Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 01:08 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by 0000 View Post
Other than the EMB-120's, the rest of the fleet is single pilot. Tell me again why we would pay for accommodations for FO's that are not required for flight and detract from already thin margins?
Because it would be the right thing to do.
Whether needed or not - they are still an employee of the company.

Maybe you can answer the question I posed to LRS or jetlife.

Are their insinuations of the circumstances correct?
Old 09-22-2016, 01:22 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Apr 2016

Yes, they are not given hotel rooms on layovers. While I would not embrace this if I was making the decisions here; I would make a requirement for Eagle Jet to pay for hotels or no program at all.

It's working well for AMF and nothing said here will change that. More and more FO's come through the system, there's no surprise here. If the FO's want to take a stand they can.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:47 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2015
Position: Left seat bizjet

When I flew a run my FO was left to fend for himself all day, every day. 8AM to 5PM, no food within reasonable walking distance either. Another run out of my base the FBO kicked him out and so the PIC either had to take pity on him and double up in the hotel room every day, or he was stuck on the Tarmac all day. I am waiting for the crew to show up, I'm not waking the poor guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2016, 01:47 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by 0000 View Post
Yes, they are not given hotel rooms on layovers. While I would not embrace this if I was making the decisions here; I would make a requirement for Eagle Jet to pay for hotels or no program at all.

It's working well for AMF and nothing said here will change that. More and more FO's come through the system, there's no surprise here. If the FO's want to take a stand they can.
And how long are these layovers - and hour, 4 hours, 12 hours?

I knew a guy way back in the day who flew checks and waiting in the FBO for 4 hours. I talked to him a few times and he seemed to enjoy the break; but if we are talking much more than that I'd have to agree with you and the others that would seem to be a mistake.

I hardly get anytime in the FBOs anymore. In and out - gas and go. I enjoy the times we have a weather delay or something else causes us to have some time to spend at the FBO. Either catch up on the news, drink some coffee, eat a piece of fruit, surf the web, talk to the FBO gals or just some pilots sitting around (even got an offer for a job interview once like that).

LRS said:
When I flew a run my FO was left to fend for himself all day, every day. 8AM to 5PM, no food within reasonable walking distance either. Another run out of my base the FBO kicked him out and so the PIC either had to take pity on him and double up in the hotel room every day, or he was stuck on the Tarmac all day. I am waiting for the crew to show up, I'm not waking the poor guy.
And if that was the case here then as I said above - poor form no doubt. That is what I was looking for - details. Remember - not all of us have worked at AMF. What seems clear to you is not clear at all to those watching from the outside.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:49 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
Because it would be the right thing to do.
Whether needed or not - they are still an employee of the company.

Maybe you can answer the question I posed to LRS or jetlife.

Are their insinuations of the circumstances correct?
Wrong, Eagle Jet FOs are not employees. The Korean Air pilots live off an allowance that is part of their program. If you want them to have a hotel, maybe you should take it up with Korean Airlines.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:52 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by own nav View Post
Wrong, Eagle Jet FOs are not employees. The Korean Air pilots live off an allowance that is part of their program. If you want them to have a hotel, maybe you should take it up with Korean Airlines.
They are performing work for AMF.
Call it what you will.
From those looking - they are wearing AMF uniforms, wearing AMF crew badges, and are associated with that AMF plane sitting out on the ramp.
They are representing AMF.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:04 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2015
Position: Left seat bizjet
Default Ameriflight

Originally Posted by own nav View Post

They have a AMF photo ID and are .293 and .299 qualified to fly revenue producing runs. They log time under op specs. We use them to qualify for reduced minimum takeoffs. They wear the same uniform as captains. But yea, they aren't actually employees so eff them right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2016, 02:21 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
Sounds like unless we have the whole story of WHY the guy was sleeping in the FBO then we don't really know.

That is why I asked if he spoke the individual. If that is the fact that the company is hanging him out for an entire day/night then I'd agree with you - but those details are lacking.

No reason for me to be settling down there jetlife.......I'm an outsider looking in and applying common sense and asking some questions for clarification - not some hater who can't move on or lover who works there.
Well the whole story is, PFT FOs are not provided accommodations during a layover. So if there is a 10-12 hour layover on a given run, the PFT FO is given a pat on the butt and is to fend for themselves. If they are bumped because of weight issues, they have to fend for themselves for the entire night. Oh but management will guilt trip you to let them stay in your hotel room all day.

You're right, you're an outsider who has no qualification to offer insight to the situation, because you haven't worked for AMF, or NJA.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:10 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
Well the whole story is, PFT FOs are not provided accommodations during a layover. So if there is a 10-12 hour layover on a given run, the PFT FO is given a pat on the butt and is to fend for themselves. If they are bumped because of weight issues, they have to fend for themselves for the entire night. Oh but management will guilt trip you to let them stay in your hotel room all day.

You're right, you're an outsider who has no qualification to offer insight to the situation, because you haven't worked for AMF, or NJA.
Now the first part of your post is all that was needed. Thanks for eventually answering a simple question.

As for the second part -
And what insight have I offered jetlife?
When have I ever said 'this is how things are at AMF' or 'I think that these are the answers to your questions...'?

I asked a question for clarification.

Remember - this forum is for others to learn from - not your little soap box. How about you take a deep breath when someone asks a question before trying to turn it into something it isn't.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

Um, yeah, you asked a question, got a fact based answer, and countered with your opinion of what defines an "employee." Are we sharing information here, or just trying to stir up controversy?