Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 09:14 AM
In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

Originally Posted by FreightDogs View Post
We'll be having a January class! Hoping to have you in it.
In the mean time, let us know if you have any questions about joining!
That would be perfect! When would be the best time to apply for that? I'm at just over 700hrs now and flying Part 135 VFR every day, so I'm about a month away from the mins. Do you take applications with "projected" hours?
Old 08-31-2017, 09:22 AM
Ameriflight

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Originally Posted by pilotlyfe View Post
FreightDogs,

Thank you for taking the time to help people with their questions. I am just wondering, how difficult is it for a person to get hired as a BE1900 captain with 135 IFR PIC mins, previous Alaska BE1900 SIC experience and little PIC time? Are the chances pretty low? I am also wondering, what's a day in the life of a pilot? Do you help load and unload?

Again, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

pilotlyfe
Hi, pilotlyfe!

Here are the times we look at for competitive 1900 Captains:
  • 1,800 TT, 250 ME, 500 XC (defined as point to point), 100 night, 1,000 PIC, 100 instrument, 100 Turbine, 121 or 135 experience
If you are right at 135 mins, you'd be looking at a PA-31 or BE99.
Transition from there is relatively easy as you quickly gain the types of hours needed for the 1900.

A day in the life: Typically, the schedule is Monday through Friday, morning to evening. You'll leave out early morning, fly your legs, sit a bit in the middle of the day, and fly your legs home. Sleep at home each night.

Our pilots average 60 hours per month. The number of hours you fly per month is based on location and aircraft.

Loading and unloading. Great question. If you are flying a FedEx route, you will not need to do any loading or unloading. They will not let you. As for UPS and DHL, you likely will. You won't have to do the whole thing as there will be a driver there to do it. But assistance might be needed. We are working hard with our customers to make it to where our pilots do not have to load or unload at all. Nothing set in stone yet, but our ultimate goal is that you will not have to help.

Hope that helps!
Old 08-31-2017, 09:47 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2012

Originally Posted by dera View Post
That would be perfect! When would be the best time to apply for that? I'm at just over 700hrs now and flying Part 135 VFR every day, so I'm about a month away from the mins. Do you take applications with "projected" hours?

Do you need a classmate?🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 08-31-2017, 01:09 PM
Ameriflight

Originally Posted by Westfalia View Post
FreightDogs, thank you for all your help in this thread. I have submitted an application after learning from you about the current hiring.

This may have been answered already in the previous 300 pages, but is there anything in particular(regs/procedures) I should be reviewing before starting the interview process?

Definitely appreciate any and all guidance here.
Hi, Westfalia!

I'm happy to hear you've applied and that I've been of help!
Nothing in particular. The first part of the interview is all about you and your experiences (your times, what you've been doing, your currency, etc). The second part is a video interview where you answer six questions (including one where you brief an approach plate). This second part is more related to flying and what you would do in certain situations.

We mainly want to know that you know how to fly, that you are safe, and where you are at time wise. We have training to teach you aircraft specific stuff and how Ameriflight flies!

If you do get hired, you'll receive study material ahead of time to be prepared for training.

Hope that helps!

(Just responded to a private message from you, as well.)
Old 08-31-2017, 01:13 PM
Ameriflight

At over 700 TT, you can apply now!
We don't really take projected hour applications, but there should be a spot in the application to make notes and that's where you can put your projections and more importantly that you are flying a certain number of hours per month consistently.

Since you are over 700, we'll probably be able to at least start a conversation with you. At the very least, we'll get you in our system where we can view you at anytime as a viable candidate (and you can make updates to your times/application from there, too). We are planning on putting four more ACPs in the October class, so maybe you can make it for that!
Old 08-31-2017, 03:05 PM
In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

Originally Posted by Javichu View Post
Do you need a classmate?🤣

Sure, you game for a January class?
(assuming we get the job of course...)
Old 08-31-2017, 03:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

I passed the interview and was included on the candidate pool for the EMB120 SIC position haha, but hey you start flying and dang.....so who knows

Old 08-31-2017, 05:11 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Sure, you game for a January class?

(assuming we get the job of course...)

I'm in their pool candidate already but as SIC. But I should be around 900h TT and 450h of multi by January

Old 09-06-2017, 12:09 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jun 2017

Let's say someone has the goal of flying for UPS, or Fedex. Does spending time at Ameriflight help get you there or is one better off spending that time flying for a regional? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:44 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by Test Echo 45 View Post
Let's say someone has the goal of flying for UPS, or Fedex. Does spending time at Ameriflight help get you there or is one better off spending that time flying for a regional? Thanks in advance.
For FedEx, I have no idea. Years ago the key to getting there was military time. But now I have no clue. I don't know anyone who flies there.

For UPS, I do know two former AMF pilots who are there. One went straight from AMF to UPS about 12-13 years ago. The more recent one went from AMF to SkyWest and then to UPS about 6 months ago.

There is currently a program that UPS set up where they bring people on as interns and send them to AMF when they get to about 500 hours. They will fly here, starting as BE99 first officers then moving to the left seat in the 99 and up to the type rated planes until they get to about 3000 hours and then go back to UPS. This was announced as Phase I. Which implies there should be a Phase II and maybe III. No idea what it is but rumor is there may be an announcement mid to late November.