Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 04:43 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Apr 2015
Position: Left Seat Brasilia, 1900, 99

Originally Posted by LRSRanger View Post

This isn't so much a bash on AMF, as on the industry as a whole. Like I can feed my kids with turbine time. However, the game is changing, and regionals are looking better and better all the time. I've got one foot out the door (thank Christ) so it doesn't really affect me, but Dallas should look long and hard at the weekly compensation vs hours worked if they want to stop the pilot hemorrhage.
So $44,000 a year isn't enough for a 20 year old pilot right at 135 mins with no turbine experience?

I never had a Wendy's job that gave me a 10 hour break in the middle of my day to go do whatever I wanted.

I get your point, and I'm not sure what base your at, but for the 18 months I was out stationed based, I hardly felt like I was truly on duty that whole time. Instead it felt like, show up, work for 3ish hours, go home, take a nap, watch tv, go fishing, whatever, back to work for 3 hours, go eat Mexican food with the gang, watch tv, fall asleep, rinse and repeat. Not bad at all.

It's all in the mindset. FORTUNATELY, my mindset is that of a young guy with no wife or kids yet, so it's all fun and games to me :-D
Old 10-29-2015, 06:29 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Originally Posted by Snotrocket View Post
So $44,000 a year isn't enough for a 20 year old pilot right at 135 mins with no turbine experience?

I never had a Wendy's job that gave me a 10 hour break in the middle of my day to go do whatever I wanted.

I get your point, and I'm not sure what base your at, but for the 18 months I was out stationed based, I hardly felt like I was truly on duty that whole time. Instead it felt like, show up, work for 3ish hours, go home, take a nap, watch tv, go fishing, whatever, back to work for 3 hours, go eat Mexican food with the gang, watch tv, fall asleep, rinse and repeat. Not bad at all.

It's all in the mindset. FORTUNATELY, my mindset is that of a young guy with no wife or kids yet, so it's all fun and games to me :-D
The single, lonely pilot is who freight flying was built for. 44k is a much better starting salary than it used to be. It fills the mission for a couple of years until you can leave for something decent. LSR's point is that regional pay is coming on par, and the longer you stay, the better the pay gets, and the QOL is above and beyond better. Good for you for adjusting your mindset to like that lifestyle.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:32 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2015
Position: Left seat bizjet

Originally Posted by Snotrocket View Post

First of all, we don't get paid 44 grand a year, it's 34 grand. I was here for 7 months making the 34 grand number every week till the first bonus check came out. Also, I have firsthand knowledge of a guy who got online a couple weeks after one of the cutoffs and HR told him he was out of luck. So he isn't getting any 44K a year pay till he's already flown the line for 7.5 months. It's called a bonus for a reason. The only reason they do bonuses instead of real pay is it strings people along with a fat carrot on a stick, when really they should be paid fairly all along. Also it's cheaper than straight pay because some people won't technically qualify till they have been on property for a few months, or if someone leaves before the payout they get out of paying that quoted wage for 4 months.

And yes, I'm worth more than 34K. My age should have nothing to do with it, though I don't fall into the demographic, personal life experience or logbook numbers you put me in. Maybe that's why I'm less than happy here, I have higher quality of life expectations than your average college student. I'm not happy with a pizza and a 6 pack every night like I used to be. Apparently my peers agree with me since we have more contracted lines than we have pilots on the list. If life here was so great we wouldn't be chartering out lines to our competition.

I agree, it's all in the line you get. I wrote from an in station perspective, but since you bring up outstation... Yesterday I had 4 hours with my kids. That's 20 hours a day away from home. I don't care what recreational opportunities are in whatever meth town the layover is at, I want to be home with my family, and I think those sacrifices deserve monetary compensation. I'm cuts deep when my 4 year old looks in my eyes and asks "daddy why are you never home with me?" and my 3 year old says "because he works". For $640 a week take home.

But fine, this place is awesome, and we are paid fairly. Peak should be a rockin' good time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2015, 06:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LRSRanger View Post
First of all, we don't get paid 44 grand a year, it's 34 grand. I was here for 7 months making the 34 grand number every week till the first bonus check came out. Also, I have firsthand knowledge of a guy who got online a couple weeks after one of the cutoffs and HR told him he was out of luck. So he isn't getting any 44K a year pay till he's already flown the line for 7.5 months. It's called a bonus for a reason. The only reason they do bonuses instead of real pay is it strings people along with a fat carrot on a stick, when really they should be paid fairly all along. Also it's cheaper than straight pay because some people won't technically qualify till they have been on property for a few months, or if someone leaves before the payout they get out of paying that quoted wage for 4 months.

And yes, I'm worth more than 34K. My age should have nothing to do with it, though I don't fall into the demographic, personal life experience or logbook numbers you put me in. Maybe that's why I'm less than happy here, I have higher quality of life expectations than your average college student. I'm not happy with a pizza and a 6 pack every night like I used to be. Apparently my peers agree with me since we have more contracted lines than we have pilots on the list. If life here was so great we wouldn't be chartering out lines to our competition.

I agree, it's all in the line you get. I wrote from an in station perspective, but since you bring up outstation... Yesterday I had 4 hours with my kids. That's 20 hours a day away from home. I don't care what recreational opportunities are in whatever meth town the layover is at, I want to be home with my family, and I think those sacrifices deserve monetary compensation. I'm cuts deep when my 4 year old looks in my eyes and asks "daddy why are you never home with me?" and my 3 year old says "because he works". For $640 a week take home.

But fine, this place is awesome, and we are paid fairly. Peak should be a rockin' good time!

You describe exactly why AMF creates a huge percentage of bitter alumni. This comment will get heat, but AMF is really built for the new, young pilot and the new, young pilot only. It isn't for adults with adult considerations (kids, mortgage, investments, retirements, QOL). The only exception would be the upper level management positions, not base manager and below, but executive level positions. But comparing those positions to like positions in the industry, you're likely to see a huge monetary disconnect there as well.

For the wet ticket ATP or fresh 135 mins pilot who wants to go fly single pilot and build some good skills, go for it! It is a hard sell when regional upgrades are becoming a year or sooner from DOH. What an amazing time to start professional flying. In 2010 when I joined AMF the mentality was "nobody is hiring, take the 28k, shut up and like it, if you don't, I have a line of furloughed airline pilots ready to take your coveted spot." Now they are in full desperation mode trying to get anyone who can fog a mirror and shoot an ILS.

I feel for AMF over the next 5 years, I am not sure they are gonna survive. At least not with some serious downsizing, and I can't imagine the tactic of buying out, or crushing the competition, only to not be able to satisfactorily fill those routes is good for their reputation.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:25 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
You describe exactly why AMF creates a huge percentage of bitter alumni. This comment will get heat, but AMF is really built for the new, young pilot and the new, young pilot only. It isn't for adults with adult considerations (kids, mortgage, investments, retirements, QOL). The only exception would be the upper level management positions, not base manager and below, but executive level positions. But comparing those positions to like positions in the industry, you're likely to see a huge monetary disconnect there as well.

For the wet ticket ATP or fresh 135 mins pilot who wants to go fly single pilot and build some good skills, go for it! It is a hard sell when regional upgrades are becoming a year or sooner from DOH. What an amazing time to start professional flying. In 2010 when I joined AMF the mentality was "nobody is hiring, take the 28k, shut up and like it, if you don't, I have a line of furloughed airline pilots ready to take your coveted spot." Now they are in full desperation mode trying to get anyone who can fog a mirror and shoot an ILS.

I feel for AMF over the next 5 years, I am not sure they are gonna survive. At least not with some serious downsizing, and I can't imagine the tactic of buying out, or crushing the competition, only to not be able to satisfactorily fill those routes is good for their reputation.

Young people and guys weird enough not to get hired elsewhere. And people who are so beat down or drunk on kool-aid they lost sight of their own aspirations.

I don't feel for AMF one little bit, them and the rest of the bottom feeder carriers have made profit for decades based on a business model of employee abuse. They get what they deserve. And I could care less if I get heat, I'll speak the truth regardless.

Out of roughly 8 pilots I know personally, at least 4 of them are cracking their knuckles at the prospect of sending in their resignation notice.

AMF (and all regionals/feeder cargo) will either change or shrivel up and die. Either that or Brown will pull out their checkbook, if these runs are worth it to them. Either way I'll pop my popcorn and laugh.

It truly is a great time to be a pilot. For once we have some leverage. Let's not waste it.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:37 AM
Banned

Well I don't feel bad for AMF, I just feel for them because there is almost nothing they can do to change their status or the public perception. The Kool-Aid drinkers and spewers will catch a few stray pilots though, that's for sure.

The last guy I personally know finally left AMF a couple of months ago, and he was more than gitty to hit send on his resignation letter.

Hell, just the fact that AMF pilots are able to speak out now shows how the tables have turned. The stuff I saw pilots canned for when I was there created a subservient, fearful pilot group. Everyone walked on eggshells.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:42 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
Well I don't feel bad for AMF, I just feel for them because there is almost nothing they can do to change their status or the public perception. The Kool-Aid drinkers and spewers will catch a few stray pilots though, that's for sure.

The last guy I personally know finally left AMF a couple of months ago, and he was more than gitty to hit send on his resignation letter.

Hell, just the fact that AMF pilots are able to speak out now shows how the tables have turned. The stuff I saw pilots canned for when I was there created a subservient, fearful pilot group. Everyone walked on eggshells.

Not so any more. We had a guy that landed wheels up and get retrained (2nd hand knowledge). Frankly even if I WAS fired, I would go home and tell my wife the good news that I will actually be around this Christmas! I have enough offers to fly $400/day contracts and $45/hr CFI work that I honestly don't know why I'm still here. New job coming in March, so I guess I'll just stick it out for peak. Though quitting 1 Dec sure would feel nice.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:47 AM
Banned

Well, retraining and fixing pilot deficiencies for incidents and accidents is something the rest of the industry has done for decades, so it is good to see them catch up. I remember guys getting fired for failing recurrent, no retrain, no consideration to fatigue or maybe the pilot was having a bad day, just bye bye.

I hope they are planning for peak now, because more people will quit lol. Man I will never forget peak... I hope to forget someday, but I doubt I will.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:21 AM
Gets Weekends Off

My prediction is going to be that Peak is going to be a giant goat rodeo. Fewer pilots than runs BEFORE peak even starts?

Old 10-29-2015, 08:43 AM
Banned

They will just make the current crop work that much harder. Sitting 10 hours with nothing to do at your Days Inn? Nope, hop in your mighty rust bucket and cover another run.