Ameriflight etc vs. 121 world

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight etc vs. 121 world

Old 11-17-2006, 08:31 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: CRJ left

Does anyone know if there are any B99 based at PHX?? I know there are metros, but I'm wondering about the 99.

If it is a 99 base, how senior is it?

Just wondering cause I heard an Amflight B99 doing practice approaches around the Prescott area today....

Thx.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:36 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: C172, PA28, PA44...Right

Originally Posted by wildcat1 View Post
I think there is something in FLG, but I'm not familiar with that base.

As for minimum requirement to work at AMF:

(c) Except as provided in paragraph (a) of this section, no certificate holder may use a person, nor may any person serve, as pilot in command of an aircraft under IFR unless that person—

(1) Holds at least a commercial pilot certificate with appropriate category and class ratings and, if required, an appropriate type rating for that aircraft; and

(2) Has had at least 1,200 hours of flight time as a pilot, including 500 hours of cross country flight time, 100 hours of night flight time, and 75 hours of actual or simulated instrument time at least 50 hours of which were in actual flight; and

If you don't meet those, some have been able to work at AMF in the training department until they meet the minimums.
What exactly do pilots do in the training department to build time to meet the mins.? They obviously fly to build the time, but what are the details of it? Do they just sit right seat?
Old 11-19-2006, 01:00 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: Sofa Stress Tester

Originally Posted by ERAUdude View Post
What exactly do pilots do in the training department to build time to meet the mins.? They obviously fly to build the time, but what are the details of it? Do they just sit right seat?
They are the instructors, they'll give specific aircraft instruction and the other instrument instruction to fulfill the required training.
In other words your doing the same thing a part 141 instructor would do.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:17 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: Airplane Driver

Frieghtdog, you mentioned earlier that a lot of your pilots stick around and then get hired on directly with UPS or FedEx. How long do these guys stay at AMF. What is your typical night like? How many stops? When do you start end? ETC?
Old 01-30-2007, 10:11 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat
Default Amf

Originally Posted by rubbersidedown View Post
Frieghtdog, you mentioned earlier that a lot of your pilots stick around and then get hired on directly with UPS or FedEx. How long do these guys stay at AMF. What is your typical night like? How many stops? When do you start end? ETC?
rubbersidedown,

Not a lot get hired to FedEx or UPS, but some do get there. Well, the next questions are kinda loaded questions with a lot of explanations needed; I will try my best...
For the Chieftain pilots...The runs out of BUR are bank and courier runs that depart early in the AM with anywhere between 1-3 stops in the morning. Then, the pilots stay at the layover for the day and then wait for drivers to deliver evening work from the banks and couriers and then fly between 1-3 legs at night. Chieftains come back into BUR between 1930-2330 at night, depending on the run that day. In the morning expect to be at the airport between 0500-0620, depending on the run that you are doing. If you have anymore questions...let me know.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:35 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: Airplane Driver

What do you do at your layover spot? I was under the impression that you tookoff at sundown and returned home around morning and made a few stops along the way. I guess its a little different here. Is this monday through Thursday or Friday? Do you get a chance to have much of a life outside of work? What is your QOL?
Old 01-31-2007, 12:56 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Default Amf

Originally Posted by rubbersidedown View Post
What do you do at your layover spot? I was under the impression that you tookoff at sundown and returned home around morning and made a few stops along the way. I guess its a little different here. Is this monday through Thursday or Friday? Do you get a chance to have much of a life outside of work? What is your QOL?
Depends on which layover you are at. All but one of the layovers has a crew car. If you go to the layover in Mammoth then you could go skiing, hiking, sleep, surf the internet, or sleep some more. We have a layover in San Diego and you can do pretty much anything as long as you show up for your evening flights. I would definately invest in a good laptop with wireless capability. The first months are always the roughest for new pilots out of BUR (I can't speak for other bases). They will usually get the less desired runs, but those runs still have descent flight times. The flights operate M-F with weekends off and you do come home every night. As for QOL, it's whatever you make of your time at the layover and on the weekends. We've had some pilots that didn't do their research and got the job here and ended up not liking it because the lifestyle was a lot different then what they expected. If you really want to work here then you will enjoy yourself. If AMF is your third or fourth choice of airlines to go to and others did not hire you or you haven't heard back from them, then you might not like the lifestyle. If you want to go fly a shiny new jet then AMF is not for you. But, if you want to sharpen your IFR skills, get a lot of line experience, and become a good stick, then AMF is definately for you. You'll be doing a lot of hand flying in IMC in single pilot operations flying into BFE airports with an NDB only approach down (well, maybe not that severe). A lot of people have used AMF as a spring board for their careers. Upgrade to turbine is fairly fast and it's all PIC TIME! Let me know if I can answer any more questions; I'd be more than happy to.

Fly Safe
Old 01-31-2007, 03:42 PM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

Freightdogs' post is too positive, it should be deleted at once!!!!

Seriously though, he's right. The 135 single-pilot ops almost "Force" a learning curve upon you. In the end, you have to have the skills to pass the check-ride, but once you're on your own, it's all you!!!! The lifestyle is definately different, and each operator works on their schedule. My company does a healthy mix of nightly runs to on-demand work at all hours of the day/night. I love being a Freight Dog!!!
Old 02-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Che Guevara

Joined APC: Aug 2005

Originally Posted by dckozak View Post
That said, if you can fly single pilot in an multi engine airplane (turbine or otherwise), without an autopilot, at night in IFR; you are doing the hardest civilian flying out there. bar none.
Good luck, and (quickly) learn to multi task, you'll need the skill.
I thought to fly single pilot 135 in a twin you had to have an autopilot. Is that not true?
Old 02-10-2007, 04:56 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Default APs

Originally Posted by ToiletDuck View Post
I thought to fly single pilot 135 in a twin you had to have an autopilot. Is that not true?
In the Part 135 regs you need an autopilot if you are carrying passengers and you are single pilot, then you may use an autopilot in lieu of an SIC. However, if the AP is NOT working then an SIC is required.

When is comes to cargo the FAA does not care. Almost all freight operators operate single pilot. With the exception of the aircraft that require two pilots by the regs.