Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Old 10-19-2016, 02:01 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

Originally Posted by Hotspot View Post
Hello everyone, I just have a career question and I figured this would be the best place to ask it. I'm currently instructing to build time for my first job and I was really considering ameriflight but my concern is that most Majors want Jet PIC time. I like the idea of flying small turbo props for a while to gain experience but if I'm not going to be able to get a decent job after that flying bigger aircraft then what's the point? So I guess my question is would it be a good idea for my first job to be a part 135 carrier such as ameriflight or should I just go with the typical Regional Airlines? Thank you
If your goal is a major, your best bet after Ameriflight would be something like Allegiant or Atlas. There is an agreement with Allegiant which you are elligable for after 3 years of AMF and a few other requirements (ie training captain).

I'm sure Jetlife will be along any moment to persuade you to avoid AMF altogether.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:50 PM
I load my own boxes.

Joined APC: Oct 2016
Position: CRJ FO

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr View Post
Are you sure they say JET PIC time? I'll admit, I haven't been doing job searches for the majors lately but when I was they all wanted TURBINE PIC time. And a turboprop is a turbine aircraft. Just like a jet is.

As for "what's the point", as you said; you will gain experience you can't get at a regional. You'll get first hand experience flying single pilot, hard IFR to minimums instead of monitoring the autopilot as it takes you down the glideslope.

Now, I know there are a couple of guys who watch this thread that will likely chime in and say you should absolutely go to the regionals. That time in a 121 environment and learning to operate an FMS are way more important in getting hired and that getting that seniority established is the key. And they may be right about having that 121 and glass experience being important. (I'm not sure how important the seniority is if you are just going to go somewhere else anyway. When you move you start back at the bottom anyway.)

But you aren't going to get hired at a major at 2000 hours anyway, so why not do both? Get the hands on flying experience and the turbine PIC time, then go to the regionals and check off the 121 and automation boxes.

Thanks so much for the advice and input. I just assumed that when the majors say "turbine PIC time" they meant RJs so that was my mistake. Yes, my ultimate goal is the majors in 121 but I have nothing against 135 and would gladly fly cargo, but I just don't want something like Ameriflight to hold me back or make the transition to 121 majors and a more rewarding job more difficult. Like I said before though, I would take a job flying for ameriflight and I know I would enjoy every last second of it but on the other hand I would kind of like my path to the majors be as short as possible like anyone else. I guess in the end the only thing that matters is getting to wake up and fly airplanes all day and get paid for it.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:47 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2016

So just a heads up to all the FOs in the pool. I was placed in the pool end of June. Talked to the new hiring director. He said the pool is DEEP. Told me I was expecting about 6 more months in the pool. So thats around a 10 month wait. Just giving people a heads up if you need a job now.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:29 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2016
Position: Lineholder

Originally Posted by dribz View Post
So just a heads up to all the FOs in the pool. I was placed in the pool end of June. Talked to the new hiring director. He said the pool is DEEP. Told me I was expecting about 6 more months in the pool. So thats around a 10 month wait. Just giving people a heads up if you need a job now.
Thanks for the heads up. I was placed in the pool on 25 Jun. At 135 mins now and dropping a new application for a captain slot. I wonder if that means a new interview?
Old 10-20-2016, 07:32 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by cow0man View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I was placed in the pool on 25 Jun. At 135 mins now and dropping a new application for a captain slot. I wonder if that means a new interview?
Possibly. It also means you likely will get on sooner.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:25 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Having flown at Ameriflight and at an airline, I can tell you that there was remarkably little that I learned at Ameriflight that has benefited me in the airline world. I mean no offense to Ameriflight and it's pilots, but it is completely different.

It seems that Buff thinks that airline pilots do little more than monitor the autopilot on approaches while flight attendants bring us coffee, but that is far from the truth in my experience. Hand flying the MT Vernon visual in DCA, with a circle to 33, in an 80,000lb jet and landing it on a 5000' runway with passengers in the back is much more challenging than any of the flying that I did at AMF. Not to mention flying CatII approaches to minimums, and all of the other responsibilities of dealing with flying passengers.

I don't have bad feelings towards AMF, but it just isn't that big of a deal. If you have less than 1500 hours, and it is close to home, then go for it. Else, it is just a stepping stone.

I know that people talk about Ameriflight pilots going to the Majors, but it really doesn't happen. That is just their recruiting pitch.

There are literally thousands of regional pilots that have 5000+ hours of TPIC in jets in the airlines that are all applying at the majors. Many have previous tubroprop experience. You are not likely to jump past them to the majors because you have 1000 hours in a Beech 99.

Last edited by AboveAndBeyond; 10-22-2016 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:45 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Buff and Own Nav have no idea how the airlines operate, or any jet operators for that matter. But they will talk down about it all day so unassuming potential new hires will hopefully take the bait.

I will add, monitoring an autopilot down an approach to London while making 275k a year and working 9 days a month sounds so much worse than hand flying a clapped out hunk of antiquated junk to Midland Texas and topping out on the psyscale as a line pilot at 85k. Let's not get it twisted.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:43 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2011

Anybody know who to contact to acquire training and employment records...?
I sent an email to the generic HR address a few weeks back and so far crickets.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:21 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

There's Jetlife, a little later than I expected though, you must have had a busy week.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:57 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2016

Expect a lot of promises from the recruiters.