Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

SeaPort Airlines

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 07:40 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2014
Position: CFI/CFII/MEI

Originally Posted by centennialfly View Post
There is no such thing as public transport in Memphis haha, so its either have a car or be real good friends with someone with one. They will send out info on what hotel has a crew rate and usually multiple guys will stay there so you can study with them.
Sweet, thanks so much for the info. So do you commute? If so where from? I'm thinking of commuting from AUS (austin,TX) but there are only 3 flights departing direct to MEM per day. 2 fedex and 1 piedmont. Have you had any issues commuting? Would it be much easier to choose a place to live that's within our route structure? For example Dallas? I'm worried about getting bumped at other airlines. Do you know of any good crashpads avail in MEM currently?

How was the ground school, any recommendations of preparation?
Old 05-13-2014, 08:06 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007

Originally Posted by Baywatch3707 View Post
OMG id love to chat more, I'm going to send you a PM if that's cool . I have sooo many questions. I'll ask a few on here really quick so others can see the responses.

First off- (if you're based in MEM)
Do you actually have enough time to commute with the SeaPort Schedule?
Depends on the bid period. Currently, many of the lines are not that commutable, but some tweaks here and there and an increase in staffing could make the lines commutable.

Originally Posted by Baywatch3707
2-do you have a fixed schedule (if so what does your schedule look like? Can you bid shifts?
More or less. You fly what you are awarded and it is a weekly schedule that repeats itself. Despite how it sounds, due to weather, scheduled (or unscheduled) maintenance, or training... you never seem to do the same thing twice.

3. Are there any pay scale increases in yearly pay? 2 year captain for example or is it 20.59/hr flat FO and 40/hr flat captain?
It goes up $1 per year.

4. 401k match? If so what percent?
Eligible after 1 year of employment. I don't think there is a match. Remember, nobody comes to SeaPort for their retirement plan

5. Is upgrade really easy? Basically hit 1200 instant captain?
Right now it is pretty much just that. As long as you meet the minimums for PIC as defined in 135.243(c), and can pass upgrade training, you get four stripes.

6. Overall, average flight time per month would you say?
FOs: ~83 hours a month right now - scheduled
CAs: ~105 hours a month right now - scheduled

7. RONs- are there a lot of RONs? Do you get paid per diem?

Thanks!
Per diem is paid if away from base for more than 24 hours. Most lines are getting 2 overnights per week. Overnights are in ELD, SLN, and AHN.

The crashpads- Do I need to have a car there or do you know of any crashpads that are within proximity to a bus stop or other public trans? I really would love to commute and avoid living in Memphis at all costs but can't afford to buy another car simply for crash pad trans.
Public transportation is almost non-existent in Memphis. You will either need to have a cheap crashpad car, get in good with somebody, or simply move to base.

The 135 training- thanks for the recommendation on the hotel spacing per room. I was in the army, so 8 people in a hotel sized room was a was what we were used to (usually in tents with cots out in the desert or jungle). 4 people in a room doesn't seem like a lot to save the cost of the hotel. Plus I think it'll lead to a very very good study environment rather than a distraction leading to a failure. Id rather shack up and study with 4 members of the class than 2. Any recommendations on preparation?

Thanks!
Even you being used to that many people in a room doesn't mean that the others are used to that many people in a hotel room. Again, it is a fast paced training environment during those two weeks and you will be spending a lot of time with your new best friends. When things really start to pick up, there might even be days where you are in the classroom from 8am until 8 or 9pm (not with an instructor that length of time though). There are going to be several things that unless you have prior experience, it is going to be tough to wrap your brain around for the first few days. Going back to a hotel room with only one roommate will give you a chance to personally digest the information, plus you get more personal space. There will be plenty of time to get together in study groups.

As far as preparation... I would go over the basic part 91 regulations, weather, general turbine engine theory, etc. If you haven't flown IFR in a bit or not instrument current, study up on IFR operations. Additionally, if you haven't used a government issued chart, grab some and look over both the terminal procedures and enroute charts, including legends.

That should at least give you the foundation for the instructors to build on. Keep the questions coming, I'm happy to answer them.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:15 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2014

ctab5060X....? I really would love to fly with SeaPort. If it all works out I will be commuting from the Nashville area. I would like to know if I have a shot at SeaPort with 300tt. Thanks for your help.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:17 PM
Gets Weekends Off

I'm thinking of commuting from AUS (austin,TX) but there are only 3 flights departing direct to MEM per day. 2 fedex and 1 piedmont.
AUS to MEM is going to be a difficult commute to single leg it every time. There are only 2 direct flights per day. One on FedEx and one on Delta.

That being said, there are nearly 40 flight every day between AUS and DAL/DFW. DFW connects with 7 flights to MEM and DAL connects with MEM via SeaPort only. IAH and HOU are also options out of AUS.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:19 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by tall guy View Post
ctab5060X....? I really would love to fly with SeaPort. If it all works out I will be commuting from the Nashville area. I would like to know if I have a shot at SeaPort with 300tt. Thanks for your help.
Just hired a gent from Nashville that has about that amount of TT, so I would say that it is a very good shot at getting on with SeaPort, just depends on the staffing needs down the road.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:26 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Thanks for the information! I look forward to being in the next new hire class in july or august. I will continue to work on my art! I'm so excited for myself. I plan on submitting my information soon.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:51 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2014
Position: CFI/CFII/MEI

Originally Posted by ctab5060X View Post
Just hired a gent from Nashville that has about that amount of TT, so I would say that it is a very good shot at getting on with SeaPort, just depends on the staffing needs down the road.
Got a big question for you that someone just brought up here at my flight school I thought was a pretty damn good question.

Can I legally log SIC in an aircraft at SeaPort Airlines that is Single Pilot Certified? Can I apply it towards the ATP?

61.51 (f) allows logging SIC time only if:
the type certificate for the aircraft requires two pilots or
the regulations under which the flight is conducted require two pilots.

135.99 (b) No certificate holder may operate an aircraft without a SIC if that ac has a pax seating config excluding pilot seats of ten seats or more.

I do know that 135.101 states "Except as provided in 135.105, no person may operate an aircraft carrying passengers under IFR unless there is a SIC of the aircraft."

135.105- Basically states that you can still fly under IFR without a SIC if you have an Autopilot on board, and certain other circumstances.

So what does all of this mean? So an SIC is only required if the flight is under IFR without Autopilot, or there are ten or more pax (seaport c208 has 9 pax). So it would be safe to assume that you can't log SIC towards the ATP flying at SeaPort. UNLESS, SeaPort's OpSpec requires a SIC on ALL flights. But if thats the case, I thought SeaPort has the potential for the Captain to fly Solo if need be... Just some food for thought.

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2014, 08:10 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Got a big question for you that someone just brought up here at my flight school I thought was a pretty damn good question.

Can I legally log SIC in an aircraft at SeaPort Airlines that is Single Pilot Certified? Can I apply it towards the ATP?

61.51 (f) allows logging SIC time only if:
the type certificate for the aircraft requires two pilots or
the regulations under which the flight is conducted require two pilots.

135.99 (b) No certificate holder may operate an aircraft without a SIC if that ac has a pax seating config excluding pilot seats of ten seats or more.

I do know that 135.101 states "Except as provided in 135.105, no person may operate an aircraft carrying passengers under IFR unless there is a SIC of the aircraft."

135.105- Basically states that you can still fly under IFR without a SIC if you have an Autopilot on board, and certain other circumstances.

So what does all of this mean? So an SIC is only required if the flight is under IFR without Autopilot, or there are ten or more pax (seaport c208 has 9 pax). So it would be safe to assume that you can't log SIC towards the ATP flying at SeaPort. UNLESS, SeaPort's OpSpec requires a SIC on ALL flights. But if thats the case, I thought SeaPort has the potential for the Captain to fly Solo if need be... Just some food for thought.

Thanks!
Short answer is yes you can legally log SIC time in the Caravan. It isn't an OpSpec, but our GOM makes the SIC a required crew member for SeaPort operations, while still leaving the door open to operate single pilot if only absolutely necessary. About the only time we will operate single pilot is if we have nine passengers booked on the short Van (8 seats in the back) and we have to put a passenger up front.

Very good question and you will learn more about this during indoc.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:28 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Thanks for clarifiying that. But as a new hire can you tell me how many days off a month you guys normally get a month.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:33 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Also can you tell me about expansion...I heard that athens is closing and new ones will be opening. Any truth to this?