Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight etc vs. 121 world

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 08:14 PM
Apteryx

Joined APC: Jan 2010

Originally Posted by SWAblue View Post
Considering the size of AMF, this is not that impressive of a number.

And safety records are only good until today. Then it starts all over again.
Considering the size of Ameriflight, that represents a lot of exposure. Fatals per 100,000 flight hours is a commonly accepted safety statistic. I'd love to see that 500,000 number reach a million. The company is trying. . . .
Old 02-26-2012, 02:59 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat

Originally Posted by Oldog View Post
Considering the size of Ameriflight, that represents a lot of exposure. Fatals per 100,000 flight hours is a commonly accepted safety statistic. I'd love to see that 500,000 number reach a million. The company is trying. . . .
Where's the "like" button? oops wrong website.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:46 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007

Originally Posted by Oldog View Post
One thing to consider also is that AMF doesn't do very long legs... So that 500,000 is during those periods of high risk. I would also like to see you guys get it up 1mil.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:59 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2012

Originally Posted by Climbto450 View Post
I had a good friend of mine go from Ameriflight to Fedex. It is as good as the regionals for transitioning to the majors.
What kind of time did our friend have? Did he have any jet time or glass/CRM time? I'm just curious if it really is possible to go from AMF to FedEx or UPS because I've seen people say no and people say yes on here and other forums.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:25 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2012

Originally Posted by Armarsh24 View Post
What kind of time did our friend have? Did he have any jet time or glass/CRM time? I'm just curious if it really is possible to go from AMF to FedEx or UPS because I've seen people say no and people say yes on here and other forums.
Never mind, I pretty much got my answer when I read the rest of the thread posts ops: seems like it's not the trend based on stats to go straight from AMF -> Major. Im curious how many folks got hired on to Majors doing AMF for TPIC, then got CRM/glass/121 experience as an FO at a Regional and then got hired on to a Major?

Finally, is there any website or thread on here that tracks current or average upgrade times at the various regionals? I've heard anywhere from 3 years to 10+ (with no sight of an upgrade) as an FO on here and other forums. Thanks!
Old 03-18-2012, 09:04 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2012

Originally Posted by Armarsh24 View Post
Never mind, I pretty much got my answer when I read the rest of the thread posts ops: seems like it's not the trend based on stats to go straight from AMF -> Major. Im curious how many folks got hired on to Majors doing AMF for TPIC, then got CRM/glass/121 experience as an FO at a Regional and then got hired on to a Major?

Finally, is there any website or thread on here that tracks current or average upgrade times at the various regionals? I've heard anywhere from 3 years to 10+ (with no sight of an upgrade) as an FO on here and other forums. Thanks!
There is never a 100% solution to getting hired by a Major. There is plenty of history available to consider.

The qualifications of those hired by majors are very fluid depending on how much the majors are hiring at the time. Today will likely be different than the time when retirements begin to occur again UNLESS the industry enters another recession. Which is very possible.

The airline business has changed with the number of RJ's that are flying compared to 10- 15 years ago. Fundamentally meeting one airlines qualifications to interview has absolutely nothing to do with their qualifications compared to others available. Single pilot turbo prop time is good experience. Part 121 PIC scheduled airline experience is much better. The thought of a quick way into your career job is as simple as flying for AMF is not realistic. Someone always knows someone that may have done it that way but it wouldn't be a topic of conversation if it was not unusual. Putting your time in with a regional will be your best hope of getting the job you hope for. No one can argue that.

When it comes to hiring airline pilots, the competition for the jobs is a combination of qualifications and experience. For 140 pilot job openings recently SWA received over 7000 qualified applicants. How many of those do you think have higher experience levels than flying single pilot 135 turbines for AMF?

As I said in an earlier post, unless you have a strong in at the airline of your choice, the experience level of an AMF pilot does not compare that to an RJ Captain. But AMF experience can possibly get you a good Regional job for certain.

Good luck to everyone.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:22 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: goin somewhere....

Finally, is there any website or thread on here that tracks current or average upgrade times at the various regionals? I've heard anywhere from 3 years to 10+ (with no sight of an upgrade) as an FO on here and other forums. Thanks![/QUOTE]

This would be an interesting topic. I know that this fluctuates but maybe we could just stick to the present times...Any regional guys out there have any input?
Old 03-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2012

Originally Posted by Earl81 View Post

This would be an interesting topic. I know that this fluctuates but maybe we could just stick to the present times...Any regional guys out there have any input?
The problem is that there are too many variables to predict upgrade times with any degree of confidence. APC has junior captain with hire dates listed with each airline but that is the past. The future WILL be different but how and what will be different is the million dollar question.

Try to get on with a regional that works best for you and go from there.

One piece of advice, don't commute if you can.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:25 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2010

Originally Posted by lear 31 pilot View Post
Fly for AMF it will be your best experience ever, I flew Part 135 cargo not for AMF but for a good operator and have found it has helped me alot, screw the Regionals this kind of flying helps you become a Competent pilot so much more then flying an RJ on Autopilot.
I cant agree more.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:18 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Better experience than flying an RJ on AP? Yes. But it has little relevance when you eventually want to fly an RJ, 737, A320, 747 or whatever you eventually want to fly, on AP. If your end goal is for sure 121, and you cannot see yourself doing anything else, then AMF and the experience it gives really doesn't help... I loved the experience I received at AMF, and I am still not sure if I want to go 121 or not so thats the route I took.