Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-24-2016, 03:08 AM   #3351  
Banned
 
Joined APC: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,920
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by own nav View Post
There's Jetlife, a little later than I expected though, you must have had a busy week.
I was actually going to leave your comment alone, but it is just too comical to watch you and Buff, and the tiny bubble you live in.
Jetlife is offline  
Old 10-26-2016, 03:12 PM   #3352  
Line Holder
 
higherclimb's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2009
Posts: 41
Default

I'm going to apply to Ameriflight after the holiday. I've flown the chieftain out of PDX a few years ago and would like to do it again. I really enjoyed buzzing around the northwest. any AMF pilots know how the Portland routes are? Are there any routes that start in the afternoon?
higherclimb is offline  
Old 10-26-2016, 03:42 PM   #3353  
Gets Weekends Off
 
sobo's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2016
Posts: 175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by higherclimb View Post
I'm going to apply to Ameriflight after the holiday. I've flown the chieftain out of PDX a few years ago and would like to do it again. I really enjoyed buzzing around the northwest. any AMF pilots know how the Portland routes are? Are there any routes that start in the afternoon?
I don't think any of our routes start in the afternoon but I'm on the E120.
sobo is offline  
Old 10-27-2016, 07:55 PM   #3354  
Line Holder
 
Gapilot's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2016
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobo View Post
I don't think any of our routes start in the afternoon but I'm on the E120.
Wondering are you an CA or FO on the E120? How many people do they have on the E120 for the PDX? I understand they have a good size pool for the FO right now. I am trying to figure if I should put a app in and see if it worth my time to get the FO spot because I know I might not get the PDX or BFI but wonder if it possible to commute out to the base they assigned to? Right now I am saving money up to get my CFI so that I can keep my flying skill up and help the next future pilots. How many hours do you put in for flying time a month? Thanks for taking the time to give us new Pilots information on the job
Gapilot is offline  
Old 10-28-2016, 08:31 AM   #3355  
Gets Weekends Off
 
sobo's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2016
Posts: 175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gapilot View Post
Wondering are you an CA or FO on the E120? How many people do they have on the E120 for the PDX? I understand they have a good size pool for the FO right now. I am trying to figure if I should put a app in and see if it worth my time to get the FO spot because I know I might not get the PDX or BFI but wonder if it possible to commute out to the base they assigned to? Right now I am saving money up to get my CFI so that I can keep my flying skill up and help the next future pilots. How many hours do you put in for flying time a month? Thanks for taking the time to give us new Pilots information on the job
FO.

We have two FO for the one E120 in PDX, it rounds out to about 20 hours flying a month which is awful.

BFI has two E120s, and they're trying to staff 3 FO's. Which is about 30 hours per month. You also have no income tax, so I highly suggest going for the BFI run. Because AMF does over 50% of their flying in one state you are bound to pay the income tax of your domicile, which for PDX is ALOT. My monthly income is $1990.50 after taxes.

Ameriflight is pretty much live where you are based and you will work M-F every week. If you are not flying you have show reserve which is 5 hours regardless if your plane is gone or not. Both BFI and PDX have ludicrous cost of living expenses. After basic monthly bills I have about $300 to my name, and I have no car payment or student loans.

It's not quite the dream job you'd expect it to be. You basically work to live and not much more. However, the CRM and two crew experience in the Brasilia I think will go a long way if you are trying for the airlines in the future. I really like flying the e120, it's a much different type of flying than in the GA world and it's a pretty good challenge to fly which I think is fun. I have about 60-70 hours in the type now.

As far as resume wise or the race to 1500 hours wise, there are better jobs to be had.
sobo is offline  
Old 11-01-2016, 03:59 PM   #3356  
Line Holder
 
higherclimb's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2009
Posts: 41
Default

Thanks sobo. Is there much captain movement on the E120 in PDX or are there life'rs there? 5 years ago, when I was on the Cheiftain, they had long term guys flying those routes. Either way, I'd be happy on the 99 for now.
higherclimb is offline  
Old 11-01-2016, 08:47 PM   #3357  
Line Holder
 
Gapilot's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2016
Posts: 50
Default

Thanks for answering a few questions. Can I pm you in the future to find out if they will have a spot open for the PDX FO in the future? I am trying to get myself in a position where I can jump over to the 135 for either this company or any company that will hire a person for the FO slot.

Thanks again
Gapilot is offline  
Old 11-02-2016, 12:18 PM   #3358  
Gets Weekends Off
 
sobo's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2016
Posts: 175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by higherclimb View Post
Thanks sobo. Is there much captain movement on the E120 in PDX or are there life'rs there? 5 years ago, when I was on the Cheiftain, they had long term guys flying those routes. Either way, I'd be happy on the 99 for now.
Not really any movement, the run just started. The Captain on the Brasilia is the second most senior guy in the company.

If you have the flight time, we are hiring street captains on the E120. Otherwise, turnover at this company is relatively high. 3-5 years duking it out in a 99, metro, or 1900 generally can get you into the left seat of a Brasilia if you're willing to move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gapilot View Post
Thanks for answering a few questions. Can I pm you in the future to find out if they will have a spot open for the PDX FO in the future? I am trying to get myself in a position where I can jump over to the 135 for either this company or any company that will hire a person for the FO slot.

Thanks again
Feel free.

Last edited by sobo; 11-02-2016 at 12:37 PM.
sobo is offline  
Old 11-02-2016, 12:31 PM   #3359  
Line Holder
 
higherclimb's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2009
Posts: 41
Default

Thank you!
higherclimb is offline  
Old 11-08-2016, 08:47 AM   #3360  
Banned
 
Joined APC: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,920
Default

"There have been a lot of questions about logging time as an Ameriflight second in command (SIC). Ameriflight has a exemption (9770D) that allows a pilot to log SIC time, this exemption is an exemption to FAR 61.51 (F) (2) which reads:

FAR 61.51 (F) (2)
(f) Logging second-in-command flight time. Aperson may log second-in-command time only for that flight time during which that person:
(1) Is qualified in accordance with the second-in-command requirements of 61.55 of this part, and occupies a crewmemberstation in an aircraft that requires more than one pilot by theaircraft's type certificate; or
(2) Holds the appropriate category, class, and instrumentrating(if an instrumentrating is required for the flight) for the aircraftbeing flown, and more than one pilot is required under the type certification of the aircraft or the regulations under which the flight is being conducted.

Exemption 9770D
There is one paragraph in the exemption that limits flight time logged as SIC. The time logged under this exemption cannot be used to gain an additional rating or certificate including the ATP. (see page two (2) paragraph one (1) under conditions and limitations of the exemption document attached). This exemption applies to all first officers at Ameriflight except those assigned to the EMB 120.

What does this mean?

If you as are assigned as a first officer in any Ameriflight aircraft except the EMB 120, the time you log is SIC time. It counts towards your total time but cannot be used for the hours required to gain an ATP certificate.
I hope this information clears up any questions regarding the subject, please fell free to send me a note if you have any further questions.

Thanks"

New hires, go in informed.
Jetlife is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ameriflight - Upgrade to t-prop? waflyboy Cargo 3 05-10-2020 02:48 PM
Ameriflight Travel Benefits question. Mrsmith42e Cargo 17 05-30-2010 07:12 PM
Ameriflight OAK runs? chazbird Part 135 10 07-01-2007 03:47 PM
Ameriflight Questions beech_nut Cargo 0 01-28-2006 11:55 AM
Ameriflight added to APC Freight Dog Cargo 0 11-17-2005 09:27 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:26 AM.