Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List
VASBYT

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-18-2019, 12:31 PM   #4961  
Gets Weekends Off
 
ZippyNH's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2017
Posts: 146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoPapa View Post
Agreed. I was just talking about it as a stepping stone. A pilot should honor any commitment that they make.
+1
A few will find the lifestyle and work interesting enough and stay a bit longer...or in my case, leave, do corporate for a few thousand hours, then return. Cargo is kinda odd...I still bump into people from when I started in '99 that swore they would move on, that still fly it...some have moved on to bigger planes, some, happily, have stayed small.
Flying cargo can be interesting, and one thing honestly great about it is the people. Lots of different personalities...it's not like when you sit at an FBO, or sit in a hotel bar, and can guess who somebody works for because they have a specific personality type.
ZippyNH is offline  
Old 04-18-2019, 02:05 PM   #4962  
Gets Weekends Off
 
KSCessnaDriver's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: the right side
Posts: 1,288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSasquatch View Post
Sounds like a big project to get the STC (based on the text box they have on the website). Id guess the volume of the 1900D would help to recoupe some of the cost. Probably would need to acquire and convert a good number to make it pan out.
I seem to remember asking once way back when I worked at Ameriflight about the D models, and the answer was that the performance was worse out of many airports, due to the 1900C being an SFAR 41C airplane, versus the 1900D being Part 23 Commuter Category.
KSCessnaDriver is offline  
Old 04-18-2019, 02:32 PM   #4963  
Gets Weekends Off
 
TeamSasquatch's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2017
Posts: 290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCessnaDriver View Post
I seem to remember asking once way back when I worked at Ameriflight about the D models, and the answer was that the performance was worse out of many airports, due to the 1900C being an SFAR 41C airplane, versus the 1900D being Part 23 Commuter Category.
Interesting, thanks. Seems like the part 23 is the reason they STCd the escape hatch into the cockpit. Id guess the large fuesalage has a speed penalty, but it looks like it could nearly replace 2 metros.
TeamSasquatch is offline  
Old 04-18-2019, 11:23 PM   #4964  
Line Holder
 
Lifesabeech92's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2019
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoPapa View Post
Agreed. I was just talking about it as a stepping stone. A pilot should honor any commitment that they make.
their commitment is the contract or buy out... either is fine... what's not fine is leaving without buy out.
Lifesabeech92 is offline  
Old 04-20-2019, 10:02 PM   #4965  
Gets Weekends Off
 
SoFloFlyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2017
Posts: 872
Default

Seems a bit difficult to figure out or maybe its just not possible, but what are the options for a someone who wants to come onboard at AMF, but lives in South Florida? Seems like youd have to move to base when youre hired.
SoFloFlyer is offline  
Old 04-21-2019, 06:34 AM   #4966  
Gets Weekends Off
 
ZippyNH's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2017
Posts: 146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFloFlyer View Post
Seems a bit difficult to figure out or maybe its just not possible, but what are the options for a someone who wants to come onboard at AMF, but lives in South Florida? Seems like youd have to move to base when youre hired.
Depends on your experience...
An experience captain might be able to be home-based if a position is open....so 2200-2500+ hrs.
Others would really need you move to a base since the AMF schedule is not really commutable.
ZippyNH is offline  
Old 04-21-2019, 10:22 AM   #4967  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Aug 2018
Posts: 1
Default Emb120 training

Just looking for some insight into the training for fo on the emb120. Im hearing that it is quite difficult. Any insight about the training, success rate and also any tips how to be successful in that training are greatly appreciated.
Thanks everyone.
hal9thousand is offline  
Old 04-22-2019, 07:46 AM   #4968  
Gets Weekends Off
 
frmrbuffdrvr's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any
Posts: 626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyNH View Post
Depends on your experience...
An experience captain might be able to be home-based if a position is open....so 2200-2500+ hrs.
Others would really need you move to a base since the AMF schedule is not really commutable.
I heard we aren't hiring home based captains any more. Not a cost effective business model for our type of schedule.
frmrbuffdrvr is offline  
Old 04-22-2019, 06:08 PM   #4969  
On Reserve
 
DeeDee214's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2019
Posts: 13
Default

I have a few questions pertaining to the Accelerated Captain Program.

1. Does there need to be a specific ACP hiring announcement to apply?

2. I understand ACP pilots are sent anywhere in the system to get hours fast but are they assigned a specific airframe throughout the program? If so, does the pilot get any choice?

3. This question is moot if the answer to the question above is no, but...if an ACP pilot is specific to a particular airframe, will they upgrade to that airframe when meeting 135 IFR minimums? For example, the pilot spends ACP in a B1900 then gets their hours. Will they stay on as a 1900 captain or transition over to the 99?

4. Given that ACP pilots are not assigned a base, are they free to live anywhere prior to hitting 135 minimums and assignment to a base or must they already live near a base? Do "ACP Graduates" have any choice in base assignment?



Thanks!!
DeeDee214 is offline  
Old 04-22-2019, 08:09 PM   #4970  
Gets Weekends Off
 
frmrbuffdrvr's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any
Posts: 626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee214 View Post
I have a few questions pertaining to the Accelerated Captain Program.

1. Does there need to be a specific ACP hiring announcement to apply?

2. I understand ACP pilots are sent anywhere in the system to get hours fast but are they assigned a specific airframe throughout the program? If so, does the pilot get any choice?

3. This question is moot if the answer to the question above is no, but...if an ACP pilot is specific to a particular airframe, will they upgrade to that airframe when meeting 135 IFR minimums? For example, the pilot spends ACP in a B1900 then gets their hours. Will they stay on as a 1900 captain or transition over to the 99?

4. Given that ACP pilots are not assigned a base, are they free to live anywhere prior to hitting 135 minimums and assignment to a base or must they already live near a base? Do "ACP Graduates" have any choice in base assignment?



Thanks!!
FreightDogs will have to answer the first question. But for the rest,

For now all ACP FOs start out as SIC in the BE1900 and then transition to the BE99 when they get captain minimums. Until you hit 1200 hours and are assigned to a permanent base (which you can bid for once you hit 1000 hours) you can live wherever you choose. We will cover travel and lodging at the base we have you flying at. At 1000 hours TT (and a minimum 50 hours in the ACP program) you will become a Restricted IFR Captain in the BE99 and can submit a bid for any open BE99 position in the company. Once you reach 1200 hours, you will be expected to move to the base for the position you bid as an Unrestricted IFR Captain. From there you are welcome to bid for any other position (type rated equipment, etc) which you become eligible and qualified for.
frmrbuffdrvr is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ameriflight Travel Benefits question. Mrsmith42e Cargo 22 01-22-2021 09:14 AM
Ameriflight - Upgrade to t-prop? waflyboy Cargo 3 05-10-2020 03:48 PM
Ameriflight OAK runs? chazbird Part 135 10 07-01-2007 04:47 PM
Ameriflight Questions beech_nut Cargo 0 01-28-2006 12:55 PM
Ameriflight added to APC Freight Dog Cargo 0 11-17-2005 10:27 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:40 AM.