Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

SeaPort Airlines

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 01:52 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2013

I hope you get it CaptainO! I've been looking at this company for a few years now. I hope to get an invitation sometime this summer. We'll see!
Old 05-10-2014, 03:19 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2014
Position: CFI/CFII/MEI
Default Seaport airlines new hire class hotel

Hey guys, if you have recently accepted the position with SeaPort id like to first off say, congratulations! Secondly, I have accepted the offer and am looking to get a hotel room right near the airport for the anticipated June 2nd ground school class date. If you would like to pitch in with me let me know. I am thinking no more than 3 people other than myself to a room. I know it sounds like a lot, but welcome to the industry. I'll make sure to get a two bed room. Some of us will have to buy an air mattress or sleeping bag. Anyways let me know. I'll also be looking to rent an apartment in Memphis too (eww but not much choice) and may be down to share some expenses with that. See you at the class, let me know.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:20 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007

Originally Posted by Baywatch3707 View Post
Hey guys, if you have recently accepted the position with SeaPort id like to first off say, congratulations! Secondly, I have accepted the offer and am looking to get a hotel room right near the airport for the anticipated June 2nd ground school class date. If you would like to pitch in with me let me know. I am thinking no more than 3 people other than myself to a room. I know it sounds like a lot, but welcome to the industry. I'll make sure to get a two bed room. Some of us will have to buy an air mattress or sleeping bag. Anyways let me know. I'll also be looking to rent an apartment in Memphis too (eww but not much choice) and may be down to share some expenses with that. See you at the class, let me know.
I honestly wouldn't stay right at the airport. You can get a decent rate if you double up right down the road in Southaven/Horn Lake and have food options close by and a much safer neighborhood.

Two to a room should be the cap as nobody needs to be sleeping on a air mattress in a sleeping bag while in indoc and systems training. Recipe for failure in my book as training here is fast paced and unless you come in with prior 121/135 experience, you will be drinking from a fire hose for at least 2 weeks straight.

Also, don't be too quick to rent your own place. There are plenty of commuters in the Memphis base who are in crash pads. Seek out and talk to those guys to see if there is any availability before striking out on your own.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:32 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2014

Congratulations! I look forward to flying with you really soon. I plan on applying this month for the next class. I will have just over 300 hours when I apply. I now hold a multi comm, instrument ratings along with single engine land. I'm currently doing the commercial single add on. As soon as that is finished I will hit the submit button and send off my paperwork. I hope I have a shot with my 300 hours...What were your times when you applied? Congrats ounce again!
Old 05-13-2014, 01:00 PM
New Hire

Position: Cessna 208, Right Seat

Hey if any of you new hires have questions about training let me know. I am an FO with SeaPort and have been with them now for almost 6 months. Congrats on the new hire!
Old 05-13-2014, 06:38 PM
New Hire

Tall guy-
I have 580 TT, 28Multi and I'm a CFI/CFII/MEI. I'm actually a Flight Training Supervisor right now at FIT in Melbourne, FL and I'm just not getting much flight time. Plus don't really like instructing all that much. Look forward to flying with ya too!
Old 05-13-2014, 06:43 PM
New Hire

Originally Posted by centennialfly View Post
Hey if any of you new hires have questions about training let me know. I am an FO with SeaPort and have been with them now for almost 6 months. Congrats on the new hire!
OMG id love to chat more, I'm going to send you a PM if that's cool . I have sooo many questions. I'll ask a few on here really quick so others can see the responses.

First off- (if you're based in MEM)
Do you actually have enough time to commute with the SeaPort Schedule?

2-do you have a fixed schedule (if so what does your schedule look like? Can you bid shifts?

3. Are there any pay scale increases in yearly pay? 2 year captain for example or is it 20.59/hr flat FO and 40/hr flat captain?

4. 401k match? If so what percent?

5. Is upgrade really easy? Basically hit 1200 instant captain?

6. Overall, average flight time per month would you say?

7. RONs- are there a lot of RONs? Do you get paid per diem?

Thanks!

Last edited by Baywatch3707; 05-13-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:55 PM
New Hire

Originally Posted by ctab5060X View Post
I honestly wouldn't stay right at the airport. You can get a decent rate if you double up right down the road in Southaven/Horn Lake and have food options close by and a much safer neighborhood.

Two to a room should be the cap as nobody needs to be sleeping on a air mattress in a sleeping bag while in indoc and systems training. Recipe for failure in my book as training here is fast paced and unless you come in with prior 121/135 experience, you will be drinking from a fire hose for at least 2 weeks straight.

Also, don't be too quick to rent your own place. There are plenty of commuters in the Memphis base who are in crash pads. Seek out and talk to those guys to see if there is any availability before striking out on your own.

The crashpads- Do I need to have a car there or do you know of any crashpads that are within proximity to a bus stop or other public trans? I really would love to commute and avoid living in Memphis at all costs but can't afford to buy another car simply for crash pad trans.

The 135 training- thanks for the recommendation on the hotel spacing per room. I was in the army, so 8 people in a hotel sized room was a was what we were used to (usually in tents with cots out in the desert or jungle). 4 people in a room doesn't seem like a lot to save the cost of the hotel. Plus I think it'll lead to a very very good study environment rather than a distraction leading to a failure. Id rather shack up and study with 4 members of the class than 2. Any recommendations on preparation?

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2014, 07:22 PM
New Hire

First off- (if you're based in MEM)
Do you actually have enough time to commute with the SeaPort Schedule?
Yes you can and a lot of guys do.

2-do you have a fixed schedule (if so what does your schedule look like? Can you bid shifts?
Yeah we bid usually about every month or so and for the most part it is a fixed schedule.

3. Are there any pay scale increases in yearly pay? 2 year captain for example or is it 20.59/hr flat FO and 40/hr flat captain?
Every year it goes up $1 I think.

4. 401k match? If so what percent?
401 K is only after the first year of employment and I have only been around for 6 months so Im not to sure on that.

5. Is upgrade really easy? Basically hit 1200 instant captain?
Not sure if its easy but we do need captains so once you get the time they will want to upgrade you.

6. Overall, average flight time per month would you say?
Right now for most guys its around 70-90 for the FOs.

7. RONs- are there a lot of RONs? Do you get paid per diem?
There are a decent amount but they arent too bad and you only get per diem if youre away for more than 24 which I believe we only have two of.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:23 PM
New Hire

Originally Posted by Baywatch3707 View Post
The crashpads- Do I need to have a car there or do you know of any crashpads that are within proximity to a bus stop or other public trans? I really would love to commute and avoid living in Memphis at all costs but can't afford to buy another car simply for crash pad trans.

The 135 training- thanks for the recommendation on the hotel spacing per room. I was in the army, so 8 people in a hotel sized room was a was what we were used to (usually in tents with cots out in the desert or jungle). 4 people in a room doesn't seem like a lot to save the cost of the hotel. Plus I think it'll lead to a very very good study environment rather than a distraction leading to a failure. Id rather shack up and study with 4 members of the class than 2. Any recommendations on preparation?

Thanks!
There is no such thing as public transport in Memphis haha, so its either have a car or be real good friends with someone with one. They will send out info on what hotel has a crew rate and usually multiple guys will stay there so you can study with them.