Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight etc vs. 121 world

Old 09-20-2007, 12:29 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Default More AMF questions...

freightdog,

If I understand correctly the 1900 & Metro are Single-pilot IFR. Are there good 1900/Metro opportunities out of OAK or SAC?

I read in another thead that some pilots work other jobs during their down time at the out-station. Is this common? IF so, what do these folks do? Are you at the outstation more than 8 hours on a typical day?

I watch the Merced BE99 guy down here often. I think he just goes to the crash pad.

Also, it appears that the San Jaun guys fly some of the lonegt legs. How easy is it to transfer to other bases within the company?

Thanks in advance

Cal99
Old 09-20-2007, 04:24 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat

Originally Posted by CAL99 View Post
freightdog,

If I understand correctly the 1900 & Metro are Single-pilot IFR. Are there good 1900/Metro opportunities out of OAK or SAC?

I read in another thead that some pilots work other jobs during their down time at the out-station. Is this common? IF so, what do these folks do? Are you at the outstation more than 8 hours on a typical day?

I watch the Merced BE99 guy down here often. I think he just goes to the crash pad.

Also, it appears that the San Jaun guys fly some of the lonegt legs. How easy is it to transfer to other bases within the company?

Thanks in advance

Cal99
Cal99,

Actually there are only Beech 99s out of MHR (Sacramento-Mather) and the only Metro runs are out of Oakland. Upgrade times to turbine equipment out of OAK can be lengthy because there are not that many turbine runs out of OAK and there are only three (3) 99 runs out of MHR.

Most of the pilots that hold a run for a while to a certain destination will get CFI jobs at the local airport or other odd end jobs, just to keep busy.

The San Juan base (SJU) never seems to need pilots. Thet usually hire pilots who are already living down there and whose Spanish is really good. But, just like any airline we have an internal bid system and you have the ability to put in a standing bid in at any of the bases and when a pilot slot opens up they refer to the standing bids first before hiring off the street.

freightdog
Old 09-23-2007, 01:29 PM
On Reserve

Just finished training at Ameriflight and proud to be here. When pilots leave they seem to go to Continental, Alaska, Southwest. One pilot just took a job at Cathay Pacific. The training was superb. The class that just started last week a couple of pilots were hired as PA31 but were converted to 99 Captains. The VP of Flight Operations told them PHX is going all turbine.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:11 PM
On Reserve

Ameriflight has a very good safety record, only one accident can I think of was due to a mechanical failure. All the rest have been pilot error.[/quote]

Keep in mind that Ameriflight flies about 2200 scheduled flights per week. The safety record from my view is very, very good and can't be beat in the 135 arena. I came here by choice and happy that I did. Although I am pretty new, everyone seems happy at AMF.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:06 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat

Originally Posted by 1st2000 View Post
Ameriflight has a very good safety record, only one accident can I think of was due to a mechanical failure. All the rest have been pilot error.
Keep in mind that Ameriflight flies about 2200 scheduled flights per week. The safety record from my view is very, very good and can't be beat in the 135 arena. I came here by choice and happy that I did. Although I am pretty new, everyone seems happy at AMF.[/QUOTE]

Welcome on board. Have fun.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:29 PM
New Hire

Thanks freight dog,

Hey more questions. How long can you a hold a route? I heard the SAC-Merced guy held it for quite awhile (1 year +). Does the company frown on this? I live in Merced, so I'd love to hang on to that run for as long a possible. Are there AMF lifers who do this sort of thing?

The OAK-LA Metro run appears to have quite a break in between. Departs early in the morning and return leg around 7-8 PM. Is this common?

I spoke to an AMF 1900 lifer in PHX. I kind of thought these folks would be a rare breed. I suppose to get F/o in the lear, you'll pretty much have to be a lifer.

Thanks again and hope you get the Sa227 soon,

Cal99
Old 10-21-2007, 02:53 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: BE-1900 CA

Originally Posted by CAL99 View Post
Hey more questions. How long can you a hold a route? I heard the SAC-Merced guy held it for quite awhile (1 year +). Does the company frown on this?
I don't think they do. From my experience, they have no problem with pilots who want to stay on the same run. Staying on the same run for a year is a little unusual (given the usual upgrades or career moves), but not unheard of. Just remember, a lot depends on your personal situation, equipment upgrades, and seniority.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:10 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2007

Ameriflight= Single pilot power
121= Dual crew power

You decide...
Old 12-19-2007, 01:25 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: Sofa Stress Tester

Originally Posted by Gurucito View Post
Ameriflight= Single pilot power
121= Dual crew power

You decide...
Ok...Can you be a little more informative.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:49 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Chrysler Pacifica

Probably a little late in this thread, but I thought I would add my two cents. I was a regional 121 guy and went to AMF for 10 months after my furlough. It was the worst aviation career experience of my life. My training captain was clueless about basic IFR practices, one was expected to read the FOM (none given in class) while on the job, and maintenance would try many shortcuts to clear the write-ups that they never wanted me to put in the books. No per diem paid on most regular trips, you have to pay to relocate (which you will most likely have to do if you upgrade to a better paying fleet), and you will get very little sleep and very little pay from the whole experience. PIC time is PIC by default - you're on your own for the most. Many many accidents on record. One of my training captains was killed after being pressured to fly while sick. Reserve pilots are almost non-existent.
Now for the short list of goodies: you can get hired right into the SA-227 or BE-99 if you got the time. MX is actually a lot better than the competition (very sad fact), and there are some great people working there who just don't know any better and think the job is great.
I would say, if you're really DESPERATE for some PIC turbine time, AMF will get you there, but be very careful and don't let em make you do something you will later regret.