolgast did no such thing. The letter does not address compensation in any direct way. I understand the inference that could be drawn when it says "8/20 schedule (50% reduction)" and "8/13 schedule (33% reduction)". But nowhere does it state that these statements are related to compensation, it could only be addressing a 50% or 33% reduction in schedule.

Also, if we are talking about that letter, it stated that we were to receive more information on those programs later that day. I was expecting to see a better breakdown of the options when we received that additional information. That additional information never came.

While yes, I can come to the same conclusion that pay will be reduced the same amount as schedule, why is it seemingly impossible to have that in writing? Having it in writing doesn't hurt the company unless they are trying to hide or get around something. Not having it in writing gives them the potential of a blank check for what they can do to our compensation in the name of shared sacrifice. I've unfortunately experienced what can happen when the employees aren't protected by clear policies. I'm trying to chalk this omission up to the craziness that I am sure has been happening across the company the past couple days, and obviously there have been breakdowns in getting the information out to the pilots. But this is my livelihood that they are affecting, and I do feel entitled to a clear understanding of the way in which they are altering my compensation.

I am definitely grateful to still be employed and thankful to be in a position where a bit of shared sacrifice isn't going to be severely damaging to me. That doesn't change the fact that the communication needs to be better.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:15 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2016

We are up to 3 or 4 emails on the topic and they still haven't explicitly stated in writing the effect this will have on our salary. I'm hoping this is a result of an oversight, not an attempt to cut salaries and still apply for the bailout which prohibits cutting pay rates. I have pressed for it to be laid out clearly how this effects our pay, and I would encourage everyone to ask the question.

Maybe it's my history with sketchy companies, but this omission over multiple emails from different people makes me nervous. I sure hope they wouldn't be trying to reduce salaries beyond the reduction in scheduled days, but again we are paid a yearly salary, nothing tied to days or hours worked.
I’ll have to look through and see which publication is the one that said it, but I know there was one that did clearly say that the salary reductions were the same as the percent in schedule reduction. In other words, the 8/13 will be a 33% PAY reduction and the 8/20 a 50% PAY reduction.

One thing to consider is that many states are allowing partial unemployment due to reduced hours because of the pandemic. I know my state is one of them. Just another thing to consider.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:54 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by StainRJDriver View Post
I’ll have to look through and see which publication is the one that said it, but I know there was one that did clearly say that the salary reductions were the same as the percent in schedule reduction. In other words, the 8/13 will be a 33% PAY reduction and the 8/20 a 50% PAY reduction.

One thing to consider is that many states are allowing partial unemployment due to reduced hours because of the pandemic. I know my state is one of them. Just another thing to consider.
I'm fairly confident that I have scrubbed the documents they have sent out and have not found anything written about compensation, but I could have missed something. Please let us know if you can locate it. GF did verbalize this concept in the call that was just on, but verbal still doesn't give us the protections that something in writing does.

I'm not pleased that they have frozen scheduled pay increases in the published payscale. I could understand offering backpay when this is "over", but apparently that is completely off the table as well.
Old 04-09-2020, 10:42 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2016

I know you are extremely worried about losing pay and not having it in writing. I, on the other hand am extremely happy I still have a job and work for a company where the people at the top are sacrificing pay as well. We are at least working less for less pay. I seriously doubt KD is cutting his hours even though he halved his pay.
Old 04-09-2020, 12:02 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Busdriver91 View Post
I know you are extremely worried about losing pay and not having it in writing. I, on the other hand am extremely happy I still have a job and work for a company where the people at the top are sacrificing pay as well. We are at least working less for less pay. I seriously doubt KD is cutting his hours even though he halved his pay.
Being grateful to still have a job is not mutually exclusive to criticising the way things are being handled. Maybe I have just had the unfortunate experience of working for companies that appear to be on the up and up that then turn around and screw over people with loopholes such as this. Those experiences have made me extremely cautious when it comes to word of mouth promises or vague policies. I understand the situation, and understand the changes to schedules and pay. That is why I, too, am thankful to still be working. What I don't understand is why they can put out a polished 26 page communications package (which was clearly not thrown together), in addition to multiple other emails, but can't spell out the effect on our salary. That doesn't seem like an unreasonable request that has fallen on deaf ears.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:00 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2016

Being grateful to still have a job is not mutually exclusive to criticising the way things are being handled. Maybe I have just had the unfortunate experience of working for companies that appear to be on the up and up that then turn around and screw over people with loopholes such as this. Those experiences have made me extremely cautious when it comes to word of mouth promises or vague policies. I understand the situation, and understand the changes to schedules and pay. That is why I, too, am thankful to still be working. What I don't understand is why they can put out a polished 26 page communications package (which was clearly not thrown together), in addition to multiple other emails, but can't spell out the effect on our salary. That doesn't seem like an unreasonable request that has fallen on deaf ears.
Was everyone’s questions answered in the conference call?
Old 04-09-2020, 02:27 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2019

Originally Posted by jbeauv View Post
Was everyone’s questions answered in the conference call?
I was unable to be on it. Any highlights or cliff notes?
Old 04-09-2020, 03:18 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2017

but can't spell out the effect on our salary. That doesn't seem like an unreasonable request that has fallen on deaf ears.
they said that there is a salary freeze. As in won’t go up or down. Right? Just stays the same but working fewer days.
Old 04-09-2020, 04:18 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2016

Originally Posted by MikeBates View Post
they said that there is a salary freeze. As in won’t go up or down. Right? Just stays the same but working fewer days.
If you have selected the 8/13 subtract .33% from your salary. The salary you are paid is based on a 80 hour pay period, 26 times a year = 2080 hours, take your current salary divide it by 2080 that is your hourly rate (90k = 43.26), now 2080x.33= 686, 2080-686= 1394(1394x43.26= 60,304.00)