Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 09:30 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by lraber33 View Post
Pilot with approx. 4000 total time most of which is PIC, 1200 PIC in a 208, ATP multi rating but very little multi time (approx. 60). What A/C would they be a candidate for? Hoping for the EMB120 as PIC however the 1900 would be great too.
Your total time is great, but only 60 hours multi is too low for a 120 PIC. It might even be a bit low for the 1900. I would think the most likely path would be to start in the BE99, get a couple hundred hours multi time (4-6 months) then bid to the 1900. After 6 months to a year there (maybe sooner, depending on need and your performance) you would be in a position to bid into the 120.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:09 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2014

People are complaining the training is too intense? Single pilot 135 in a turbine with no autopilot is the most difficult flying you'll ever do. It should be intense! As a 121 captain, my job is way easier than when I flew 135 (not ameriflight, but same type of flying).
Old 07-30-2017, 10:47 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Originally Posted by Cefiro View Post
People are complaining the training is too intense? Single pilot 135 in a turbine with no autopilot is the most difficult flying you'll ever do. It should be intense! As a 121 captain, my job is way easier than when I flew 135 (not ameriflight, but same type of flying).
All training programs are intense, but AMF used to have a very small training window. If you didn’t fit within that window, you were booted. If anything, the training at AMF needs to be longer than a 121 initial, which it isn’t, even today it isn’t.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:30 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
All training programs are intense, but AMF used to have a very small training window. If you didn’t fit within that window, you were booted. If anything, the training at AMF needs to be longer than a 121 initial, which it isn’t, even today it isn’t.
How long do you think it should be?

I've known metro trainees that have done indoc (1 week), aircraft ground (one week), Sims (4 - 6 sims), 3 weeks of online training and then couldn't pass a check ride. And one particular was a pilot who (at least according to his log book) had over 10,000 hours.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:35 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr View Post
How long do you think it should be?

I've known metro trainees that have done indoc (1 week), aircraft ground (one week), Sims (4 - 6 sims), 3 weeks of online training and then couldn't pass a check ride. And one particular was a pilot who (at least according to his log book) had over 10,000 hours.
3 weeks of online training means nothing. 6 sims? That’s what I had for the Airbus which is way easier to fly and I had a crew member. 1 week of systems, 6 MFTD seasons, 6 sims with 2 prep sims. And that’s to fly an airplane that flies it’s self. Only a few people will fit into the mold that AMF expects, which is why the washout rate is so high. Take an antiquated airplane meant for 2 people, then make it so you have to learn a bunch of irrelevant, mundane systems knowledge, tack on complex flows and memory items, and compress it to a timeframe that’s shorter than modern aircraft. It defies common logic. But that’s the AMF way, and that’s how it’s always been done so why change it.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:04 AM
Ameriflight

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Originally Posted by gatehold View Post
Can someone let me know the current hiring profile from initial call to interview. e.g., got a call, phone interview, sim check, offer.

Thanks
Hi, there!

Here's the typical break down:
Pilot fills out our quick application (asks for basic info and times).
If you meet our mins, a recruiter will send you the longer application (goes in depth - like your work history, etc).
Once you fill that out, the recruiter will be alerted and will review it and call you. They'll go over your times, discuss your desires (where you want to be located, what aircraft, when you'll be available for training, etc.), and ask you some general HR questions. If you are good to go from there, they'll send you a link to a video interview called RIVs where you'll answer six flying-related questions. They'll be alerted when you submit it and will review your answers.
They will then give you a call and either offer you a position, ask you a few more questions, or tell you what they need from you.

The whole process can take as little as one day depending on how busy you are.

Hope that helps! Feel free to ask any other questions you have!
Old 08-01-2017, 11:20 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2016

Do you anticipate any hiring for the EMB120 SIC anytime soon? thanks!
Old 08-01-2017, 12:54 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

Originally Posted by yvpilot317 View Post
Do you anticipate any hiring for the EMB120 SIC anytime soon? thanks!
There are 2 new E120 runs in ONT and GPI, captain bids just came out. Call recruiting to see if they have filled the FO spots.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:55 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2017

Originally Posted by FreightDogs View Post
Hi, there!

Here's the typical break down:
Pilot fills out our quick application (asks for basic info and times).
If you meet our mins, a recruiter will send you the longer application (goes in depth - like your work history, etc).
Once you fill that out, the recruiter will be alerted and will review it and call you. They'll go over your times, discuss your desires (where you want to be located, what aircraft, when you'll be available for training, etc.), and ask you some general HR questions. If you are good to go from there, they'll send you a link to a video interview called RIVs where you'll answer six flying-related questions. They'll be alerted when you submit it and will review your answers.
They will then give you a call and either offer you a position, ask you a few more questions, or tell you what they need from you.

The whole process can take as little as one day depending on how busy you are.

Hope that helps! Feel free to ask any other questions you have!
How long after the RIV does it take to hear back?
Old 08-07-2017, 06:46 AM
Ameriflight

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Originally Posted by lraber33 View Post
How long after the RIV does it take to hear back?
Typically, the day of or the day after depending on when you submit it.
If you don't hear something back relatively soon, feel free to ping your recruiter or even me. I can have them look it up and check you out!