Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight etc vs. 121 world

Old 07-06-2011, 08:14 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

Originally Posted by bcpilot View Post
So all of U guys are proving the point, that no doubt there are a FEW guys that have gone direct to majors, but that's only a hand full of guys, that U can count on finger tips.....

That can NOT be a general analysis or a TREND or a recommended career path advise which seniors could & should offer the new hires who can have choices.......

Making it in training or not is a different subject & a lot depends on the individual, his aptitude, adaptability & also, his personal circumstances during training........
For one thing, I never said anything close to it being a "trend." But on the other hand I'm not going to sit here and let SIU preach that it "never happens."

And really, to say that if you're not going to fly for a major airline next, you must be in a "dead end job," I don't agree with either. I don't view my friends making good money flying corporate, air ambulance, or overseas as "failures."
Old 07-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2011
Position: CRJ fo

Heres the deal people, I agree with many of you... I have many friends at am. flight and other 135 operations like so. There are some 121 operations that fly cargo, check into them. They have the best scheds, pay is awesome, upgrades are fast, and of course 1000 HRS of PIC TURBINE! These people go further faster than some moron at a regional airline. I can't stand how people have tunnel vision thinking the regionals are the way to go. So is you enjoy 10 year upgrades, work every wknd/holiday, and 18k a year a regional is PERFECT for you! I will be kicked back your ERJ going home on the weekend and holidays sipping a beer!
Old 07-06-2011, 04:02 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: NU Guy

Originally Posted by 51driver View Post
Heres the deal people, I agree with many of you... I have many friends at am. flight and other 135 operations like so. There are some 121 operations that fly cargo, check into them. They have the best scheds, pay is awesome, upgrades are fast, and of course 1000 HRS of PIC TURBINE! These people go further faster than some moron at a regional airline. I can't stand how people have tunnel vision thinking the regionals are the way to go. So is you enjoy 10 year upgrades, work every wknd/holiday, and 18k a year a regional is PERFECT for you! I will be kicked back your ERJ going home on the weekend and holidays sipping a beer!
Some moron at a regional??? My guess is you are quite new. No I'm not at a regional.

A serious ? though what are the names of some of these awesome 121 operations so that others may apply?
Old 07-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008

I object... Upgrades for us are 3yrs, 1st yr pay is around 30,000 and will go up every year until 2014. Granted this is a new contract which has greatly improved our way of life. BTW, I've had pretty much every holiday off. Its the way you bid which determines that.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:22 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

Originally Posted by Luv2Rotate View Post
I object... Upgrades for us are 3yrs, 1st yr pay is around 30,000 and will go up every year until 2014. Granted this is a new contract which has greatly improved our way of life. BTW, I've had pretty much every holiday off. Its the way you bid which determines that.
Are you ever going to answer freightdog's question, or should I? Somehow I get the impression that these guys failed from a regional. Hardly the same caliber as our friends who made it to a major.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:30 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2011
Position: point guard

Originally Posted by Luv2Rotate View Post
Heard of a few AMF'rs that washed out of training because they couldn't manage the FMS or fly the flight director. Too much time on "raw data" could be an Achilles heal.
Flying "raw data" in the wx single pilot, no gps, no AP is a little more complicated than interpreting a FD and managing an FMS. The FD and FMS would make things easier. An AMF pilot could adapt rather quickly.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:48 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2009
Position: I am the Stig

Originally Posted by Beans Johnson View Post
Flying "raw data" in the wx single pilot, no gps, no AP is a little more complicated than interpreting a FD and managing an FMS. The FD and FMS would make things easier. An AMF pilot could adapt rather quickly.
That's a valid point. You can do this job, OR you can't. Learning to adapt/alter your skill set goes into that.

But it doesn't really matter what the guy's background was, nor where he's going. A training failure, specifically the type referenced above, is more of a personality deficiency/learning problem than anything else.

In other words, he can't learn to adapt his skill set, can't break out of his comfort zone and can't or doesn't want to learn a different way to do his job. He's too busy trying to wow people about his previous job, you know, "so there I was" type of crap to just shut the heck up, realize he may not know everything there is to know about flying. Wants to argue with his training partner/instructors about how "his way is better", or just flat out cooperate-graduate.

Again, doesn't matter where he's been, nor where he's going. All this crap about "(insert type here) are the best pilots and (insert type here) are inferior is such typical childish pilot crap.

Heres the deal people, I agree with many of you... I have many friends at am. flight and other 135 operations like so. There are some 121 operations that fly cargo, check into them. They have the best scheds, pay is awesome, upgrades are fast, and of course 1000 HRS of PIC TURBINE!
Absolutely agree!!!!!! But something to keep in mind. Some of the 135 cargo operators can have schedules that although the pilot may win the race to the TPIC building seat, the rate at which that time is built can be paiiiiiiiiiiinfulllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyy sllllllllllllllloooooooowwwwwwww if they're on a run, or the airplane does runs that don't fly that much in a duty period. Granted, being a reserve CA at a regional can be slow too, but many have workrules that can help a guy stuff the highly coveted/holy grail of 1000 TPIC in the book faster.

Last edited by forumname; 07-07-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:05 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat

FYI to those interested and qualified. Ameriflight is considering going back to the old practice of hiring DIRECTLY into the Be99 due to operational needs. Current employees will have first shot at bids. After that mgmt. will most likely go to the street.

Last edited by freightdog; 07-20-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:39 PM
In the dumpster fire

Joined APC: Jan 2010

Yeah! hire 99 pilots off the street when they have plenty of pa31 pilots who would take the 99's. Havent seen a 99 bid come out in several months! They are also hiring Metro captains off the street for positions that NEVER went up for bid. This is yet another issue I have with this company.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:36 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2010
Position: B-737

Originally Posted by SIUav8er View Post
Yeah! hire 99 pilots off the street when they have plenty of pa31 pilots who would take the 99's. Havent seen a 99 bid come out in several months! They are also hiring Metro captains off the street for positions that NEVER went up for bid. This is yet another issue I have with this company.
If your a PA-31 pilot who wants a 99 just put in a standing bid and you will have the option over OTS guys. The metro problem is the lack of turbine time of the people bidding. Thats not Ameriflights problem, they need to meet minimums too.