Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Old 10-12-2016, 01:27 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: executive gear swinger

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr View Post
When there are openings.

What do you mean by "movement on the Bro"? Again, it depends on when there are openings. Don't expect to come in as a Bro FO and move direct to the left seat. When you get to Part 135 mins (1200 TT) you will probably go to left seat of a BE99 then left seat of a BE1900 or SA227 then to the left seat of the Bro.

lemme try that again.
A better way to ask is when there is movement in the company between airframes, typically, if there is such a thing, what are the trends? Is movement on one aircraft faster than another? I see the logical pattern in your reply however what Im also curious about is lets say, if a pilot came on property flying the 1900, and if said pilot wanted to tradition to the 227 or bro, is this a common thing or do pilots tend to stay in their assigned airframe for a duration of time?

i hope this is clearer than muddy water lol
Old 10-13-2016, 06:07 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

Depends on the base. A base like San Juan or Cincinnatti will be more likely to have you dual qualified in 2 type rated planes, and Brasillia openings come more frequently. A lot of other bases (mine included), the Brasillia is very senior, and most type rated pilots are dual qualified with one type rating and the Be99.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:51 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by own nav View Post
Depends on the base. A base like San Juan or Cincinnatti will be more likely to have you dual qualified in 2 type rated planes, and Brasillia openings come more frequently. A lot of other bases (mine included), the Brasillia is very senior, and most type rated pilots are dual qualified with one type rating and the Be99.
cool thanks for the info. do you know anything about BUR or ONT?
Old 10-13-2016, 03:04 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

The internal bid had 2 99s (visalia, and san diego), 2 Metros (bur and santa maria).
Old 10-15-2016, 04:12 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

I'm not certain, but I think we are also putting a hold on hiring because of Peak coming up. Everyone (including the training dept) will be flying starting the week before thanksgiving and so I was told we won't have classes for November and December. After the class starting next week the next new hire class will likely be in January.
I have been told that I was misinformed. We ARE running new hire classes in November and December. So if you had thought about applying and decided to put it on hold because of my comment, go ahead and apply.

Guess that means I will be spending Christmas in San Antonio doing metro school. Which is fine. My wife says she has never gotten to see the Christmas River parade down along the River Walk.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:01 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: 747 Captain (Ret,)

Originally Posted by TimetoClimb View Post
Seems likely...I applied last week and not a peep yet. Nobody in recruiting is picking up or returning calls either. I guess I missed the boat on this one.
The recruiting department is in a scramble right now due to personnel issues. When they get their own problems sorted out, then they will get back to hiring pilots.

Joe
Old 10-15-2016, 08:10 AM
Gets Weekends Off

I have been told that I was misinformed. We ARE running new hire classes in November and December. So if you had thought about applying and decided to put it on hold because of my comment, go ahead and apply.

Guess that means I will be spending Christmas in San Antonio doing metro school. Which is fine. My wife says she has never gotten to see the Christmas River parade down along the River Walk.
well if things pan out the way i hope they do ill be seeing you in one of those classes
Old 10-16-2016, 03:15 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Motoxer66 View Post
well if things pan out the way i hope they do ill be seeing you in one of those classes
Sounds good. Send me a PM when you find out a date.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:35 PM
I load my own boxes.

Joined APC: Oct 2016
Position: CRJ FO

Hello everyone, I just have a career question and I figured this would be the best place to ask it. I'm currently instructing to build time for my first job and I was really considering ameriflight but my concern is that most Majors want Jet PIC time. I like the idea of flying small turbo props for a while to gain experience but if I'm not going to be able to get a decent job after that flying bigger aircraft then what's the point? So I guess my question is would it be a good idea for my first job to be a part 135 carrier such as ameriflight or should I just go with the typical Regional Airlines? Thank you
Old 10-19-2016, 01:57 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Hotspot View Post
Hello everyone, I just have a career question and I figured this would be the best place to ask it. I'm currently instructing to build time for my first job and I was really considering ameriflight but my concern is that most Majors want Jet PIC time. I like the idea of flying small turbo props for a while to gain experience but if I'm not going to be able to get a decent job after that flying bigger aircraft then what's the point? So I guess my question is would it be a good idea for my first job to be a part 135 carrier such as ameriflight or should I just go with the typical Regional Airlines? Thank you
Are you sure they say JET PIC time? I'll admit, I haven't been doing job searches for the majors lately but when I was they all wanted TURBINE PIC time. And a turboprop is a turbine aircraft. Just like a jet is.

As for "what's the point", as you said; you will gain experience you can't get at a regional. You'll get first hand experience flying single pilot, hard IFR to minimums instead of monitoring the autopilot as it takes you down the glideslope.

Now, I know there are a couple of guys who watch this thread that will likely chime in and say you should absolutely go to the regionals. That time in a 121 environment and learning to operate an FMS are way more important in getting hired and that getting that seniority established is the key. And they may be right about having that 121 and glass experience being important. (I'm not sure how important the seniority is if you are just going to go somewhere else anyway. When you move you start back at the bottom anyway.)

But you aren't going to get hired at a major at 2000 hours anyway, so why not do both? Get the hands on flying experience and the turbine PIC time, then go to the regionals and check off the 121 and automation boxes.