Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight etc vs. 121 world

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 03:53 PM
Part Time

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: Chief Pilot PC-12NG

Originally Posted by SIUav8er View Post
what are you smokin dude? Who has gone from AMFML to a major in the last, oh lets say 10 years? Heck, has it happened at all in the last 40 years? I see AMF pilots leaving to go to 2 places. MOST go to the regionals, some go on to corporate or other 135 gigs. Maybe a few of the lucky guys went somewhere like Alegiant, but that is purely rumor and extremely rare. They had some sort of inside connection to even get their resume looked at.

To anyone considering Ameriflight, I highly urge you to consider going to a regional. AMF is a dead end job that eventually leads you to the right seat of a CRJ anyway, so why wait? Get your seniority now instead of starting at the bottom after a few years at AMF.

Disclaimer: I am not a disgruntled former or current employee. I think overall AMF is a semi-fair place to work. The experience gained here is awesome and the flying really is fun. But when I see 1900 and SA227 Captains with no black marks on their records, thousands of hours of TPIC , and no one will look at them except the regionals, I see a dead end job. The Majors want military and 121 time. period. AMF cant give you either so whats the long term advantage of coming here?
HIRED TODAY! anyone else gonna be in the February 8th class?
Some people like flying cargo more then passengers, and some like flying passengers more then cargo.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:39 AM
In the dumpster fire

Joined APC: Jan 2010

Originally Posted by undflyboy06 View Post
Some people like flying cargo more then passengers, and some like flying passengers more then cargo.
I hear ya! I am one of those who prefers flying cargo... buuut, I also like flying a Piper Super cub on floats! Doing nothing but but flying a super cub on floats isnt really a realistic career choice. Just like flying part 135 freight in 1900 isnt really a realistic career choice IF YOU WANT TO GET ON WITH A MAJOR. Lets face it, the majors will always take a regional CRJ captain over a 1900 freight dog. Right or wrong, you have to admit thats simply how it is! Maybe once they run out of regional pilots to hire from, they might dip into the pool of cargo turboprop drivers, but I find that highly unlikely to happen.

Again, I am giving my honest opinion on the issue to new guys who are trying to decide if AMF is a better overall career choice than the regionals. After being here and seeing where people go post AMF, I feel I can help the guys who are undecided make thier choice. At least give a different perspective based on my observations. Im not bashing AMF, just shedding some light on what really happens. Nobody goes AMF => Major. There is always a period of flying at a regional in between. So I just want guys to see that instead of hearing AMF HR people telling them that they can come here to bypass the regional airlines.

Anyway, Ill see ya at Skywest groundschool when youre tired of Ameriflight

Last edited by SIUav8er; 07-01-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:54 AM
In the dumpster fire

Joined APC: Jan 2010

Originally Posted by mwf008 View Post
@SIUav8er
In your other thread you said "Tons" of 1900 and Metro pilots are leaving to go to the regionals. Would you be so kind as to PM me the names of these individuals? I'll bet you can't because its not true. In regards to 1900 and Metro pilots you said, "no one will look at them except the regionals." This is simply not true. I may well be the most recent 1900/Metro pilot to leave Ameriflight and I got a damn good job. One of the main reasons was because of my current employers respect for the skills required to fly single pilot freight in turbo props. Ameriflight was the best thing that happened to my career. I know that some don't have the same good experience with the company as I did, but your statements are simply untrue. I received my recall letter from Shuttle America while working at Ameriflight, and giving up my recall rights was the best thing I could've done for my career. The regionals are a great place to work for the right individuals; I enjoyed very much flying an RJ and the crews I worked with while it lasted. That being said, you are drinking a bit too much of the RJ cool-aid. The one individual that I know of (not personally) that left the Metro to fly for the regionals recently was a very special circumstance... There may have been a FEW others over the last 6-9 months but "tons?" Maybe you are mistaken for 99 pilots. Dead end job?! Come on, dude...
Awesome! congrats on the new gig! Corporate or charter I would guess ? Anyway, maybe "dead end job" was a little too harsh... I am mostly talking to people who want a career in the major airlines. If you want to work in another sector of the industry AMF is the place to be, or any 135 cargo outfit for that matter. It most definitely is a hell of an experience to do this kind of flying! I have gained a lot of personal satisfaction flying here. buuut, I wish I would have simply gone to a regional sooner rather than later simply to advance my career. There is a difference between becoming a hot stick at AMF and actually advancing your career and checking the boxes to get on at the Majors, as much as I hate to say that.

I am mostly addressing the guys who's goal is getting into a major as fast as possible. Spending several years at AMF simply puts you several years behind the guys who are flying at a regional NOW.

you want names of whos leaving for the regionals? well, thats not appropriate on a forum here. but I can guarantee you nobody has received an interview at any major airlines that have been hiring/interviewing lately (Delta, Southwest, UPS, Fedex, jetBlue)
Old 07-01-2011, 01:56 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

While I can appreciate your efforts to add a dose of reality to Burbank's recruiting speech, you need to check your facts before you make such blanket statements as "no one goes from AMF to Majors." I've had a few friends go from AMF to Boeing, MD80 and Airbus operators. More before 2008 than after.

To be fair, yes, AMF pilots do have a disadvantage to our Regional counterparts, however, I'd contend that the main factor is a lack of "networking," as opposed to a lack of 121 time. Regional pilots fly with each other and have large pilot groups. Getting 3 internal recommendations from people you've flown with is a lot easier at an airline with 3000 pilots than a single pilot operator with 190 pilots and an average base size of 20.

On a personal note, IMHO, if you look at the big picture, the economy is slow right now. Competition is fierce. A pilot's career can be over 40 years long, there will be a few ups and downs, how you ride it out is up to you. I'm personally not one for the "rat race" to the majors.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Part Time

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: Chief Pilot PC-12NG

I hear ya! I am one of those who prefers flying cargo... buuut, I also like flying a Piper Super cub on floats! Doing nothing but but flying a super cub on floats isnt really a realistic career choice. Just like flying part 135 freight in 1900 isnt really a realistic career choice IF YOU WANT TO GET ON WITH A MAJOR. Lets face it, the majors will always take a regional CRJ captain over a 1900 freight dog. Right or wrong, you have to admit thats simply how it is! Maybe once they run out of regional pilots to hire from, they might dip into the pool of cargo turboprop drivers, but I find that highly unlikely to happen.

Again, I am giving my honest opinion on the issue to new guys who are trying to decide if AMF is a better overall career choice than the regionals. After being here and seeing where people go post AMF, I feel I can help the guys who are undecided make thier choice. At least give a different perspective based on my observations. Im not bashing AMF, just shedding some light on what really happens. Nobody goes AMF => Major. There is always a period of flying at a regional in between. So I just want guys to see that instead of hearing AMF HR people telling them that they can come here to bypass the regional airlines.

Anyway, Ill see ya at Skywest groundschool when youre tired of Ameriflight
There's no way that I'm going back to a regional. I have over 1,000 hours in the EMB-145 so I'm hoping that that will make it easier for me to try and get on with a major if it comes to that.

Anyway, I hope it really works out for you too. I wish you the best of luck.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat
Wink

Awesome! congrats on the new gig! Corporate or charter I would guess ? Anyway, maybe "dead end job" was a little too harsh... I am mostly talking to people who want a career in the major airlines. If you want to work in another sector of the industry AMF is the place to be, or any 135 cargo outfit for that matter. It most definitely is a hell of an experience to do this kind of flying! I have gained a lot of personal satisfaction flying here. buuut, I wish I would have simply gone to a regional sooner rather than later simply to advance my career. There is a difference between becoming a hot stick at AMF and actually advancing your career and checking the boxes to get on at the Majors, as much as I hate to say that.

I am mostly addressing the guys who's goal is getting into a major as fast as possible. Spending several years at AMF simply puts you several years behind the guys who are flying at a regional NOW.

you want names of whos leaving for the regionals? well, thats not appropriate on a forum here. but I can guarantee you nobody has received an interview at any major airlines that have been hiring/interviewing lately (Delta, Southwest, UPS, Fedex, jetBlue)
JetBlue-BFI pilot 2009
Alaska-BFI pilot 2008
Frontier-OAK pilot 2008
Allegiant-BUR/DFW pilot(s) 2008, 2010
Continental-PHX pilot 2007
UPS, SWA, etc, etc, etc...

FYI-The current chief pilot for UPS in ONT is an old Cal Air Charter pilot (Pre-Ameriflight)

You're right, we can't get interviews

Don't tell me we (AMF freight dogs) can't make it. It's all about who you know and displaying confidence in the interview that you will get through training and will be a great addition to the company.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:25 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008

Originally Posted by freightdog View Post
JetBlue-BFI pilot 2009
Alaska-BFI pilot 2008
Frontier-OAK pilot 2008
Allegiant-BUR/DFW pilot(s) 2008, 2010
Continental-PHX pilot 2007
UPS, SWA, etc, etc, etc...

FYI-The current chief pilot for UPS in ONT is an old Cal Air Charter pilot (Pre-Ameriflight)

You're right, we can't get interviews

Don't tell me we (AMF freight dogs) can't make it. It's all about who you know and displaying confidence in the interview that you will get through training and will be a great addition to the company.
Hmm, We had a total of 32 guys leave for JetBlue, SWA, FedEX and Virgin in the last couple months. Probably more than AMF in the last 3yrs. There's something to be said for 121 time don't kid yourself.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:58 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat

Originally Posted by Luv2Rotate View Post
Hmm, We had a total of 32 guys leave for JetBlue, SWA, FedEX and Virgin in the last couple months. Probably more than AMF in the last 3yrs. There's something to be said for 121 time don't kid yourself.
Yeah, you may also have a bigger pilot group than AMF, almost every airline does. It comes down to numbers. We are a group of only 200 pilots, at most.

Last edited by freightdog; 07-02-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:11 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2009
Position: Jets and Props

Originally Posted by Luv2Rotate View Post
You have more pilots trying to get to the majors than Ameriflight and more pilots in general. This industry has proven time and time again that its all about who you know. If my dad, uncle, grandpa, cousin, and sister are all Delta pilots I could probably fly jumpers to get my twin turbine and get a job. 121 time makes better contacts in the 121 world but the time isn't that much more valuable imo
Old 07-03-2011, 02:29 AM
2 days off

Joined APC: Jun 2009
Position: Embraer Systems Analyst

If you don't know anyone it's better to have jet time.