Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 04:06 PM
I load my own boxes.

Joined APC: Oct 2016
Position: CRJ FO

Originally Posted by sobo View Post
Feel free to send me a private message if you want any information about Ameriflight.

I'm just finishing up my time with the company after almost a year of flying the line as a E120 first officer. If you have questions regarding that program, the quality of life, or other general questions - feel free to reach out.

Captain stuff, schedule stuff, etc - Best to ask elsewhere.

Hello, i am about to become a CFI at Spartan College and begin building valuable time for the regionals. I want to instruct but i dont wanna do it for more than absolutely necessary, so i was considering flight instructing up to the FO time mins (500tt + 500pic) for AMF then applying. My question is: would it be worth it? Or should i just stay at Spartan and flight instruct to build up to the R-ATP mins to go straight into the regionals? I really like the idea of flying for AMF for the crew enviornment and the turbine experience, however I dont really understand if the SIC time is less valuable the the PIC time i would get if i just flight instruct for a longer time period.

Thank you for your time.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:17 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2014

Originally Posted by Hotspot View Post
Hello, i am about to become a CFI at Spartan College and begin building valuable time for the regionals. I want to instruct but i dont wanna do it for more than absolutely necessary, so i was considering flight instructing up to the FO time mins (500tt + 500pic) for AMF then applying. My question is: would it be worth it? Or should i just stay at Spartan and flight instruct to build up to the R-ATP mins to go straight into the regionals? I really like the idea of flying for AMF for the crew enviornment and the turbine experience, however I dont really understand if the SIC time is less valuable the the PIC time i would get if i just flight instruct for a longer time period.

Thank you for your time.
TPIC is the most valuable. Most majors won't look at you hard until you get a 1000 hours of TPIC. Go to the job that will let you fly TPIC the fastest. And today I would think AMF but in 6 months who knows.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:51 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Originally Posted by aa010175 View Post
TPIC is the most valuable. Most majors won't look at you hard until you get a 1000 hours of TPIC. Go to the job that will let you fly TPIC the fastest. And today I would think AMF but in 6 months who knows.
This is largely incorrect. Don't go to AMF because you think its gonna get you to a major faster. 121 SIC has been proven to be more valuable in getting hired than 135 turboprop PIC. I can't tell you the countless people I know from AMF (I am former AMF) that thought SWA was gonna swoop them up from AMF, that are now at regionals.

I literally know 2 people that were fired from AMF unjustly, went to regionals, and are now at SWA, and they did that quicker than anyone I know that stayed at AMF. Not to start a debate on whether or not to go to a regional or AMF, but the reality is a bit different than AMF sells it.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:50 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2017
Position: 175 CA

Any idea on another way to get into ameriflight? Called the recruiter yesterday and no more ACP slots until August, maybe july. I've already passed all my interviews and everything. 740 hours for what it's worth
Old 05-13-2017, 12:36 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by Auburn17Pilot View Post
Any idea on another way to get into ameriflight? Called the recruiter yesterday and no more ACP slots until August, maybe july. I've already passed all my interviews and everything. 740 hours for what it's worth
VFR captain or SIC?
Old 05-13-2017, 12:39 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2017
Position: 175 CA

Originally Posted by FlightLife View Post
VFR captain or SIC?

I think all the ACP stuff is SIC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2017, 12:41 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2014

Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
This is largely incorrect. Don't go to AMF because you think its gonna get you to a major faster. 121 SIC has been proven to be more valuable in getting hired than 135 turboprop PIC. I can't tell you the countless people I know from AMF (I am former AMF) that thought SWA was gonna swoop them up from AMF, that are now at regionals.

I literally know 2 people that were fired from AMF unjustly, went to regionals, and are now at SWA, and they did that quicker than anyone I know that stayed at AMF. Not to start a debate on whether or not to go to a regional or AMF, but the reality is a bit different than AMF sells it.
My information might be 4 years old and no longer valid. But I can't count how many Eagle FOs that were in my Jumpseat and could not find a job away from Eagle because they had little or no PIC time. They had 3000 hours of 121 SIC time and no Major would evan look at them they said. So go to Envoy and do the flow thru or to a place where you can log PIC or TPIC. You can always go 121 after you get 1000 PIC.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:54 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by Auburn17Pilot View Post
I think all the ACP stuff is SIC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, I mean you could try applying as a VFR captain (750 hr min).
Old 05-13-2017, 03:54 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Originally Posted by aa010175 View Post
My information might be 4 years old and no longer valid. But I can't count how many Eagle FOs that were in my Jumpseat and could not find a job away from Eagle because they had little or no PIC time. They had 3000 hours of 121 SIC time and no Major would evan look at them they said. So go to Envoy and do the flow thru or to a place where you can log PIC or TPIC. You can always go 121 after you get 1000 PIC.
3,000 isn't competitive anywhere, you can't even get hired at Frontier with 3,000. 1,000 TPIC is a requirement at like 2 airlines, everyone else has it listed as preferred or not at all. There are many many many other factors at getting hired, and having 1,000TPIC isn't even close to being a singular guarantee. I know several ex-AMF that were management, have several thousand hours PIC and multiple types and they had to go to a regional.

Hourly requirements on a resume are a small subset to getting hired.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:53 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Sep 2015
Position: C90, FO

What is a typical schedule like for a ACP-FO, Restricted Captain, non-Restricted Captain?