Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 08:44 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Originally Posted by KnotSee View Post
I heard that AMF has a flow thru agreement with UPS?
You heard wrong. There is not a flow though agreement with UPS.

If your goal is heavy freight, AMF isn’t going to give you any advantage. If you want to fly single pilot freight, go to AMF. AMF has an agreement with Omni but that company is an absolute dumpster fire to work for. You could get hired from AMF to Atlas, a few have done that but AMF isn’t giving you any advantage over a regional, probably less so in most cases.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:24 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2017

Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
You heard wrong. There is not a flow though agreement with UPS.

If your goal is heavy freight, AMF isn’t going to give you any advantage. If you want to fly single pilot freight, go to AMF. AMF has an agreement with Omni but that company is an absolute dumpster fire to work for. You could get hired from AMF to Atlas, a few have done that but AMF isn’t giving you any advantage over a regional, probably less so in most cases.
Irregardless of weather UPS has a flow thru, why wouldn't they want to hire AMF pilots that fly feeder runs for UPS? They already know UPS system and the ins and outs of how they work. Plus they know how to fly at night.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:30 AM
Banned

Irregardless of weather UPS has a flow thru, why wouldn't they want to hire AMF pilots that fly feeder runs for UPS? They already know UPS system and the ins and outs of how they work. Plus they know how to fly at night.
AMF pilots do not know the ins and outs of UPS or the system. They know they need to be at X airport at X time and to look for the brown truck, fly to another airport and give the boxes to another brown truck, that’s it. And most of the runs are not flown at night.

There are hundreds if not thousands of 121 jet crews with lots of experience, lots of heavy time, lots of international time applying to big brown and big purple. The flying AMF does is just slightly more relevant to what UPS does than flight instructing.

Flying a 1900 from one podunk airport to a slightly less podunk airport by yourself doesn’t really prepare you for flying a 747 to Frankfurt.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:24 AM
Line Holder

AMF pilots do not know the ins and outs of UPS or the system. They know they need to be at X airport at X time and to look for the brown truck, fly to another airport and give the boxes to another brown truck, that’s it. And most of the runs are not flown at night.

There are hundreds if not thousands of 121 jet crews with lots of experience, lots of heavy time, lots of international time applying to big brown and big purple. The flying AMF does is just slightly more relevant to what UPS does than flight instructing.

Flying a 1900 from one podunk airport to a slightly less podunk airport by yourself doesn’t really prepare you for flying a 747 to Frankfurt.
UPS doesn't fly into Frankfurt. Night flying is night flying. I'd say someone with night experience would be preferred by UPS. And AMF pilots would get to know how UPS works just by being exposed to them. Plus, you'd get to hobknob with there pilots during the sort and maybe get one to write you a rec.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:37 AM
Banned

UPS doesn't fly into Frankfurt. Night flying is night flying. I'd say someone with night experience would be preferred by UPS. And AMF pilots would get to know how UPS works just by being exposed to them. Plus, you'd get to hobknob with there pilots during the sort and maybe get one to write you a rec.
Cologne, same crap different toilet .

Look it’s not me you have to convince. UPS hasn’t hired anyone directly from AMF in over a decade, and that was literally 1 person and we don’t know the qualifications of that pilot prior to AMF. My buddy who was and AMF new hire with me, who’s dad is a captain at UPS had to go to Frontier before UPS would hire him and it took 6 years.

Saying that UPS should love AMF and hire them is great, but flying at night at AMF is just a little bit different than flying augmented crews through 11 time zones in a heavy multi crew jet, it always will be. Does that mean it’s hard to do? No. Does it mean somebody can’t go from a 1900 to a heavy jet and learn it all? No.

One thing AMF cannot address is the gap from flying 135 single pilot cargo, to the rest of the industry. Turboprops are going away, And there are tons of ways to go get jet time. Look at the metrics of who UPS hires right now and see where AMF stacks, I’ll give you a hint, it’s zero.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:10 AM
Line Holder

Cologne, same crap different toilet .

Look it’s not me you have to convince. UPS hasn’t hired anyone directly from AMF in over a decade, and that was literally 1 person and we don’t know the qualifications of that pilot prior to AMF. My buddy who was and AMF new hire with me, who’s dad is a captain at UPS had to go to Frontier before UPS would hire him and it took 6 years.

Saying that UPS should love AMF and hire them is great, but flying at night at AMF is just a little bit different than flying augmented crews through 11 time zones in a heavy multi crew jet, it always will be. Does that mean it’s hard to do? No. Does it mean somebody can’t go from a 1900 to a heavy jet and learn it all? No.

One thing AMF cannot address is the gap from flying 135 single pilot cargo, to the rest of the industry. Turboprops are going away, And there are tons of ways to go get jet time. Look at the metrics of who UPS hires right now and see where AMF stacks, I’ll give you a hint, it’s zero.
Your posting history is very negative against AMF. You must of been fired or washed out of training to be so negative.

I'd think that single pilot in a twin is way harder than monitoring the autopilot on a 747 as you drone across the ocean. BWDIK?

There are AMF management on this forum and they hint of another type of flow to UPS that is being negotiated as we speak.

If I could get a flow to UPS, I'd leave my regional and go to AMF.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:54 PM
Banned

Your posting history is very negative against AMF. You must of been fired or washed out of training to be so negative.

I'd think that single pilot in a twin is way harder than monitoring the autopilot on a 747 as you drone across the ocean. BWDIK?

There are AMF management on this forum and they hint of another type of flow to UPS that is being negotiated as we speak.

If I could get a flow to UPS, I'd leave my regional and go to AMF.
Very much did not wash out. I was a training captain as well but nice try junior. Sorry you take reality as negative, but that’s what it is, reality. It’s not about what’s harder, or because you fly brown boxes. It’s about what UPS management sees as the most competitive in a very rich hiring environment.

Again, hopes and dreams are great, and AMF used to love push fluff to the pilots, but it’s very easy to look at facts and current hiring. If UPS starts a flow agreement that will be great, but if you think it will be lucrative enough for anyone to take advantage, I would tell you to think again. Just look at the current agreement. UPS picks just a few interns a year, you THEN have to be selected for the program with AMF, go though training, then check all the boxes of both programs.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:00 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by pilotlyfe View Post
Does Ameriflight pay for your ATP-CTP when you meet ATP requirements?
Originally Posted by SIUav8er View Post
Why would they? An ATP is not required to fly for Ameriflight
Actually, there is a hiring bonus program which does include the ATP training. Ask a recruiter about it. I don't now the specifics.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:22 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2016

Single Pilot freight flying without a autopilot in twin Cessnas OR a Turboprop is one of the most challenging type of environments a pilot can fly in. It rates up there with NVG flying or vertical reference in a helicopter in my personal opinion. I found that once I moved into Jets with autopilots and flight guidance systems, I thought that my background of single
Pilot 135/freight made flying a Jet with an autopilot seem relatively easy. I am not sure why UPS/ FEDEX hiring departments do not value that experience, but they should. The 121 carrier I work at did value it on my application many years ago.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by collegedropout9 View Post
Single Pilot freight flying without a autopilot in twin Cessnas OR a Turboprop is one of the most challenging type of environments a pilot can fly in. It rates up there with NVG flying or vertical reference in a helicopter in my personal opinion. I found that once I moved into Jets with autopilots and flight guidance systems, I thought that my background of single
Pilot 135/freight made flying a Jet with an autopilot seem relatively easy. I am not sure why UPS/ FEDEX hiring departments do not value that experience, but they should. The 121 carrier I work at did value it on my application many years ago.
I don’t think anyone would argue they single pilot freight is the most challenging type of flying you can do professionally. It made me a really good pilot, that is for sure. Don’t get UPS confised with flying flying freight in a Metro. Having your first jet be a heavy 76/77/74/A300 is a big jump and they have probably found it easier to hire those with considerable jet experience for that reason. If you’ve never done real international, never flown a jet, never trained and flown in a real multi crew environment, never flown ETOPS etc it can be totally overwhelming to have to put that all together by the time IOE comes around.

As always, when the well runs dry of their ideal candidate, they will have to readjust their thinking. That’s how the rest of the industry has adjusted and will continue to adjust.