Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Old 08-25-2010, 09:26 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat

Originally Posted by Kenny Powers View Post
Sorry if this has been covered before, but say you get hired into the PA31 with ATP mins...can they give you the ATP ride in concurrence with the .293 initial checks, etc etc.

Thanks
No, most of our Check Airman are not authorized to conduct initial type rides or issue ATP certificates. Plus, PA31, not a chance. You need to have two or three rides with the company, or get hired directly into a "typed" aircraft, before they will give you an ATP ride. It protects the company from someone using AMF to get their ATP and then bailing.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:17 PM
IflyApanes

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: Former Air Ambulance, Flt Inst, Check Airman, Current CRJ CA
Lightbulb QOL Oakland vs Portland

Oakland vs Portland, which is better as far as QOL, Rent etc..... Do employees of AMF have a place to park their car at the airport?
Old 08-25-2010, 12:36 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2009
Position: PT Inbound

From a strictly financial standpoint, Portland is better because California is MUCH too expensive. In addition to that, when based in PDX, you can live in WA and not pay any state income tax (save even more).

Just my opinion. I was never OAK based!
Old 08-25-2010, 03:30 PM
IflyApanes

Originally Posted by Fly Boy Knight View Post
From a strictly financial standpoint, Portland is better because California is MUCH too expensive. In addition to that, when based in PDX, you can live in WA and not pay any state income tax (save even more).

Just my opinion. I was never OAK based!
You obviously have to be a WA citizen to not claim income taxes right? Do you know what it takes to become a citizen of that state? Just curious.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:03 PM
Part Time

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: Chief Pilot PC-12NG

I think as long as you have a permanent mailing address somewhere in WA you will be fine. My wife and I still have to get our WA driver licenses and we've been living in WA for a while now. I had no issues on my taxes with WA.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:40 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Alright, I think the whole state vs federal income tax thing is a little shady but here goes.

If you live in WA, AMF will only take out Federal and WA state income taxes and since WA is income tax free, they only take out the federal stuff.

As for the legality, since AMF has bases all over the country, we can use this little lapse in communication between states to our advantage.

WA State Taxes:
Since AMF does fly in WA, when the WA state income tax people look at your taxes, they only see you as a WA resident who is working for a company that does in fact fly in WA therefore, WA believes you are 100% WA and nothing else (tax free =

OR State Taxes:
Since you technically are based in OR, OR is your "Tax Home" state therefore you should be paying OR income taxes because more than 50% of you income is being made in OR (because of your base of operations being in OR). Now, as long as you don't report anything to the state of OR, there is no way for them to find out that your base of operations is in OR short of calling AMF in Burbank and asking them which base you are part of. Since they have no reason to suspect that you are flying in OR (because neither federal or WA will tell them otherwise), they will never find out about you actually being based in OR. This is how the WA living pilots at PDX get away with not paying OR state income tax (to my knowledge).
Old 08-26-2010, 06:51 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Unique Tax Issues Faced by Pilots and Other Interstate Transportation Employees | Colorado Tax Attorney: Denver Tax Lawyer

Here's an article where a pilot for Southwest got nailed for tax fraud. Now, his situation is similar to the situation concerning AMF PDX pilots living in WA however, this guy got caught evading his taxes because he tried to claim commuting to work as tax exempt (which it is not 1. because it is his primary job and 2. he didn't pay for the flight tickets he claimed lol). Because of this fraud, the powers that be looked into his taxes further and dug up the situation we are sorta talking about.

Again, the only reason the states found out about his out of state stuff was because of his tax fraud concerning his commute.

Enjoy
Old 08-27-2010, 07:54 AM
IflyApanes

Question

How many Navajos/Chieftains are based in PDX/OAK? How many pilots?
Old 08-27-2010, 08:57 AM
Part Time

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: Chief Pilot PC-12NG

I believe there's around 30 pilots, 1 navajo, and a good number of Chieftains in PDX. Say around 13-15 at least. Not sure about OAK.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:11 PM
IflyApanes

Question

Is there anyone in the interview process right now?