Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 12:42 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
Granted I went through in 2011, but AMF graining was unnecessarily tough and intense. It sucks that it hasn’t changed, if was the worst trsining program I have experienced in my career before or since.

Culturally, AMF will never change. Gary Richards is still an influence on the day to day operations there, which is why anyone who comes in and tries to make a real change, gets canned or reassigned. It’s a bottom feeder outfit that hates pilots. Always has been, always will be.

If you are still basing your evaluation of AMF on Richards ideas, you are SO mistaken. With all the stuff we have done over the past few years, if Richards were still running we would have shut down by now.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:11 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr View Post
If you are still basing your evaluation of AMF on Richards ideas, you are SO mistaken. With all the stuff we have done over the past few years, if Richards were still running we would have shut down by now.
Sounds like you are close. Half the planes in ABQ are parked, SLC losing runs. The runs you do have, you can't staff. Doing the same thing for 30 years and expecting a different result isn't going to cut it anymore.

Just because classes and classes of new recruits are coming through the "training" department doesn't mean business is booming.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:34 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2016

Originally Posted by pilotscott View Post
Stay away from this place.... the training is very intense and not in a good way but a very bad way. If and when you complete your training you come out drained and worn out. All the stress isn't worth it because when you come out, if you pass it your only flying old crappy twins that look like they have seen better days. if you have low times good luck but if you have high times go somewhere else.

Originally Posted by PrettyFlyGuy View Post
As I have been flying around doing charters I have discovered there are a ton of lifers in the night freight world who all seem to get paid less than Am flight so if they had a decent culture there are plenty of guys out there who they could poach that dig flying pieces of sh!t through the back side of thunderstorms all night. Or maybe the hiring department is only picking ding dongs who pencil whipped the 1200 hours and they have to be like that who knows. My father has 10000 hours between the metro and 1900 in the 80's so i hear all the time about his training which required all ndb approaches and he still had a more relaxed environment than here. Hell he had 3 engine failures, 1 fire and a stuck nose gear all in the metro. And flying a metro single engine is no cake walk. So he survived without being ridiculed through training. Now maybe your instructors never made it to the big leagues and have an ax to grind and fill there egos by t-bagging new hires in training so that could be it.

I've been lurking on this thread for a while now, but figured I'd nose in here at this point. Been with Ameriflight since late last year.

My personal experience with Ameriflight's [Metro] training department has been positive. Their instructors are very competent, passionate, and expect everyone to be able to succeed in the training. But there is a standard, and if you are unwilling or unable to study after class, identify your weak areas yourself, you won't hold up when it comes time for the checkride. In my class, we had one guy quit the day before his checkride and we had another guy require some extra training and eventually get reassigned off the metro.

Frankly, I see these moves as positive. They expect you to know your sh*t. If you don't, sooner or later it becomes obvious.

Are their planes old? Yup. Do they break sometimes? Yup. You will be expected to know them well enough to handle an engine fire, run the appropriate checklists, talk to approach control while bringing her around in low vis conditions to circle to land on a different runway (on the centerline). ALL while solo. You will do exactly this in training... and more.

I'll say Ameriflight isn't a good fit for everyone. Not everyone is cut out to fly solo at night 'up the back side of thunderstorms' as you put it. I'd rather they weed those guys out in training than on the line. Those that are able to make it through the training can enjoy a better than average salary (as you mention) and maybe someday a flow thru to UPS, who knows.

But do they ridicule you in training or demean you in any way? I've never heard of that happening, and frankly, quite the opposite. They want you to succeed. I've seen them bend over backwards to get a pilot more training. Just my experience.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:54 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2017
Position: Metro/227/ PIC

Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
AMF does not really rely on the seniority system to much like the airlines do. Most peope who get hired in to a base will stay there for the duration. For instance I was hired into SLC for the 99, then after a while they upgraded me to the Metro within that base. Now if a position had continually gone unfulfilled, then they would offer it system wide. In that way it benefits you to stay in base.

If you're looking to get hired on then transfer to a prefered base. That will prove to be harder.
Things have changed as they now show an open list every few weeks and bids are done every quarter. Been there 4 years and have moved 3 times & upgraded twice. I could have went to Omni, but have decided to stay a while longer.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:05 PM
New Hire

Originally Posted by Paul Plano View Post
I've been lurking on this thread for a while now, but figured I'd nose in here at this point. Been with Ameriflight since late last year.

My personal experience with Ameriflight's [Metro] training department has been positive. Their instructors are very competent, passionate, and expect everyone to be able to succeed in the training. But there is a standard, and if you are unwilling or unable to study after class, identify your weak areas yourself, you won't hold up when it comes time for the checkride. In my class, we had one guy quit the day before his checkride and we had another guy require some extra training and eventually get reassigned off the metro.

Frankly, I see these moves as positive. They expect you to know your sh*t. If you don't, sooner or later it becomes obvious.

Are their planes old? Yup. Do they break sometimes? Yup. You will be expected to know them well enough to handle an engine fire, run the appropriate checklists, talk to approach control while bringing her around in low vis conditions to circle to land on a different runway (on the centerline). ALL while solo. You will do exactly this in training... and more.

I'll say Ameriflight isn't a good fit for everyone. Not everyone is cut out to fly solo at night 'up the back side of thunderstorms' as you put it. I'd rather they weed those guys out in training than on the line. Those that are able to make it through the training can enjoy a better than average salary (as you mention) and maybe someday a flow thru to UPS, who knows.

But do they ridicule you in training or demean you in any way? I've never heard of that happening, and frankly, quite the opposite. They want you to succeed. I've seen them bend over backwards to get a pilot more training. Just my experience.
I agree Paul. I'm a better pilot due to the training I received & experience I've gained at AMF. Pilotscott, It's very obvious you washed out & can't except responsibility for your failure. If you're half the pilot you think you are, you'll take a good look in the mirror, adjust your attitude and learn from it.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:15 PM
New Hire

Granted I went through in 2011, but AMF graining was unnecessarily tough and intense. It sucks that it hasn’t changed, if was the worst trsining program I have experienced in my career before or since.

Culturally, AMF will never change. Gary Richards is still an influence on the day to day operations there, which is why anyone who comes in and tries to make a real change, gets canned or reassigned. It’s a bottom feeder outfit that hates pilots. Always has been, always will be.
Gary Richards? It's obvious you have no idea what you're talking about.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ah64 View Post
Gary Richards? It's obvious you have no idea what you're talking about.
Yea, he still consults to the board of directors, but you're right.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ah64 View Post
Things have changed as they now show an open list every few weeks and bids are done every quarter. Been there 4 years and have moved 3 times & upgraded twice. I could have went to Omni, but have decided to stay a while longer.
You have been at AMF for 4 years? Do you hate your career?
Old 07-26-2017, 08:32 AM
Line Holder

You have been at AMF for 4 years? Do you hate your career?
Maybe he's waiting on the UPS flow thru? It would be stupid of him to quit now when he's so close to flowing.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bockrain View Post
maybe he's waiting on the ups flow thru? It would be stupid of him to quit now when he's so close to flowing.
there is no flow!!!!!!!!!!