Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Old 01-16-2018, 10:34 AM
In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr View Post
That is the normal schedule if you are covering a UPS, DHL or FedEx run. And yes, you could do all of the above. (And I know of pilots who have done all of them. Just be sure if you get a side job that your other employer is aware you may be late or not show up due to diversion or broken aircraft.) The one consideration is if the time at the out station is when you are expected to get your legal rest, you need to make sure you are rested to do your entire run. If you are out doing activities instead of resting, there will certainly be questions if you call out fatigued when you get around to the morning part of your duty time.
Company provides hotels for that time?
Or are you expected to "rest" in an FBO?
Old 01-16-2018, 10:42 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by dera View Post
Company provides hotels for that time?
Or are you expected to "rest" in an FBO?
Hotel. Unlike some other operators, we don't expect you to get rest in a recliner.

And the hotels are generally of a higher quality than when I first started here. Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn, La Quinta, Hilton Garden Inn, etc. The only times we use places like Super 8 or Best Western are where those are the best the small town has to offer.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:53 AM
In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr View Post
Hotel. Unlike some other operators, we don't expect you to get rest in a recliner.

And the hotels are generally of a higher quality than when I first started here. Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn, La Quinta, Hilton Garden Inn, etc. The only times we use places like Super 8 or Best Western are where those are the best the small town has to offer.
Good to hear, that's the legit way to do it.

I know a company who will fly you out in the PM, fly back AM, and you "rest" in a sofa in the FBO.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:41 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2014
Position: Just a pilot

Originally Posted by TyWebb View Post
I'd imagine your one of those guys in the aviation world that everyone loves to fly with.
Or maybe learn something from. Guys like the poster you reference have taught me things that have saved my life more than once. Thicken your skin a little, the plane will kill you without saying a word. Well, maybe "Pull UP" but you are almost a goner by then anyway.
No offense, but the up and coming pilots of today seem to have baby soft tender emotions and a reluctance to take a little instruction from the guys who have been in the game longer than they have. Staying alive is more important than "having fun". There's definitely a requirement for the job to be enjoyable and fun, but that's not the first priority, and certainly not the main ingredient in a good pilot. What you should look for is the guy who shows you the ropes (even after you think you know it all) but still makes a pleasurable crewmate.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by tm602 View Post
Or maybe learn something from. Guys like the poster you reference have taught me things that have saved my life more than once. Thicken your skin a little, the plane will kill you without saying a word. Well, maybe "Pull UP" but you are almost a goner by then anyway.
No offense, but the up and coming pilots of today seem to have baby soft tender emotions and a reluctance to take a little instruction from the guys who have been in the game longer than they have. Staying alive is more important than "having fun". There's definitely a requirement for the job to be enjoyable and fun, but that's not the first priority, and certainly not the main ingredient in a good pilot. What you should look for is the guy who shows you the ropes (even after you think you know it all) but still makes a pleasurable crewmate.
Having spent 3000+ hours in cargo (and having gone to corporate for another 3000+ and now returning), I can say you will aquire skills and situational awareness that will make you a great pilot if you fly cargo.
Is it the fastest way to get to a seat I the majors?...maybe not..but a great way to lay a foundation for your future.
And you might find that the quality of life benefits of flying cargo, is a huge plus...others here might not agree, maybe it more of an attitude, but reality is, once you are a good pilot, the size of the plane is not as important as is the paycheck (yes, even after Sept 11 , I was kept busy in cargo, no layoff or furlough...) Or the QUALITY of time you get to spend with your family.
Sure the planes are older, smaller, and have more of an "old school" setup, but honestly, if you can safely fly a Metro or be-99, you can do many things.. Sometimes more than $$ matters.
Not all roads lead to a part 121 job...
Having flown bush, cargo and corporate, each has it pluses and minuses. The important thing is is to find what you like.
I personally prefer not having to get 2 meals a day at a food court at a airport.... similarly weekends off(usually) are great, as are half the day!!
Keep an open mind...
Getting to park within a few feet of my plane...then flying an Hour...them spending a night/afternoon in a hotel, then going home is IMO GREAT.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:40 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2014
Position: Just a pilot

Originally Posted by ZippyNH View Post
Having spent 3000+ hours in cargo (and having gone to corporate for another 3000+ and now returning), I can say you will aquire skills and situational awareness that will make you a great pilot if you fly cargo.
Is it the fastest way to get to a seat I the majors?...maybe not..but a great way to lay a foundation for your future.
And you might find that the quality of life benefits of flying cargo, is a huge plus...others here might not agree, maybe it more of an attitude, but reality is, once you are a good pilot, the size of the plane is not as important as is the paycheck (yes, even after Sept 11 , I was kept busy in cargo, no layoff or furlough...) Or the QUALITY of time you get to spend with your family.
Sure the planes are older, smaller, and have more of an "old school" setup, but honestly, if you can safely fly a Metro or be-99, you can do many things.. Sometimes more than $$ matters.
Not all roads lead to a part 121 job...
Having flown bush, cargo and corporate, each has it pluses and minuses. The important thing is is to find what you like.
I personally prefer not having to get 2 meals a day at a food court at a airport.... similarly weekends off(usually) are great, as are half the day!!
Keep an open mind...
Getting to park within a few feet of my plane...then flying an Hour...them spending a night/afternoon in a hotel, then going home is IMO GREAT.
That's kind of what I was saying. ANyone who can survive cargo flying, especially in older planes, is worth listening to. bUt too many of the newer pilots coming up just roll their eyes because they think they already know it all.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:26 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2012
Position: 'Van Driver

Originally Posted by tm602 View Post
That's kind of what I was saying. ANyone who can survive cargo flying, especially in older planes, is worth listening to. bUt too many of the newer pilots coming up just roll their eyes because they think they already know it all.
Well, most of them have known nothing but glass cockpits . . . there are fewer and fewer mom & pop schools with older trainers around and everyone wanting to fly for a living seems to get directed to the "zero to hero in no time" mills these days. I personally enjoyed flying the AMF Chieftains all over New Mexico, but at the same time I would like to fly a state-of-the-art airplane before I die, even if I have to endure the airline zoo experience

Once the Cessna SkyCourier comes online though, you betcha I'll be flying one of them while enjoying the cargo feeder schedule & QoL 'til I can no longer hold a medical!
Old 01-23-2018, 08:31 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Yea AMF will get the Skycourrier in 35 years when they are thrown away by everyone else, just like all the rest of their fleet types.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:33 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2012

Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
Yea AMF will get the Skycourrier in 35 years when they are thrown away by everyone else, just like all the rest of their fleet types.

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-23-2018, 08:42 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2012
Position: 'Van Driver

Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
you think they're going to be around that long?