Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

60av8tor 09-14-2016 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Flyboyxc91 (Post 2202164)
Just wanted to clarify my previous experience instead of feeling like I just got put down for setting hands on a "too capable" airplane to be a "good" situational IFR Pilot.

Seriously??? Read Buff's response and then read your rant... Pretty sure he was just offering advice so you are best prepared. I guess you can take this as a put down as well - keep up with that attitude and you're going to have a great time in this industry. Get over yourself "Flyboy".

USMCFLYR 09-14-2016 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Flyboyxc91 (Post 2202164)
My qualifications on a G1000 are simply that, a qualification I listed for my overall experience. I've had 5 students all pass Instrument checkrides as my time as an instructor so far - 1 has been on a G1000 and two were on aircraft that were equipped with standard analogue OBS/CDI.... Put another way I never flew ANY glass till about 300 hours ago and still regularly independently instruct in BASIC six packs, I also never even touched any GPS till I was half way through my instrument training. Ive done localizer BC non precision approaches using basic NAV/LOC REVERSE sensing just fine. Just wanted to clarify my previous experience instead of feeling like I just got put down for setting hands on a "too capable" airplane to be a "good" situational IFR Pilot.

This response reads like someone who can't take criticism/advice very well.

It also sounds like you think you are some gift to aviation for being able to fly a LOC BC.

I would have expected some response like 'Thanks buff.....I do keep a hand in old style instruments'.

Maybe buff, in his experience at Ameriflight, has come across a few 'glass babies' who have struggled with transitioning 'back' to glass and was offering some sage advice for someone hoping to move on from instructing.

frmrbuffdrvr 09-14-2016 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jetlife (Post 2201687)
This is what you, and your fellow management AMFers still don't, and clearly never will, get. A second crewmember is NOT just an expense. They are an asset to the cockpit, an asset to the company, an asset to safety, and they should be treated as such.

Your statement should speak volumes as to how FOs will be treated there.

You're right. I was a bit clumsy in how I phrased that. As about a third of my own flight time is in crew aircraft (and a good portion of that in a 6 crewmember plane) I know very well the advantages an additional crew member can provide, provided they are well qualified.

I was speaking strictly from a business view point. As almost all of our operations can be conducted single pilot, paying a second pilot during flights where it isn't required IS an expense. Once that pilot becomes a captain, then they DO generate revenue that an FO rarely does. That's not to denigrate FOs. It's just reality.

Would it be nice to pay to have a second pilot on every flight? IMHO, absolutely. Does it make good business sense? No. If it did, then the airlines would pay to have a third pilot sit in the jump seat every flight to have another set of eyes overseeing everything.

Flyboyxc91 09-14-2016 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR (Post 2202302)
This response reads like someone who can't take criticism/advice very well.

It also sounds like you think you are some gift to aviation for being able to fly a LOC BC.

I would have expected some response like 'Thanks buff.....I do keep a hand in old style instruments'.

Maybe buff, in his experience at Ameriflight, has come across a few 'glass babies' who have struggled with transitioning 'back' to glass and was offering some sage advice for someone hoping to move on from instructing.

Just felt like I was being downgraded for the job due to my current G1000 experience, and wanted to give some example of other equipment I've flown "basic".... sorry for the confusion on my attitude.

Hand Commander 09-14-2016 02:47 PM

Instrument current, high performance, complex endorsed, 200 hrs KLN90B experience including dual given.

CFI/CFII/MEI - 1.5 yrs working CFI 6 months on KLN90B glass

There, fixed it for you. Now you're one of the best candidates to ever apply.

Jetlife 09-14-2016 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Flyboyxc91 (Post 2202857)
Just felt like I was being downgraded for the job due to my current G1000 experience, and wanted to give some example of other equipment I've flown "basic".... sorry for the confusion on my attitude.

G1000 experience is completely irrelevant to AMF that's why. Don't take it as making fun of you, but more of expressing that G1000 time isn't going to help you to fly a clapped out steam gauge airplane.

sobo 09-14-2016 03:13 PM

Yeah I would drop the G1000 thing.

We're desperate for pilots as it is. Just be confident flying a 6 pack and with single pilot ops and you're in.

We are offering a big incentive for SA227 pilots in the form of a $10,000 signing bonus and a 20% retention bonus 18 months in.

USMCFLYR 09-14-2016 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Flyboyxc91 (Post 2202857)

It is more like a 'know your audience'.

Playing up some glass time for AMF just isn't relevent.

Good luck to you if this is the road that you decide to go down.

It sounds like a good place to get some time and experience before moving on for most people.

It is hard to see it at your level, and some of that is understandable, but take the EXPERIENCE for what it is worth; you'll often find experience trumps hours.

PrettyFlyGuy 09-14-2016 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by sobo (Post 2202914)
Yeah I would drop the G1000 thing.

We're desperate for pilots as it is. Just be confident flying a 6 pack and with single pilot ops and you're in.

We are offering a big incentive for SA227 pilots in the form of a $10,000 signing bonus and a 20% retention bonus 18 months in.

Is it just 135 mins to start in the metro liner? What is the multi time requirement? My girls employer is based in Florida and we have the offer to move there and I see they operate metros there. Do you know the routes/schedule there?

Thanks

dribz 09-15-2016 07:14 AM

Anyone in the hiring pool around June/July been called in yet? I'm still waiting on my class date.