Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 06:05 AM
Ameriflight

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Originally Posted by Shimmyshimmy03 View Post
How does Ameriflight work with those Pilots who are still serving in the military in a part-time capacity? I'm looking to make the jump to a civilian career, and concurrently have a few more years that I'll be serving.
We fully support all military commitments! We have pilots in the reserve and guard that fly for us. We work with their military schedule and get them off to fulfill their commitment.
They work full time with us and a hold a line like our other pilots.

Hope that helps!
Old 02-18-2019, 04:15 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2019

, thanks again! I'll start getting stuff together and shoot that email out.

I did discover the careers page while I was waiting for a reply!

Good to know about being overqualified. If I'm not mistaken, the ACP time does NOT count towards ATP, but the EMB FO time does, correct?

erducky. You bring up a good point.

I don't have any specific preference for bases yet. Does anyone have any opinions on where the best EMB FO bases are? Do any hire more often than others? At which bases do FOs accrue hours more quickly? Which are the slowest?
Old 02-18-2019, 04:16 PM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by FreightDogs View Post
Thank you, thank you!

There aren't any First Officer openings right now. We just closed one we had open in Reno, NV. You can go ahead and shoot your resume and class/location availability to our First Officer recruiter, Kacie Freeman. Her email is [email protected]. That'll at least get you on her radar!

Keep an eye out at www.ameriflight.com/careers. That's where our new positions will show up! Also, if you have an Instagram, we typically post on our IG Stories when we have an FO opening since it's such a hot commodity.

We typically have our regular FO openings every two or so months as our current FOs upgrade. Sometimes more often. For example, we had three in December, one in January, and one in February.

Yes, you can be overqualified in a way. If you are closer to 750 TT, we'd want to put you in our ACP FO program instead of the regular FO program. If you are closer to 1,100 TT, we would want you to just gain the 100 needed to come in as a direct entry Captain. It kind of just depends on where you're at!

Hope that helps!

Good to know about being overqualified. If I'm not mistaken, the ACP time does NOT count towards ATP, but the EMB FO time does, correct?

I don't have any specific preference for bases yet. Does anyone have any opinions on where the best EMB FO bases are? Do any hire more often than others? At which bases do FOs accrue hours quickly? Which are the slowest?
Old 02-22-2019, 06:04 PM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by 927A View Post

I don't have any specific preference for bases yet. Does anyone have any opinions on where the best EMB FO bases are? Do any hire more often than others? At which bases do FOs accrue hours quickly? Which are the slowest?
I have a followup question,

How much actual flying do the FOs get to do?
Old 02-24-2019, 09:24 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

I have a followup question,

How much actual flying do the FOs get to do?
If you are talking about straight flight hours, as much as the captain on the run.

If you are asking how much hands on, as an FO on our flights you should be getting somewhere near 50% or more. An FO flying with me, for example, can take every leg if they want. Provided there isn't a company prohibition about it. For example, an FO can only do the take off or landing if the visibility is 1SM or greater.

Now, there have been cases in the past where certain captains didn't allow the FO to handle the controls. If this were to happen, the FO needs to talk with their regional Chief Pilot. Other than the E120, where an FO is required by the certification of the aircraft, we have FOs to enable them to get time to become our next captains. For that reason, we want them to handle the controls, fly approaches, do just about every aspect of the flight so that when they have enough hours to be a captain, they will be safe and professional in that capacity.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:53 AM
Ameriflight

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Correct, the ACP time does not count towards your ATP. It just counts toward your Captain upgrade with Ameriflight. The big pro is that you'll become a Captain quicker than our regular FOs. And then of course be able to gain valuable PIC time.

Here's the list of EMB120 bases: BFI, ONT, PDX, PHX, BQN, and SLC
PDX and BQN probably hire the most often.
The routes at each base range in monthly flight hours, but I can list them from highest to lowest flight hours: BQN at around 90, SLC at around 45, BFI at around 40, PDX at around 35, ONT at around 30.
I'll list PHX separately as one of the routes is around 60 and the other is around 30.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:13 PM
On Reserve

Guys, thanks so much for the information. Its been extremely helpful.

I have some questions about the ACP.
How often are those hired vs the FOs? What is their flight time like vs the FO position?
I understand the FOs have a 5 on 2 off schedule, are ACPs the same?
What are the bases and which hires most often?
Which, if any, of the hiring minimums are flexible?
Old 02-27-2019, 09:36 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Guys, thanks so much for the information. Its been extremely helpful.

I have some questions about the ACP.
How often are those hired vs the FOs? What is their flight time like vs the FO position?
I understand the FOs have a 5 on 2 off schedule, are ACPs the same?
What are the bases and which hires most often?
Which, if any, of the hiring minimums are flexible?
ACPs are hired by when we have available class space and candidates with the time to fill them.
Flight time is comparable. The big difference is there are no assigned bases for the ACP candidates. Instead, they are moved around to get them their required time to reach 1000 hours total time as expeditiously as possible. They are trained as FOs in the BE1900 (currently) and the highest time runs for that are the Albany run out of SDF/CVG and the runs in DFW and SJU. They are UPS schedules, which means M-F (some are M PM - Sa AM.) Once the ACP is approaching 1000 hours, they can bid for any open BE99 run. They initially will be restricted IFR captains in the BE99 and will be sent to where they can best be utilized with their weather restrictions. But once they reach 1200 hours and become unrestricted captains, they will relocate to their awarded base.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:50 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2011

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr View Post
Depends on how long you are talking. The FOs are a required crew member in the E120, so we don't force folks to upgrade like we do with the ACP first officers. We know some pilots are looking to go from here to the regionals and the E120 FO option is a good way to do that. But you need to realize that for us, it is also a way to bring lower time pilots up into our captain ranks so we want to keep a turn over going. So we won't force you to move up when you hit 1200 hours. But if you are over 1200 and your recurrent training is coming due, we will have to look long and hard at whether we want to spend the money keeping you current when we figure you are close to leaving or if we want to spend that to train a new pilot to take the slot.
Thanks, makes sense.

What do you guys look for in a E120 FO candidate? There are probably lots of 500 hour folks wanting to get on, so what resume bullets will set someone apart and make them competitive?
Old 03-01-2019, 07:09 AM
Gets Weekends Off

For those who have asked about the AMF to UPS Gateway program, the first two AMF pilots to be enrolled in the program have interviewed and been offered positions with UPS. Now they are just waiting for a class date.

If you are interested, check out the link below or talk with an Ameriflight pilot recruiter.

https://w3.ameriflight.com/ups-flightpathii/