Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 10:37 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2012

Stay away from this place.... the training is very intense and not in a good way but a very bad way. If and when you complete your training you come out drained and worn out. All the stress isn't worth it because when you come out, if you pass it your only flying old crappy twins that look like they have seen better days. if you have low times good luck but if you have high times go somewhere else.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:20 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jun 2017

Originally Posted by pilotscott View Post
Stay away from this place.... the training is very intense and not in a good way but a very bad way. If and when you complete your training you come out drained and worn out. All the stress isn't worth it because when you come out, if you pass it your only flying old crappy twins that look like they have seen better days. if you have low times good luck but if you have high times go somewhere else.
I am not sure there was ever a training that wasn't 'intense'. If you complete training is up to the candidate, nothing more. Old crappy twins.. Freight... Old crappy twins, Freight..

You probably just described every single pilot freight operator.. Did you wash out of training? Single pilot cargo is not for everyone.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:27 PM
Standing in the breadline

Joined APC: Jun 2017
Position: Left seat

Anyone know if you join as a low time FO at 500 hours if you can later bracket into the accelerated Captain program on hitting 800 hours? What exactly is the difference in training and what the FO would do?
Old 07-19-2017, 09:20 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2015

Originally Posted by gatehold View Post
I am not sure there was ever a training that wasn't 'intense'. If you complete training is up to the candidate, nothing more. Old crappy twins.. Freight... Old crappy twins, Freight..

You probably just described every single pilot freight operator.. Did you wash out of training? Single pilot cargo is not for everyone.
Currently flying single pilot freight for a company with nowhere near the finances that Ameriflight has with planes 20 years older that look nicer than anything they have. Our training was also less stressful but just as effective. My instructor was ex Ameriflight with 2000 hours there in the 1900 and he couldn't even describe how crappy the training department is. Why does everyone there have to be such a d!ck is my question. Big egos and over complicated instruction have no place in a training environment this isn't TWA in its prime. Your flying a plane back and forth to basically the same place everyday it's not that complex so don't make it so.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:52 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2012

Originally Posted by PrettyFlyGuy View Post
Currently flying single pilot freight for a company with nowhere near the finances that Ameriflight has with planes 20 years older that look nicer than anything they have. Our training was also less stressful but just as effective. My instructor was ex Ameriflight with 2000 hours there in the 1900 and he couldn't even describe how crappy the training department is. Why does everyone there have to be such a d!ck is my question. Big egos and over complicated instruction have no place in a training environment this isn't TWA in its prime. Your flying a plane back and forth to basically the same place everyday it's not that complex so don't make it so.
Thank you.... that was the point I was trying to get at. I've done intense training in the past and this place makes you feel like you are flying for a legacy with garbage planes.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:49 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by PrettyFlyGuy View Post
Originally Posted by pilotscott View Post
Thank you.... that was the point I was trying to get at. I've done intense training in the past and this place makes you feel like you are flying for a legacy with garbage planes.
Question. How large is your fleet and how many pilots do you have?

I realize that right now we only have about 130 line pilots but we have had, and hope to have again in the future, over 200 line pilots. I would argue that the reason our training is so intense is that, with that many pilots, we have to have strict consistency across the fleet. And sometimes the only time someone flies with them is during their six month check. So we need to ensure they are flying the plane the way we want it flown instead of some way they decide themselves is better.

PrettyFlyGuy, if your instructor had 2000 hours IN the 1900 while he was here, I'm guessing he went through our training back around 2010 or so. I believe he would find a different culture if he were to go through today.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:44 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2014

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr View Post
PrettyFlyGuy, if your instructor had 2000 hours IN the 1900 while he was here, I'm guessing he went through our training back around 2010 or so. I believe he would find a different culture if he were to go through today.
Nope. Its still the same culture.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:51 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Granted I went through in 2011, but AMF graining was unnecessarily tough and intense. It sucks that it hasn’t changed, if was the worst trsining program I have experienced in my career before or since.

Culturally, AMF will never change. Gary Richards is still an influence on the day to day operations there, which is why anyone who comes in and tries to make a real change, gets canned or reassigned. It’s a bottom feeder outfit that hates pilots. Always has been, always will be.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:59 AM
Ameriflight

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Originally Posted by BlueJacketGuy View Post
Anyone know if you join as a low time FO at 500 hours if you can later bracket into the accelerated Captain program on hitting 800 hours? What exactly is the difference in training and what the FO would do?
Hi, there!

If you join as an EMB120 FO around 500 hours, you are still eligible for the Accelerated Captain Program when you get to the 800 hours.
The difference in the training: normal FOs are trained on the EMB120 and fly right seat in the EMB120 when they get out, ACP FOs are trained on the BE99 and fly right seat in the BE99 when they get out.

Hope that helps!
Old 07-20-2017, 11:54 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2015

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr View Post
Question. How large is your fleet and how many pilots do you have?

I realize that right now we only have about 130 line pilots but we have had, and hope to have again in the future, over 200 line pilots. I would argue that the reason our training is so intense is that, with that many pilots, we have to have strict consistency across the fleet. And sometimes the only time someone flies with them is during their six month check. So we need to ensure they are flying the plane the way we want it flown instead of some way they decide themselves is better.

You do realize about every airline and fractional out there has more pilots than Ameriflight and doesnt need to hold a shock collar on everyone to get them to fly properly. I believe we have 30 routes staffed plus a couple floaters and a few ACP's so 40 without checking the roster. We have guys from florida to colorado and we only get flown with every 6 months as well. Have yet to see a single person since I started. Consistency has nothing to do with intensity. Hell look at the Minnesota Vikings we train like hell every year but cant consistently catch a ball or run a play in sync until the 4th quarter when its to late. Its the quality of the training and proper quidance and explanation. If a pilot finds a way that is better, safer and more efficient i would hope you guys didnt beat out the last cell of common sense and hope for life during training that he would decide to fly the safer way and not just following your way blindly every time.
Whats interesting is we pay less than Ameriflight but fill every route within a week of the job posting. I had 4 other guys to compete against for my spot. That should say something as to what people think of the training. As I have been flying around doing charters I have discovered there are a ton of lifers in the night freight world who all seem to get paid less than Am flight so if they had a decent culture there are plenty of guys out there who they could poach that dig flying pieces of sh!t through the back side of thunderstorms all night. Or maybe the hiring department is only picking ding dongs who pencil whipped the 1200 hours and they have to be like that who knows. My father has 10000 hours between the metro and 1900 in the 80's so i hear all the time about his training which required all ndb approaches and he still had a more relaxed environment than here. Hell he had 3 engine failures, 1 fire and a stuck nose gear all in the metro. And flying a metro single engine is no cake walk. So he survived without being ridiculed through training. Now maybe your instructors never made it to the big leagues and have an ax to grind and fill there egos by t-bagging new hires in training so that could be it. Either way we aren't lifeflight medics or ER docs we are night freight pilots. So chill out and fly the damn plane and get off the high horse. Life is short so let your people enjoy their job. Not aimed at you specifically just alot of pent up anger at the industry as a whole.
My .02.