Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Wheels Up Operators (Gama, DPJ, TMC)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 07:19 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Got the phone call today of a conditional offer in the BE400 as an FO with a start date of 6/1 (was offered earlier but current job needs me until then). I will be based out of SNA. I saw that people use ACI, Is that still the case? How much do you guys pay a day to park in their lot? Do you easily get flights out of SNA or can it be a battle?

I have tried to skim through the forums but have not seemed to found a clear, recent answer so I apologize if these are elsewhere.

I am aware of the base pay but was quoted by the recruiter that first year FO usually pull between 100k-130k after overtime, per diem, etc. How accurate would you say this is?

One of the benefits is "select Wheels Up Membership benefits and pilot - specific Wheels Down benefits". What are these benefits?

What is the typical duty day/ rest periods that you experience in the real world in the BE400?

What were your thoughts on the latest earnings call?

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2022, 03:56 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2019
Position: Poolside

Originally Posted by gbo2 View Post
Any of you guys that have made the move from the regionals want to shoot me a pm? Maybe the pros & cons of each? I feel like the options weigh heavily in favor of WU than my current gig at ENY.
I just had breakfast with a (former) Envoy pilot who was hired by NetJets in January. He seemed quite happy with his decision.
Old 03-16-2022, 02:53 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2014

Do they want the minimums met prior to applying, or is it like the regionals where you’ll get a CJO pending meeting minimums? My goal is to get hired and start at WU this fall and I’m currently at 1000 hours.
Old 03-18-2022, 08:29 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2021
Default Answer

Originally Posted by CAv8r11 View Post
Got the phone call today of a conditional offer in the BE400 as an FO with a start date of 6/1 (was offered earlier but current job needs me until then). I will be based out of SNA. I saw that people use ACI, Is that still the case? How much do you guys pay a day to park in their lot? Do you easily get flights out of SNA or can it be a battle?

I have tried to skim through the forums but have not seemed to found a clear, recent answer so I apologize if these are elsewhere.

I am aware of the base pay but was quoted by the recruiter that first year FO usually pull between 100k-130k after overtime, per diem, etc. How accurate would you say this is?

One of the benefits is "select Wheels Up Membership benefits and pilot - specific Wheels Down benefits". What are these benefits?

What is the typical duty day/ rest periods that you experience in the real world in the BE400?

What were your thoughts on the latest earnings call?

Thanks!
1. Most pilots just use company paid Uber to get the airport. The company would also pay for “employee parking” if the airport offers it.
2. 130k is completely unrealistic, even on a 15/13 schedule. 100K is doable, but your going to have to work a lot of your days off, which is what it is. Plus, we’re talking gross pay here. If you want to break 100k net income, then yea, I hope you know how to grind.
3. The Wheels down pilot events are so far, a mythical idea. Not a single one has taken place for the pilots.
4. You can expect a minimum of half your rotations, to be 4 legs, 14hr duty, 10hrs rest.
Old 03-18-2022, 08:32 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2021
Default Answer

Originally Posted by Peabody17 View Post
Except NetJets whose base schedule is 7 on/7 off.
Flexjet also.
Old 03-20-2022, 07:22 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2018

Originally Posted by gbo2 View Post
Any of you guys that have made the move from the regionals want to shoot me a pm? Maybe the pros & cons of each? I feel like the options weigh heavily in favor of WU than my current gig at ENY.

Apply to netjets first, if you get a no from them keep trying over the coming years and in the meantime head to WUP. Much better QOL. I left TSA in 2018, worked at WUP on the king air for 3.5 years, and recently was hired by NJ. So much better then the regionals it’s not even close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2022, 09:30 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2022

Anyone applying/interviewing that wants the scoop on the first couple of months on the Light Jet side feel free to PM me. Just went through INDOC and ATP/CTP and waiting for sim training and can shed some light on the process and a realistic timeline for getting up and running. Sim centers super backed up.
Old 03-25-2022, 11:26 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008
Position: PIC

Originally Posted by CAv8r11 View Post
Got the phone call today of a conditional offer in the BE400 as an FO with a start date of 6/1
Even including per diem (which you shouldn't) as you said they did, you won't make $100k. Remember that you won't even hit the line for the first 4 months or so.

The only significant Wheels Down benefit is Hertz President's Circle status, the rest is all meaningless.

Can't speak to parking at ACI specifically, but their lot always looks pretty full. Whether or not it is hard to get flights out of SNA is their problem, not yours. They will buy you a ticket. Expect to depart at 7-10 am on go to work day.

On the road, you will work about 12 hours on/12 hours off if your plane is airworthy. You will get some 14/10 days and some 10/14 days.
Old 03-26-2022, 05:28 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2019

Which fleets would you get the most flying out of as FO and Capt?
Old 03-28-2022, 05:01 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2012
Position: P180 Captain

Originally Posted by Wonderoats View Post
Which fleets would you get the most flying out of as FO and Capt?
If you get a strong airplane for the week (either KA or BJ) you’ll earn your money. In the past, if you got one of the less-reliable tails, you’d get a break for a day or two until the maintenance is completed.

These days, if your airplane has a maintenance event… You’ll be putting on a face-diaper and slogging thru airline travel to another tail that’s coming out of maintenance.

Set your expectations accordingly!

edit to add: The recently-added pay overrides actually DO add up and make a difference in the old paycheck.