Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 06:16 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2017

Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
I don’t think anyone would argue they single pilot freight is the most challenging type of flying you can do professionally. It made me a really good pilot, that is for sure. Don’t get UPS confised with flying flying freight in a Metro. Having your first jet be a heavy 76/77/74/A300 is a big jump and they have probably found it easier to hire those with considerable jet experience for that reason. If you’ve never done real international, never flown a jet, never trained and flown in a real multi crew environment, never flown ETOPS etc it can be totally overwhelming to have to put that all together by the time IOE comes around.

As always, when the well runs dry of their ideal candidate, they will have to readjust their thinking. That’s how the rest of the industry has adjusted and will continue to adjust.
I've done research on this subject while at Riddle. UPS did endeed fly the Metro, witch they called the Expediter. In fact AMF flies them to this day. You can tell as they have UP as there reg. suffix.

But, UPS used a copilot with them, not single pilot like AMF.

Heavy pilots that I've talked to have said that heavies are easier to fly than smaller jets as they are least bothered by winds and gusts and less sensative on the controls.

I've taken ETOPS and CRM classes at Riddle and i'm familiar with how it operates.

Don't put all us young pilots in the same category. Some of us have the proper background and degree to make us competent and professional heavy jet pilots.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:58 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Originally Posted by KnotSee View Post
I've done research on this subject while at Riddle. UPS did endeed fly the Metro, witch they called the Expediter. In fact AMF flies them to this day. You can tell as they have UP as there reg. suffix.

But, UPS used a copilot with them, not single pilot like AMF.

Heavy pilots that I've talked to have said that heavies are easier to fly than smaller jets as they are least bothered by winds and gusts and less sensative on the controls.

I've taken ETOPS and CRM classes at Riddle and i'm familiar with how it operates.

Don't put all us young pilots in the same category. Some of us have the proper background and degree to make us competent and professional heavy jet pilots.
Settle down dude, glad Riddle taught you everything you think you need to know, but it lacks one big thing, EXPERIENCE. UPS wants experience, Delta wants experience. And they want closely relatable experience. I fly the Airbus and it’s light years easier than anything I flew at AMF as far as workload is concerned, but there are different considerations. Everything is different. Does it mean that you couldn’t fly one tomorrow? Absolutely not! But again just be realistic, hand flying an ILS in a /A clapped out Metro gets you locker room high fives and respect. It will get you lots of jobs too but why on earth would they choose somebody flying a B1900 over somebody flying a 767 for Atlas or somewhere else?
Old 09-11-2017, 07:19 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2017

Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
Settle down dude, glad Riddle taught you everything you think you need to know, but it lacks one big thing, EXPERIENCE. UPS wants experience, Delta wants experience. And they want closely relatable experience. I fly the Airbus and it’s light years easier than anything I flew at AMF as far as workload is concerned, but there are different considerations. Everything is different. Does it mean that you couldn’t fly one tomorrow? Absolutely not! But again just be realistic, hand flying an ILS in a /A clapped out Metro gets you locker room high fives and respect. It will get you lots of jobs too but why on earth would they choose somebody flying a B1900 over somebody flying a 767 for Atlas or somewhere else?
Funny you mention UPS wanting experiance. The "flow thru" with AMF and UPS will take interns with just Comm/Inst/Multi and maybe a CFI and send them to AMF to fly for a predetermined period of hours in a "clapped out" Metro or other AMF plane and THEN flow directly to UPS.

Apparently, experiance is not too important for the intern flow thrus to go directly to UPS.

Studies have shown that structured training (like Riddle) will make up for lack of experiance.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:24 AM
Banned

Funny you mention UPS wanting experiance. The "flow thru" with AMF and UPS will take interns with just Comm/Inst/Multi and maybe a CFI and send them to AMF to fly for a predetermined period of hours in a "clapped out" Metro or other AMF plane and THEN flow directly to UPS.

Apparently, experiance is not too important for the intern flow thrus to go directly to UPS.

Studies have shown that structured training (like Riddle) will make up for lack of experiance.
Yea how many interns are going through the program? Do you know? Cause I do. 2... 2 interns are testing this program and it’s gonna take them years, if ever to be on UPS property getting a paycheck from UPS, flyin brown boxes.

You are the Riddle Rat that gives ERAU a bad name, and I have a degree from there. You don’t know everything because you went to Riddle, quit acting like it. Typing what you assume and hope companies like UPS will do on a forum isn’t gonna make it so, despite what your ERAU professors told you.

Oh and you say “studies show,” I would like you to link me one study that proves your statement.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:41 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

I heard that AMF has a flow thru agreement with UPS?
More like UPS has an internship program that utilizes AMF. Ie, if you are interested, work out the details with the UPS program before coming to AMF.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:47 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2014

Irregardless of weather UPS has a flow thru, why wouldn't they want to hire AMF pilots that fly feeder runs for UPS? They already know UPS system and the ins and outs of how they work. Plus they know how to fly at night.
Hahaha, best post ever. Never flown a jet, never flown glass, no CRM experience, no 121 experience. No problem, I know how to fly at night.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:39 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2017
Position: smoke and spider season

Meanwhile in outer space...

What is the forecast for EMB 120 FO hiring this peak season?
Old 09-11-2017, 09:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cefiro View Post
Hahaha, best post ever. Never flown a jet, never flown glass, no CRM experience, no 121 experience. No problem, I know how to fly at night.
ERAU taught him everything he needs to know. Just waiting for UPS to call...
Old 09-11-2017, 10:09 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by PetRock View Post
Meanwhile in outer space...

What is the forecast for EMB 120 FO hiring this peak season?
I don't know the numbers. But we are acquiring another E120. Even after losing a 120 run out of CVG to a Southern 737.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:39 AM
Ameriflight

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Originally Posted by BlueJacketGuy View Post
Any source on the phases/hours that the interns need through AMF, I've still only seen the press announcement with no resl requirements.
Hi!

Here are the hours you'd get here before going there:
"A type-rated pilot for Ameriflight with an additional 1,500 hours Turbine PIC for AMF, with preferably at least 500 of those PIC hours in the EMB120 aircraft or other crew type certificated aircraft."
There are other requirements aside from the hour requirements like being in good standing with both companies, being ATP qualified, etc.

Hope that helps!