Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 06:53 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2019

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr View Post
One thing I would add to what FreightDogs said about facial hair. You need to make sure it isn't SO long that it would interfere with the oxygen mask in an emergency. So no "Duck Dynasty" style beard.
Lol I wish it grew that long. Anyway I'm aware of the safety concerns; FAA even has an AC one it, 120-43.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:37 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2019

One other question: What is the likelihood of being transferred to another base, both voluntarily or involuntarily?
Old 02-13-2019, 09:47 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by 927A View Post
One other question: What is the likelihood of being transferred to another base, both voluntarily or involuntarily?
Involuntarily isn't likely once you are in a bid position. Unless for some reason your run goes away or the aircraft changes and you aren't qualified or choose not to move to the new one.

Voluntarily is possible if there is an open bid to a different location in the same position or a different aircraft that you are qualified to train into.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:46 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Sep 2018

Ameriflight’s experience can be make or break depending on your base. Fun flying, great pay and benefits. Good Instrument training and intro to Jepp’s and real commercial flying of getting “x” from “a” to “b” on time, within the rules, and safely. Only suggestion I have for anyone looking here is talk to people in the base you want/get. The base managers, supervisors, and pilots make or break the experience. Know your contract. If I had the choice, I’d go again. Flying King airs (ok, 99’s but still) single pilot, no autopilot, raw data in IMC sharpened my skills more than any more instructing would have. Overall its a great job with great benefits and pay. Research your base bids and enjoy the kind of flying you’ll never get to do again
Old 02-15-2019, 12:05 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2011

Can you elect to remain an EMB SIC when you get to the required hours for upgrade into another airframe, or are you forced to upgrade?
Old 02-15-2019, 06:42 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by kaputt View Post
Can you elect to remain an EMB SIC when you get to the required hours for upgrade into another airframe, or are you forced to upgrade?
Depends on how long you are talking. The FOs are a required crew member in the E120, so we don't force folks to upgrade like we do with the ACP first officers. We know some pilots are looking to go from here to the regionals and the E120 FO option is a good way to do that. But you need to realize that for us, it is also a way to bring lower time pilots up into our captain ranks so we want to keep a turn over going. So we won't force you to move up when you hit 1200 hours. But if you are over 1200 and your recurrent training is coming due, we will have to look long and hard at whether we want to spend the money keeping you current when we figure you are close to leaving or if we want to spend that to train a new pilot to take the slot.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:44 PM
Ameriflight

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Originally Posted by 927A View Post
Hey FreightDogs, thanks for the quick response! You've been most helpful.

According to those numbers, I am well qualified, so my next question is how do I go about starting the application process? Also, how do I know when and where there are openings?

Can you shed any light on when the next round of FO hiring might be expected?

I'm still flying now as a CFI, e.g. gaining hours, is it possible to become "overqualified" for the FO position?
Thank you, thank you!

There aren't any First Officer openings right now. We just closed one we had open in Reno, NV. You can go ahead and shoot your resume and class/location availability to our First Officer recruiter, Kacie Freeman. Her email is [email protected]. That'll at least get you on her radar!

Keep an eye out at www.ameriflight.com/careers. That's where our new positions will show up! Also, if you have an Instagram, we typically post on our IG Stories when we have an FO opening since it's such a hot commodity.

We typically have our regular FO openings every two or so months as our current FOs upgrade. Sometimes more often. For example, we had three in December, one in January, and one in February.

Yes, you can be overqualified in a way. If you are closer to 750 TT, we'd want to put you in our ACP FO program instead of the regular FO program. If you are closer to 1,100 TT, we would want you to just gain the 100 needed to come in as a direct entry Captain. It kind of just depends on where you're at!

Hope that helps!
Old 02-16-2019, 08:36 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2014

I plan on applying this fall and will have about 730 hours by that time. I would like to start in the FO program to gain experience in the 120 with an eye to eventually becoming a 120 captain. Is that a possibility?
Also, I am concerned that the starting pay for an FO would make living on the west coast very difficult financially due to the high cost of living there. Any recommendations from those who have done it would be appreciated. TIA
Old 02-16-2019, 10:14 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jun 2018
Position: ERJ-175 FO

How does Ameriflight work with those Pilots who are still serving in the military in a part-time capacity? I'm looking to make the jump to a civilian career, and concurrently have a few more years that I'll be serving.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:55 AM
Ameriflight

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Originally Posted by rftorp View Post
I plan on applying this fall and will have about 730 hours by that time. I would like to start in the FO program to gain experience in the 120 with an eye to eventually becoming a 120 captain. Is that a possibility?
Also, I am concerned that the starting pay for an FO would make living on the west coast very difficult financially due to the high cost of living there. Any recommendations from those who have done it would be appreciated. TIA
Yes, it's definitely possible to start in one of our FO programs and make your way up to EMB120 Captain. With your current TT at 730, you'd be looking at our ACP FO position as your fastest way to get to Captain. You wouldn't go directly from FO to EMB120 Captain, though. You'd have to be Captain on two of our other aircraft first. Totally doable!

Average upgrade from FO to BE99 Captain is less than a year for the ACP positions.

Hope that helps!